Turn key on and nothing - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Turn key on and nothing

Help. I went out to ride my 2006 FJR. Turned the key and nothing. No display light up, no display sweep, no nothing. Any thoughts about what might be causing this would be helpful. Don’t think it’s battery as I just got a brand new one in May. But clueless as to what it might be. Could it be ground spider issue, ignition switch gone bad? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Karl-Heinz Becker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 10:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

ll the first place you have to start is the battery ( doesn't matter what you " Think" ) you are not a voltage meter .. you need to test the voltage ,,then test it under load ( easiest to take to an auto parts store and get it load tested )
cant help you with a direction until you do that . if test out good u are going to need a either a voltmeter or a test light . to test things out from there and not guess
justacrossthehill likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 10:47 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Agree, a battery doesn't have to be old to be dead. What is the voltage right now? When was the bike last ridden?

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks guys. Rode the bike Friday afternoon and Saturday. Not far, 6 miles up there, but took it up to the dealer for annul inspection then brought it back home. I did experience this same thing but I fiddled with the key or the kick stand and it started up, so I didn’t think much about it. It did not do it when I brought it back home.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 11:34 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2006kcj View Post
Thanks guys. Rode the bike Friday afternoon and Saturday. Not far, 6 miles up there, but took it up to the dealer for annul inspection then brought it back home. I did experience this same thing but I fiddled with the key or the kick stand and it started up, so I didn’t think much about it. It did not do it when I brought it back home.
From what youíve described, itís unlikely you have a battery issue. When batteries die, they seldom come back from the grave. You mention that you fiddled with the key switch and the side stand and had some success. While there are safety interlock switches on both the clutch lever and side stand, they only prevent the bike from starting when you hit the starter button, they donít cause everything to go dark as you describe. That leaves your ignition/key switch as a likely candidate as the source of your problem. Also, before changing any parts, you might want to check all your fuses and also disconnect and clean your battery cables and terminals.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks Bruce. I was starting to think along those lines that it might very well be the ignition switch. After work I’m hoping to check the fuses and see where that might lead.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 05:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There was an ignition switch recall, can't swear '06 was included, but you could check with the local dealer to see if they will still honour it.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 06:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2006/Y...JR1300#recalls
Rumblestrip likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 10:04 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2006kcj View Post
Thanks Bruce. I was starting to think along those lines that it might very well be the ignition switch. After work Iím hoping to check the fuses and see where that might lead.
I am trying to be gentle here.. DONT GUESS! TEST .. thats what volt meters and test lights are for ..throw parts cannon away!
OR >>> can go on ebay order an ignition switch ..a battery ..a starter.. alternator.. a starter solenoid.. a main fuse and new wires . a kick stand switch ..a clutch switch .... or you can test .
Now I get the feeling you dont know much about auto mechanics ,,just take it to the dealer and save money by not buying parts you dont need .
RaYzerman and nunia720 like this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

So as according to Russ’ Info, there is a ignition switch recall. Looked at all fuses. They are not defective. Tested battery and it tests 12.2 from the battery so not battery. Would have to pull the tank To test the Ignition switch and didn’t get to that. Will go ahead and call the 1-800 # and get it to the dealer for the two items in the recall taken care off. And no I am not much of a gear head. Am starting to learn how to do things in this bike, but apparently I don’t even really know how to use my multi meter. 😡. Don’t I feel like a dumb a##.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page