FJR Owners Forum banner

2015 ECU flash review

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Mr_Ed 
#1 ·
Hello all! New guy here.upstate NY area.figured id give a semi in depth review of ivans flash....my recent bike history..2017 R1, 2017 fz10, 2013 fz1, 2013 stryker...now 2015 fjr1300...All bikes were flashed. I can 100% say the fjr needed the flash the least out of all those bikes,or any bike ive ridden. Im going out on a limb saying most (2015) fjr owners would be fine with the bike stock.never had a bike without a flash so ive been spoiled and now find fault i never would have noticed. Surging around 3500-4500 rpm, slow throttle response, clunky shifts...All of that is gone...butter smooth,faster throttle,less vibration..slow speed riding much easier.3rd riding mode is awesome..pulls way better than T mode but a lil less than S mode. All the small things that bothered me about the ride are gone..at $350 i would say its not worth it to most fjr owners..Yamaha did well..but when you are so used to the smoothness a flash adds,its hard too go without.

#17 · (Edited)
I am a believer in Ivan's work and products but my 2015 is so smooth I almost cannot think it could get better but then this is mt 1st FJR.

Thanks for the review on the flash.
I've got a '13 and had the 82 mph cruise control speed limit. It didn't bother me enough to spend $600 for a new ECU, but I did spring for the Ivan's flash at $350 primarily for the cruise limit fix.

With that said, I too find that I can take off from a stop more smoothly, shift more smoothly at whatever speed I'm rolling. I can drop throttle going into a corner then roll on more smoothly as I approach the apex.

I still like the S mode better than T or Ivan's.

Mileage seems about where it was; I can't tell it's any more or less. I keep forgetting to use 89 octane, but it's running good on 87 :laugh:

All in all, I'm pleased with the rideability improvement and very pleased to be able to set the cruise on whatever the heck I want.

#3 ·
I don't know. A '15 FJR owner on one of the other sandboxes swears by it. He was one of the first to try it. I trust his advice. In fact it was his recommendation that made me decide to try it on my '13 FJR. I haven't ridden it yet. Years ago I though my '04 FJR's fueling was fine. Until I installed a Power Commander......

#4 ·
You have a '13 now? That bland, boring lack of color suits your bland and boring personality. You would probably be better off with a Honda ST1300.

If the guy in the other sandbox is George/EscapeFJRtist, he does say good things about the Ivan Flash. And like you, I trust his advice.

Great to see your name pop up from time to time.

#9 ·
I've had Ivan flash 5 of my bikes: 2015 Concours, 2 Kawasaki z900rs (Cafe and standard), 2018 Kawasaki ZX-14, and the 2014 FJR. Without a doubt, the least noticeable result is on the FJR. If I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't do the FJR. It did make a world of difference on the Concours. It will leave the FJR in the dust.

#10 · (Edited)
Redfish/skooter........wtf ? I hope you guy’s are really friends....

Kansfjr,,,,, I can understand the lack of a really noticeable difference since that 14 of yours is already the mucho fastest color red to be envied by all others ������ hard to improve on sheer perfection ya know. That Should get the rest of them riled up a bit ya think ? Ray was so disappointed in his candy cow pie since he realized it would never keep up so he just sold it!

I fully expect redfish above to announce that he has sold his after getting a regular whooping from His Pops, ultimately, super fast & beautiful Red 14. I’m going back to sleep now �� good night!

#13 · (Edited)
**** a flash, I got theeeeee fastest 2003 liquid silver. Barbarian Jumper mod so I can adjust right from the dash!!! JK, got too much going on but will be doing that soon as I know they came lean which means HOT.

Working on mostly CV carbs will teach you sound. You really can tell. That and what the plugs look like. But I will more than likely get a commander and Ivan does seem to be the man.

#16 ·
Nunia, you must be a youngin not to know That red is always the fastest color, look up what color gets the most tickets,,,,, red.

Anyway, seriously I would bet money that the fjr is not lean past maybe 2200rpm and I would also bet that it is actually rich above 2500. Couple of things I learned on my buddies dyno is that the butt dyno lies like h**l and that actual sound tells you very little about jetting, more about ignition timing and I've never ever seen anyone properly tune an engine by ear, ,, ever !

When you're at Sturgis try to get your bike on a dyno with a lambda (exhaust a/f) sensor,you might be surprised.

#19 ·
Are the improvements evident in the S mode also , or only when in the new Ivan mode ?

George
All modes. Bear in mind that the modes only affect how the throttle works. In S mode you turn the throttle less to achieve what you do in T mode with a little more. Somewhere on here there's a dyno chart for both, and they're virtually identical. Ivan's mode is somewhere in between.

If S is too quick for you and T is too slow you might like Ivan's mode.

#21 ·
Very interesting to hear this groups take on the flash. Been lurking here as I'm considering going to the FJR from my current Concours 14 that's been flashed by Ivan. Extremely pleased with the flash as it transformed the bike. Doesn't sound like the changes are as drastic with the FJR. Wish the FJR had ram air and I'm thinking I will notice the difference? Either way Ivan will get my next ECU what ever go with.

#23 ·
All I can say on the red vs. everything else thing is that I once owned an '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (red) at the same time that I owned a '92 Kawasaki Voyager 1200 (black). Both were 1200s, but the red bike was one heckuva lot faster. Just sayin' .........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.