FJR Owners Forum banner

This horn is pathetic! I need a real horn

6K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  JohnC 
#1 ·
What do you guys suggest would be a good horn and easy to install? Thanks

#3 ·
Fiamm Freeway Blasters. Get both the high and low tone, You'll sound like a big-ass Buick. Amazon or NAPA for under $30

Or confuse people and get an air horn, Stebel is no longer super expensive, just be sure to get a wiring harness with relay or you'll risk burning out the horn button.

I wound up using two Low tone blasters and it's nice and loud. All stock motorcycle horns are wimpy crap.

#5 ·
This, +1.

Reactions: passx
#15 ·
I don't know where the OP is located, but Princess Auto in Canada sells a 'Freeway Blaster' for $20 in the discount section. Claims to be 'loudest' horn, but just sounds like a car horn. Installation is simple on a 2020. Undo nut holding stock horn and pull off quck connects. Plug quick conncets onto new horn and bolt back in place with OEM mounting hardware. It is bigger than the stock horn so make sure you are able to turn steering to full lock. You may have to bend the thin metal mounting arm a bit but it fits and works fine.

#17 ·
If using the PIAA's no relay needed. If only one horn Gen3, simply get two spade connector adapter and run an extra wire to the right side... mount second PIAA there on rad screw, use a little loctite and don't overtighten (and strip it).

Reactions: SpokaneJim
#18 · (Edited)
If using the PIAA's no relay needed. If only one horn Gen3, simply get two spade connector adapter and run an extra wire to the right side... mount second PIAA there on rad screw, use a little loctite and don't overtighten (and strip it).
Michael,

Here is the "two spade connector adapter" terminal that you may need (see below), if you need jumpers to connect two horns to the stock horn wiring. Crimp one horn wire into this terminal, and make the jumper wire(s) needed from a length of wire, with a female blade terminal at each end. This trick terminal lets you use the jumper wire(s) to connect two horns to the stock wires. Auto parts stores, Ace hardware (in the USA), and even the home improvement centers will have them.

I would recommend adding a horn relay, so the extra load does not slowly wreck your horn button (the horn button is not all that strong). Relays are cheaper than FJR horn button assemblies, but relays last a good long time anyway. Do a Search for Horn Relay write-ups , if needed.

Attachments

#21 ·
I could barely hear the stock horn in my own helmet on my '14, so I changed out to these: HELLA 011225802 Black 77mm 12V BX Disc Horn Kit

Much improved sound level and it still sounds like a motorcycle horn. Less than $25 at the time from Amazon.

My thought process was that if I have to use the horn, someone didn't see my motorcycle. If my horn sounds like a Buick, they would start looking for a Buick. If it sounds like a semi, they would start looking for a semi.

If it sounds like a motorcycle, they would look for a motorcycle, IMO. YMMY

#22 ·
I could barely hear the stock horn in my own helmet on my '14, so I changed out to these: HELLA 011225802 Black 77mm 12V BX Disc Horn Kit

Much improved sound level and it still sounds like a motorcycle horn. Less than $25 at the time from Amazon.

My thought process was that if I have to use the horn, someone didn't see my motorcycle. If my horn sounds like a Buick, they would start looking for a Buick. If it sounds like a semi, they would start looking for a semi.

If it sounds like a motorcycle, they would look for a motorcycle, IMO. YMMY
I like your thinking. Do I need a horn relay for this one?

#24 ·
Got to try my horn in earnest today. Guy comes up to a stop on my right, I'm looking right at him. He sits there a second, then just pulls out. I grabbed brakes on the right and laid on the horn on the left..laid on it... Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! and kept on it, even after he was going straight in front of me. I don't think this guy would have been intimidated if it had been a train horn. He did roll down his window and give me the sorry hand sign out his window. FJR horn is not the most intimidating I have heard, but like I said in this case I don't think it would have made a difference. Once he started out, he wasn't going to stop.

#25 ·
I've discovered this as well. I have the PIAA set and some old guy must have thought the horns didn't apply to him when he decided to go straight instead of lane shift.

#26 ·
Yep, I have the dual Piaa’s as well, quite a bit more than the pathetic stocker, but they really don’t help much with some people, but they will get some of them to properly acknowledge you with the single finger salute ! Be safe out there people!

Reactions: the Ferret
#30 ·
I have the Slim Lines, good choice IMO.

#31 ·
For my sport bike, kept the OEM horn, adding two slimline PIAA along with it. So I have three horns.

Avoided modifying any OEM fuses or wiring for quick and complete reversibility.

Originally, the horn switch on the handlebar powered the (~3 Amp) OEM horn directly.

Changed it so that the horn switch powered a relay instead.

The relay is powering the OEM + two PIAA horns. Relay draws power from battery via added 10A inline fuse.

Here's how I accomplished this.

https://www.r6-forum.com/threads/guide-for-wiring-new-horns.444878/

Obviously a different bike, but may give y'all some ideas.

#32 ·
I installed these from Amazon. They were a bit tricky to conceal but if I can figure it out anyone can. They require a relay (supplied) to spare your horn button the 20A current draw of the compressor. They are LOUD. I gave a quick toot to a critter standing in the middle of a back road and not only did the critter scramble away in terror, my riding buddy caught up to me (we had been about 100 yards apart) to tell me how they were still audible to him (with a nice Shoei helmet on) @ 60mph!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWA7NU4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#33 ·
I mounted two Piaa Slim Line horns on my 17. Easy peasy like Ray said a couple of pages back. Simply to make the wire harness and connect the second horn using the right side radiator mount bolt. (were there isn't a horn on 13s and after).

I like these so much I am going to mount a pair on my mighty DR650 to move range cattle off the forest service roads. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.