Oil leak - pickup rotor cover - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Oil leak - pickup rotor cover

I have an oil leak that appears to be coming from the pickup rotor cover, where the wiring enters. Recently, I was in there to do valve clearance check. I used a new gasket and 8.7 foot pounds. Iíve ordered another new gasket. Anyone else have trouble in this area? Any gasket treatment - permatex? It seems it might be difficult for a metal gasket to seal with the rubber block for the wiring. The rest of the engine is dry. First panic was the valve cover gasket. (It took some time to soak the foam in the fairing and start to spot the garage.

Thank,
Ray

2013 FJR1300A #337
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:01 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
When you go back together with that use some yamabond 4 around the electrical grommet. that will help
TownsendsFJR1300 and RERJr like this.

Two kind of people, those of us that ride and everyone else
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 12:43 AM
Farkle Trainee

I know many time we are told by the gasket manufactures .. no sealant needed .. I say bull..always get leaks ..I stopped believing them
Use a thin layer of Permatex grey or Black .. runs about 8 $$ for a tube ... works for all your gasket needs
RERJr, rbentnail, Mr. BR and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 06:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
I know many time we are told by the gasket manufactures .. no sealant needed .. I say bull..always get leaks ..I stopped believing them
Use a thin layer of Permatex grey or Black .. runs about 8 $$ for a tube ... works for all your gasket needs
^ This. Every time.
passx likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks. I got some ďultra black.Ē Both sides of the metal gasket I assume? Back in my day, RTV, silicone bathtub caulk, was the only thing that kept the points dry.

Thanks all,
Ray

2013 FJR1300A #337
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 07:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
You don't need sealer with that type of gasket however, as posted above (and likely in the shop manual) Yamabond sealer IS to be applied around that rubber grommet.

Scott

2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Probably a dumb question, willing to take abuse. Where does the oil come from in the pickup rotor compartment? Run down the cam chain? And how/where does it return? Area is wet but no volume to speak of. Ive been looking for some kind of flow diagram, no luck.

2013 FJR1300A #337
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 03:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RERJr View Post
Probably a dumb question, willing to take abuse. Where does the oil come from in the pickup rotor compartment? Run down the cam chain? And how/where does it return? Area is wet but no volume to speak of. Ive been looking for some kind of flow diagram, no luck.
Oil is pumped up to the camshafts, obviously comes out (oils valve springs, etc) and via gravity/moving parts, is slung about and down (into the cam chain, clutch, etc) area's..

It eventually drops / returns, (again gravity) to the crankcase.

Your Yamaha shop manual should have the oiling diagram.

Scott

2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-04-2020 at 03:11 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I have an FSM. Iíll look some more. Thanks.

2013 FJR1300A #337
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 06:54 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

As said above, gravity and sling, no oil pressure in there. Gasket does have a wee strip of sealer on it, but always a little film of RTV on the grommet will fix you up.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page