Setting up my 2014 Feeger for long distance riding - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Setting up my 2014 Feeger for long distance riding

Greetings. I have gotten the bug to travel much longer distances on my FJR. The goal I’ve set for myself is to work up to a 1,000 miles in one day. (No desire to join the Iron Butt Riders, Lol &#x1f602 I have researched what those Long distance Riders choose to add to their bikes for increased safety, comfort and protection. Here are the items I’ve chosen to add to my FJR...
* ASV unbreakable Clutch and Break Levers (I have wide palms and short fingers)...what a difference!
* Barkbusters VPS Handguards
* MCA X-Creen Wind Deflector - does an incredible job at reducing Wind noise and Helmet Buffeting.
* Puig Touring Windshield - The widest windscreen I could find...
* Skene Photo Blasters (Amber) with Turnsignal integration...
* Grip Puppies to absorb Handlebar vibration...
* Sit and Fly Seat Cover...keep the “Boys, Family Jewels” cool and Butt comfy...
* Scott Cathey Dash Mount...Superb Quality, beautiful and easy install, the best place to mount Electronics...
* Garmin Zumo XP...IMHO, the best on the market...
* Radenso Pro M Radar Detector...once again, IMHO, the best I’ve ever used...
*** I will expose my secret weapon for additional long distant comfort in the saddle...don’t tell anyone...Mountain Bike Shorts! I wear them like underwear! Lots of padded comfort for the Sitz Bone 😊
Well, that’s where I am so far, have a great day and avoid the Corona!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 10:27 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Greetings. I have gotten the bug to travel much longer distances on my FJR. The goal Iíve set for myself is to work up to a 1,000 miles in one day. (No desire to join the Iron Butt Riders, Lol &#x1f602 I have researched what those Long distance Riders choose to add to their bikes for increased safety, comfort and protection. Here are the items Iíve chosen to add to my FJR...
* ASV unbreakable Clutch and Break Levers (I have wide palms and short fingers)...what a difference!
* MCA X-Creen Wind Deflector - does an incredible job at reducing Wind noise and Helmet Buffeting.
* Sit and Fly Seat Cover...keep the ďBoys, Family JewelsĒ cool and Butt comfy...
* Scott Cathey Dash Mount...Superb Quality, beautiful and easy install, the best place to mount Electronics...
* Garmin Zumo XP...IMHO, the best on the market...
* Radenso Pro M Radar Detector...once again, IMHO, the best Iíve ever used...
*** I will expose my secret weapon for additional long distant comfort in the saddle...donít tell anyone...Mountain Bike Shorts! I wear them like underwear! Lots of padded comfort for the Sitz Bone 😊
Well, thatís where I am so far, have a great day and avoid the Corona!
A few years ago I bought some mountain bike short as a recommendation ( for trip across country ) By Way of Motorcycle .. ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAH...CZl52wJoikV2SA awesome you tube channel ... but I never wore them .. felt like waded up sock in my undies ..
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 10:53 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

For the bike:

Highway pegs - even if you don't typically use them, they sure are good to stretch out on once in a while.
Consider an airhawk cushion. For the $100 better to have it and not use it than figure out you need it later. You can resell it easily later if you don't use it.
Tire Pressure monitoring? It's nice to monitor that.

For you more than the bike...

A couple of different kind of earplugs - foam squishies, silicone, etc. (unless you know for sure what works for you for hours at a time, over days)
Hydration, and a lot of it
Lock and rain/night cover
Rain gear for you

Do the loctite thing to the screws in your luggage
FJRChuck likes this.

Current bike: 2015 FJR1300A
Previous bike: 2014 NC750x

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for the additional ideas! I totally forgot my Harley Sportster Hiway pegs on my Canyon Cages.. I always use earplugs, I will apply some Locktite for sure. What is hard to believe, on Iron Butt Rallies (1,000 miles a day for 11 days straight???) that’s how long the engine oil will last without harm. Maybe synthetic?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 10:59 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Greetings. I have gotten the bug to travel much longer distances on my FJR. The goal Iíve set for myself is to work up to a 1,000 miles in one day. (No desire to join the Iron Butt Riders, Lol &#x1f602 I have researched what those Long distance Riders choose to add to their bikes for increased safety, comfort and protection. Here are the items Iíve chosen to add to my FJR...
* Sit and Fly Seat Cover...keep the ďBoys, Family JewelsĒ cool and Butt comfy...!
What size sit and fly seat cover did you get? I am interested in one for the rider seat only, not the passenger section.

Dennis Peterson
2007 FJR1300
2001 GL1800 Goldwing
1969 Triumph Bonniville
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 11:06 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the additional ideas! I totally forgot my Harley Sportster Hiway pegs on my Canyon Cages.. I always use earplugs, I will apply some Locktite for sure. What is hard to believe, on Iron Butt Rallies (1,000 miles a day for 11 days straight???) thatís how long the engine oil will last without harm. Maybe synthetic?
For sure synthetic, but I've seen guys do it on the way as well.

Not a lot of guys try for that patch...

"The only barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it."
2008 Yamaha FJR1300AE
2002 Honda ST1100
...fully farkled.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 12:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale I View Post
For sure synthetic, but I've seen guys do it on the way as well.

Not a lot of guys try for that patch...
Nor gals. Let's not forget last yr's winner- Wendy Crockett.
philharmonic, passx and neerbeer like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 02:04 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Nor gals. Let's not forget last yr's winner- Wendy Crockett.
Absolutely no offense intended... (she's an animal!)

"The only barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it."
2008 Yamaha FJR1300AE
2002 Honda ST1100
...fully farkled.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 05:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
You are ready for your 1000 mile day. It's not that hard. Just leave early and stay on the bike. You may rethink that seat thing after doing it.

At the risk of starting another seat thread just find something that works for you. If it's the stock seat then even better.
bounce likes this.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 07:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

I also added a purple pad seat cushion ..it's on the bike right now ..and on longer rides ( 400 miles yesterday ) I add the air hawk on top of that !

I my 6 times across the country on my Bandit ..I used and air hawk and ...for 2o $$ a self inflating seat cushion ,, my biggest limitation is pain in my hips...knees or butt ...
Oh .. camelback hydration pack is an excellent add on
for hot riding also a cooling vest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page