a little help for adjusting the headlights - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes
  • 7 Post By lumpytaters
  • 1 Post By red

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

a little help for adjusting the headlights

So, I've got big, arthritic hands and on my Gen 2 and now Gen 3, I had a hard time getting a secure enough grip to adjust the headlights. So, I made myself a headlight knob wrench and thought I'd share.

1/2" copper pipe, I went with 8" long
1/2" by 1" reducing coupler
1/2" Tee
2 rivets
JB Weld
plastic wrap (the thin stretchy kitchen kind)
cooking spray

I put the rivets through the side to give the JB weld something to hold onto and keep from spinning.
I used the JB Weld putty and placed it into the 1" end of the coupler.
I wrapped the adjustment knob with the plastic, sprayed it with cooking spray (as a release), and pressed it in.
I waited a couple of minutes for the JB Weld to start to firm up and then removed the knob and then the plastic wrap.

Fits perfect.

I keep it in the right saddlebag with the other tools and parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200801_000721066_iOS.jpg (94.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20200801_000705538_iOS.jpg (373.0 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 08:50 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

lumpytaters,

GENIUS!

My kinda gadget! Maybe I don't need it (so far), but I'm sure others will appreciate the share.
passx likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Nice. For those that haven't seen how easy it is to adjust your headlights (barring the above physical challenges), here's one.

http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/headlight.html

with how to set up your "aiming wall" detailed here (for a car but the aiming is the same).

https://www.fjr-tips.org/sti/hla/hla.html

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 03:20 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

I just wanted to add a bit to that information:

If you have epoxy which is thin, like the consistency of honey, but you need something more like chewing gum or putty, you can "stiffen" the mixture.
Add dry sawdust to the mix, while you are mixing, to get the mixture thicker. Any hardwood sawdust will work, I guess, but you can use fine sawdust, from fine sandpaper (not from a saw), on the classy little jobs. Epoxy does not have great strength, of itself, so (I believe) the sawdust filler can make the "build" stronger in some ways.

Cautionary note: Never mix epoxy in wax-paper cups, because the wax will make the set-up fail to happen, and all you get is a useless mess. I use disposable little plastic salsa cups (from the fast-food places) for mixing epoxy batches. You can see through them, so if you are mixing two-tone epoxy (hardener and resin of different colors), you can see when the mix is "thorough" enough. Most places will give you some salsa cups for the asking, or I have bought an entire sleeve of salsa cups from the manager at times, for a few bucks. Amazon will sell you all the salsa cups you'd ever need, for maybe a ten$pot.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 06:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
I just wanted to add a bit to that information:

If you have epoxy which is thin, like the consistency of honey, but you need something more like chewing gum or putty, you can "stiffen" the mixture.
Add dry sawdust to the mix, while you are mixing, to get the mixture thicker. Any hardwood sawdust will work, I guess, but you can use fine sawdust, from fine sandpaper (not from a saw), on the classy little jobs. Epoxy does not have great strength, of itself, so (I believe) the sawdust filler can make the "build" stronger in some ways.

Cautionary note: Never mix epoxy in wax-paper cups, because the wax will make the set-up fail to happen, and all you get is a useless mess. I use disposable little plastic salsa cups (from the fast-food places) for mixing epoxy batches. You can see through them, so if you are mixing two-tone epoxy (hardener and resin of different colors), you can see when the mix is "thorough" enough. Most places will give you some salsa cups for the asking, or I have bought an entire sleeve of salsa cups from the manager at times, for a few bucks. Amazon will sell you all the salsa cups you'd ever need, for maybe a ten$pot.
I'm surprised you haven't had trouble with those cups. I work at a company that makes them. I'd think the food grade release agent might be problematic.

Just like when whipping egg whites, I never use plastic containers for epoxy, molding plastics, etc. mixing. Plastics hold oil no matter how much washing occurs. I use metal only.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 01:24 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
I'm surprised you haven't had trouble with those cups. I work at a company that makes them. I'd think the food grade release agent might be problematic. Just like when whipping egg whites, I never use plastic containers for epoxy, molding plastics, etc. mixing. Plastics hold oil no matter how much washing occurs. I use metal only.
Russ,

I have never had that problem arise. You raise a valid point, though, and at work, they gave us small flat foil cups for mixing epoxies and polyester resins. They are called "Aluminum Weighing Dishes." Thanks. I will be ordering some, and see if I find any difference in the results. Amazon has the Weighing Dishes, of course. The link came out weird, but it works.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A

Last edited by red; 08-02-2020 at 02:43 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I also found the headlight adjuster knobs to be too stiff for my fingers to grasp. I just took off a knob and I cut a piece of plastic pipe a few inches long. On the end that is supposed to grip the knob I cut some notches something like a castle nut to grip the knob. I can more easily get a grip on the pipe ( kids hockey net). I don't have a picture of it. A piece of pvc electrical conduit would likely work too.

David

2015 Black FJR A
2009 Silver Roadstar Silverado S
2009 Silver Grey C50 CSE
2005 Black Silver C50 SE
1982 Suzuki GS 750 T
1977 Suzuki GS 750
1976 Suzuki GT 550
1974 Honda XL 100
Lil Indian 2 1/4 hp Briggs & Statton
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 10:44 AM
Farkle Trainee

heck I wish I could get my nobs off ( I want to install different bulbs) but appears the previous owner stripped then lock tite them on!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 08:00 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

W8lifter you don't have your bike in your signature line.....
If you have a Gen2, you can undo the cable once you remove the black dash panel... did that on mine and never removed the knobs. Tight fit though.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page