Fork seals - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Fork seals

What the actual fork seal is going on with these stock seals?!?!?!??!! Went to take a spin tonight on my ‘05 and dumped it on the edge of the driveway and grass thankfully, so no damage to the bike. It flat out swapped ends on me as I was just letting out of the clutch. Once I got it back upright I looked at both sides of the wheel and the right side was SOAKED in fork oil as was the tire. The left side started leaking the night after I bought it as the old fellow hadn’t rode it in awhile. I was in the garage 3/4 days ago looking over the bike and nothing on it.

So needless to say folks, give ya bike the once over before throwing a leg over. Hoping to be able to go ahead and get in the shop for fork rebuild, new springs, and a new front tire. Leaning towards A Specs in either Pirelli Angel GT front and GT2 rear or Michelin Road 5GT set.

Upside, FINALLY got my 3rd gen rear shock in from Aussie land after a month and a half.

2005 FJR1300 non abs
Corbin Smuggler
Murph's peg lowering kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 10:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Forks rarely leak in the garage. The leak starts when you are riding and pumping fluid up and down, getting it warm. Had you performed a complete inspection before departing it is very likely you would have found nothing amiss.

As for tires, the Pirelli Angel GTs are good, the -2 and the A-spec. But the only tire I would want less than a Michelin Pilot 5 is a Shinko 016.

Am very surprised at how sickenly happy I am with a Bridgestone T31 GT on front and PR4GT on rear. This combination occurred by accident when my rear T31 developed a leak that I couldn't repair. And I'm too cheap to throw away a perfectly good front T31 when it had half its tread remaining. A new PR4GT front is waiting.

The Bridgestone T30 and T31 are perhaps the best value tires for FJR today. Maybe 75% the life of PR4GT at 2/3 cost. Your cost to mount might tip cost-per-mile in favor of PR4, math required. My T31 GT front is riding sweet right to the cords, no matter the scalloping which can not be avoided.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Forks rarely leak in the garage. The leak starts when you are riding and pumping fluid up and down, getting it warm. Had you performed a complete inspection before departing it is very likely you would have found nothing amiss.

As for tires, the Pirelli Angel GTs are good, the -2 and the A-spec. But the only tire I would want less than a Michelin Pilot 5 is a Shinko 016.

Am very surprised at how sickenly happy I am with a Bridgestone T31 GT on front and PR4GT on rear. This combination occurred by accident when my rear T31 developed a leak that I couldn't repair. And I'm too cheap to throw away a perfectly good front T31 when it had half its tread remaining. A new PR4GT front is waiting.

The Bridgestone T30 and T31 are perhaps the best value tires for FJR today. Maybe 75% the life of PR4GT at 2/3 cost. Your cost to mount might tip cost-per-mile in favor of PR4, math required. My T31 GT front is riding sweet right to the cords, no matter the scalloping which can not be avoided.
While I would agree with your statement full heartedly would agree about the leaking, how ever, the bike has been sitting in the garage for the most of July waiting for some parts, and other thing going on right now personally. Even though I had not road it, I had spent plenty of time with my hands on it, sitting on it, moving it around, trying different parts out. Then sat for 3-4 days and I came out to do something else, take a quick spin, you know the rest. I am 49 years old and I have been riding for 45 of those years, so yeah, I knew better not to look it over quickly, but this time it bit me in the butt.

I am now debating between going with All Balls seals and dust caps or go back with oem

David

2005 FJR1300 non abs
Corbin Smuggler
Murph's peg lowering kit

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 12:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shelton View Post
I am now debating between going with All Balls seals and dust caps or go back with oem
When the time comes I will select between SKF fork seals and dust caps vs OE Yamaha (not just seals from the manufacturer Yamaha buys from).

