FJR Owners Forum banner

Turn key on and nothing

5K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  rbentnail 
#1 ·
Help. I went out to ride my 2006 FJR. Turned the key and nothing. No display light up, no display sweep, no nothing. Any thoughts about what might be causing this would be helpful. Don’t think it’s battery as I just got a brand new one in May. But clueless as to what it might be. Could it be ground spider issue, ignition switch gone bad? Any ideas would be appreciated.

#2 ·
ll the first place you have to start is the battery ( doesn't matter what you " Think" ) you are not a voltage meter .. you need to test the voltage ,,then test it under load ( easiest to take to an auto parts store and get it load tested )
cant help you with a direction until you do that . if test out good u are going to need a either a voltmeter or a test light . to test things out from there and not guess

#3 ·
Agree, a battery doesn't have to be old to be dead. What is the voltage right now? When was the bike last ridden?

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Rode the bike Friday afternoon and Saturday. Not far, 6 miles up there, but took it up to the dealer for annul inspection then brought it back home. I did experience this same thing but I fiddled with the key or the kick stand and it started up, so I didn’t think much about it. It did not do it when I brought it back home.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. Rode the bike Friday afternoon and Saturday. Not far, 6 miles up there, but took it up to the dealer for annul inspection then brought it back home. I did experience this same thing but I fiddled with the key or the kick stand and it started up, so I didn't think much about it. It did not do it when I brought it back home.
From what you've described, it's unlikely you have a battery issue. When batteries die, they seldom come back from the grave. You mention that you fiddled with the key switch and the side stand and had some success. While there are safety interlock switches on both the clutch lever and side stand, they only prevent the bike from starting when you hit the starter button, they don't cause everything to go dark as you describe. That leaves your ignition/key switch as a likely candidate as the source of your problem. Also, before changing any parts, you might want to check all your fuses and also disconnect and clean your battery cables and terminals.

#9 ·
Thanks Bruce. I was starting to think along those lines that it might very well be the ignition switch. After work I'm hoping to check the fuses and see where that might lead.
I am trying to be gentle here.. DONT GUESS! TEST .. thats what volt meters and test lights are for ..throw parts cannon away!
OR >>> can go on ebay order an ignition switch ..a battery ..a starter.. alternator.. a starter solenoid.. a main fuse and new wires . a kick stand switch ..a clutch switch .... or you can test .
Now I get the feeling you dont know much about auto mechanics ,,just take it to the dealer and save money by not buying parts you dont need .:sad:

#7 ·
There was an ignition switch recall, can't swear '06 was included, but you could check with the local dealer to see if they will still honour it.

#18 ·
There was an ignition switch recall, can't swear '06 was included, but you could check with the local dealer to see if they will still honour it.[/quote]
I remember two recalls in '06: instrument cluster & wiring harness....not sure if cluster would short but you'd smell wiring if harness did.

#8 ·
Reactions: Rumblestrip
#10 ·
So as according to Russ’ Info, there is a ignition switch recall. Looked at all fuses. They are not defective. Tested battery and it tests 12.2 from the battery so not battery. Would have to pull the tank To test the Ignition switch and didn’t get to that. Will go ahead and call the 1-800 # and get it to the dealer for the two items in the recall taken care off. And no I am not much of a gear head. Am starting to learn how to do things in this bike, but apparently I don’t even really know how to use my multi meter. 😡. Don’t I feel like a dumb a##.

#15 ·
So as according to Russ' Info, there is a ignition switch recall. Looked at all fuses. They are not defective. Tested battery and it tests 12.2 from the battery so not battery. Would have to pull the tank To test the Ignition switch and didn't get to that. Will go ahead and call the 1-800 # and get it to the dealer for the two items in the recall taken care off. And no I am not much of a gear head. Am starting to learn how to do things in this bike, but apparently I don't even really know how to use my multi meter. 😡. Don't I feel like a dumb a##.
OK great a couple of great guys on youtube Pine hollow auto ...south main auto ..and scanner danner ....and schrodingers box ....watch some video they will teach you much about how to work out your problem ... but I will say at this point ..when you press the start button I would like to know what happens the the voltage ? nothing at all??? or a drop ??

#14 ·
Could be your ignition switch. I had the same thing happen. One day to the next, working, then not. Took the switch apart to find a broken solder point. In fact all the solder points looked cold. Soldered the disconnected wire, put it back together, has been working fine the last two years. The switch is easy to take apart and fix. I seem to recall there was a problem with first gen ignition switches.

edit: oops. I see you have a 2nd gen.

Work
Help. I went out to ride my 2006 FJR. Turned the key and nothing. No display light up, no display sweep, no nothing. Any thoughts about what might be causing this would be helpful. Don't think it's battery as I just got a brand new one in May. But clueless as to what it might be. Could it be ground spider issue, ignition switch gone bad? Any ideas would be appreciated.

#16 ·
A friend works at Yamaha Headquarters and told me to install a high-amp SPST toggle between the two 10ga.(?) wires coming out of the harness to the keyswitch. I mounted it on the black vertical plastic in front of the keyswitch. You STILL need the key to start it, although flipping the switch makes the gauges live. So, if some thief tries to slide-hammer out the tumbler in an attempt to steal it, it won't start unless they find the hidden switch....shhhh. I've done it to two '02 FJRs...so far.

#19 ·
So I called Yamaha and they said dealer would take care of recalled switch. I was playing with key by switching on then off and I got bike dash to come on and dials to sweep, but bike wouldn’t turn over. I did check battery again and it read 12.7. After cranking bike for a few minutes, but not turning over, for it dropped to 12.5.

So now I’m really confused. I think switch is defective cause dials go off once key switches over to the on position, but when I get dials to come on by holding key between the on and off position I can’t get bike to turn over and the engine light stays on as well. 😡😡

#20 ·
Ok, lemme see if I get this right:

Playing with ignition switch will sometimes get bike power on. Bike will then attempt to start (crank) but will not actually run (not turn over). Right? And when it fails to start the engine trouble light stays on. Right?

Sounds like you've found the initial problem, the ignition switch. If a dealership is going to honor the recall, don't let them hoodoo you. The new switch is to be re-keyed to match your existing ignition key. Some dealers over the yrs were not doing that and folks ended up with 2 different keys- one for ignition, another for everything else.

After that, it sounds like you're into the cold crank/fast starter syndrome. Battery must be in top notch condition or hooked to a charger/jump starter (DO NOT HOOK TO ANOTHER RUNNING VEHICLE!!!). Try starting with the throttle held wide F'in open.

#22 ·
Russ,
Exactly. I took it over to Gboro dealer just a bit ago. I figured I had gotten into the fast start issue, and didn't really try to resolve it. The stinky part is that it'll take awhile for the dealer to get the ignition switch in. They did have the wiring harness to do the s4 recall which is good.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

#21 ·
In addition to the switch issue, I’d take the battery out & take it to a auto parts store and have it “load” tested, it’ll tell you if there is a problem with the battery that simply checking the voltages will not, like a cracked or shorted plate. Most places like O’Reilly’s will do that for free as a service. Then you’ll know for sure if the battery’s good or not. May be more than one problem here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.