There are times I trust All-Balls, however in recent years SKF seals have really proven themselves in the dirtbike world.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 05:03 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

For the shock to have leaked so much oil so quickly, the whole seal must have popped out of it's housing.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
For the shock to have leaked so much oil so quickly, the whole seal must have popped out of it's housing.
I have spent most of the night looking to see what may have happened. Left side has been spitting at me then stopped. Right side, I am thinking that maybe the retention ring that is installed after the seal is installed may have become dislodged from the groove.

I just finished making my own version of a seal mate with two slightly different hooks on the end. Fingers crossed I get it on the lift, pull up the dust seals and find a bunch of crap, or the retention ring dislodged. Hoping to put off the fork rebuild until winter time and give me more time to figure out what I’m going to go with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 516ACB84-28ED-4A95-A21D-8B658B0D3D59_1598007894426.jpeg (61.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg C67841B4-4793-478C-B4A1-EFC483897D0B_1598007911291.jpeg (73.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpeg 65AEFC9E-1202-44DE-A760-9DD615A8EE2F_1598007927671.jpeg (115.0 KB, 11 views)

2005 FJR1300 non abs
Corbin Smuggler
Murph's peg lowering kit
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shelton View Post
When the time comes I will select between SKF fork seals and dust caps vs OE Yamaha (not just seals from the manufacturer Yamaha buys from).

There are times I trust All-Balls, however in recent years SKF seals have really proven themselves in the dirtbike world.
Now that is what I like to hear, positive input with some enthusiasm. I was looking at SKF, but dismissed them since I had seen no mention in the threads I have read so far. Reading through the threads between forks and tires since about midnight.

I did back the dampening adjusters all the way ccw and then set them both same amount cw and done the same to the rear shock. I will say that for my robust pear shape size, she did ride and handle considerably better.

Love this group and appreciate everyone in it.

David

2005 FJR1300 non abs
Corbin Smuggler
Murph's peg lowering kit
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 07:29 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The SealMate will buy you some time, as you likely have dirt or dried bug guts preventing a good seal. You can lift the dust seals and see if the wire retainer came out, but that would be very unlikely.
Oil level is always above the seal, so with air compressing as the forks travel, it will put more oil pressure in the seal area. I have had seals leak just from tying it down on a trailer and leaving it for a few days. Same deal, there was dirt build-up and it wouldn't quit while I rode.
OEM seals are good, but SKF are premium silicone-like materials. Might be a little harder to find, and expect to pay more. IF I had a dirt bike, I'd have them for sure, but I've never used more than OEM on FJR's.
Note, get the wire retainers from a Honda ST1300 or Kawi C-14 (48mm forks), with their design they are much easier to remove next time.
2GENAE and mattemike like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
I would estimate the amount of oil lost to be a little more than 1/4 cup. It pooled up on the right side of the rim with the steering to the left, ran down the tire, soaking the equivalent to my 2xl hands, and then left a wee puddle on the floor of the garage. My first panic was it HAD to be a busted brake hose and was going to ruin the wheel finish. After checking lines top to bottom they were bone dry. Then I felt the fluid and realized it was in fact oil.

Bike had probably set 5-8 months prior to me taking it for a spin. So going from a 162lb man to a 290lb man she just revolted and said fork you fatty get off me.
Bernie and skippy344! like this.

2005 FJR1300 non abs
Corbin Smuggler
Murph's peg lowering kit
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 08:00 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Just wondering do you keep it on the center stand or side stand when it sits in the garage? My 08 started leaking just a little bit when sitting. When I got the bike I kept it on the center stand but got lazy and quit doing that. It wasn't long after that the leaking occurred. I used a seal mate a couple of times and started keeping it on the center stand as I don't ride it very often at all. I rode 300 miles yesterday and didn't have even a bit of seeping.

I just wonder if it's leaving the forks compressed along with the weight of the bike that will eventually force fluid past suspect seals. Putting it on the center stand really takes a lot of weight off the front end as I can easily lift the front of the bike by pulling up on the front wheel.

Maybe you should just clean your seals, top off the level and see if leaving it on the center stand when storing prevents the issue from happening again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page