I am in over my head~~~~~Help please!!! - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
At least you can have gas cans in the chase trailers.

How fast will sportster man ride? Is he up to doing 70 for hours on end? If you are planing 2 days you will have to do 400 miles a day. Including stops for fuel that would have to be about 70mph to average 50. That translates to 8 hours at 70mph.
He routinely runs 80 on our spedos until he needs to refuel. Not sure how he does it but he does, so I'm figuring a 60 mile a hour average for distance traveled. That's about 1:30-2 hours w/ his bike if he doesn't stop. The trailer queens have had reservations for months. But the main guy is a type A personality for sure so me and my bro figure we will break off from the pack.....and we are fully prepared to do so. It's on our bucket list and we kinda are hard core, dont mind sleeping on a hammock if need be and get back on the road. Plus we are grown men, if it's too much we will turn our happy butts right around and head home. Probably at a much slower pace!!!
passx likes this.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 07:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
At least you can have gas cans in the chase trailers.

How fast will sportster man ride? Is he up to doing 70 for hours on end? If you are planing 2 days you will have to do 400 miles a day. Including stops for fuel that would have to be about 70mph to average 50. That translates to 8 hours at 70mph.
When riding my 73 Sporty 1000 (Buckhorn bars, Corbin button&Tucked seat, king/queen seat and king tank - no shield) my jacket caught the wind like a sail and summer was too warm to zip it all the way up. It had an electronic tach (aftermarket) and no speedo. My carpooler passed me on the way to work one day so I got a report on actual speed. Speed limit 65mph. My speed, 55mph (and holding on against the sail).

Have him take a serious, 250-350 mile day trip soon so he can figure out if a fly screen or other things are needed before launch date.

Quote:
I have been to Sturgis 4 times ( NEVER during the rally ..never will ) .. rooms will triple in price 200 miles out

Same here (probably more if you could "passing through"). The closest I ever got to rally time was 2 weeks prior and it was already a mess. Jacked up prices, idiots already riding -10 in a 25 mph zone, and more.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 07-30-2020 at 08:01 AM.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Nunia, my advice, fix what needs fixin before you leave including the CCT. Then enjoy your trip ! It’s an adventure and you get to do it with your brother, enjoy that time together ! What year Sporty is he riding ? I hope it’s a 2006 or newer that they balanced, they’re pretty smooth and way more reliable, pre 2006 I don’t know how he could ride it at highway speeds for any amount of time, my arms & hands would be asleep quickly on the older one’s, but some can do it.

Like I said though, just go & have fun, you’re a wrencher so fixing a problem should be doable and if it’s to bad, find a local dealer & trade it in, just have some fun. Take some pictures and post them ! Just be careful of some of the “types” that you’ll run into as they’ll be the only thing to worry about, otherwise just enjoy the ride.
nunia720 likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 10:16 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunia720 View Post
He routinely runs 80 on our spedos until he needs to refuel. Not sure how he does it but he does,!
Well that is good. The only thing worse than someone riding a bike with 100 mile range when you have to make good time is that person riding slow.
nunia720 likes this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 12:39 AM
Farkle Trainee

I’m usually pretty quite on the board but your enthusiasm is really genuine and makes me smile 😊 It is really cool to see your enthusiasm about this bike as that is how we all felt when it hit the US market....way back when.

I’ve owned 4 FJRs beginning with one of the 1st ones in the US. My current 2009 FJR has 72,000 miles. The other 3 were similar in mileage. You can do the math. My wife and I took a 16,000 mile trip on an FJR (two up). Not on a stock seat though 🙂

As an MSF Rider Coach and long distance tourer I am compelled to encourage you to adopt ATGATT. If you read your own posts....you will see that your own observations about the power of the FJR warrant the need for proper protection.

The tires - you will figure that out. The best thing about determining your own opinions about tires is that you have to ride the FJR in order to come to a conclusion !

My observation about your excitement about the FJR brings up a couple familiar feelings I had (have) about the FJR:

- Linear 150bhp power curve is addictive and enticing. It’s not the fastest bike on the road but...it’s pretty @#%}% fast. Fast=risk. The FJR feels nimble in a straight fast line. Don’t let this deception fool you when you start pushing it into technical roads. Sure, it’s sporty but it’s weight and STOCK suspension will falter if things get too intense. At that point it is your experience that will carry you. Which leads me to my second point...

- Ride your own Ride . The FJR inspires confidence because it is an overall amazing bike. I have found myself riding with some VERY accomplished riders (Liquidsilver , Trainwreck, IAN , Petey (RIP) and other hoons). I am not at their skill level and have learned that I simply cannot match their talent.....so its my tactic to hang back and learn from them. Point being.....I ride my own ride and they respect that.

I could ramble on but it is really refreshing to see how much you are enjoying the FJR.

I have family up north in Iron Mountain Mi and ride up there often. Might cross paths with you one day !!!
bounce and nunia720 like this.

If it has two wheels or a mainsail - I will pilot it.
Boof
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Awesome Boofer, I really do appreciate you chiming in. There is a reason I've never owned a motorcycle until a few years ago....I knew I would kill myself!! 20+ years later even w/ the maturity I still started back riding w/ the Ninja 500, on purpose. I feel like I did 3 years ago for the most part honestly. Scared to death but having fun learning. Which for all practical purposes I am learning all over again with the FJR. The 500 didn't prepare me, jumping on an occasional Harley or even a R6 didn't either. So I definitely respect her and will be careful. I am a light guy, 150 lbs, so the weight is what I really need to get use to. I went with Avon storm 3d's for tires. Hopefully that helps as well.

I too like riding in the back on rides with others. I just feel safer, not worried about somebody flying by me and then wrecking, or worse yet running right into me. I'm a big proponent of the ride your own ride theory.

But yeah, I am loving this machine. Honestly I didn't even realize something like this was available in my budget. Granted, I got a great deal, but still. She is amazing!!! ( I really have to name her already!!)

It would be awesome to run into you one day~~thanks for the advice and concern. Ride safe as always!!

New to me 2003 FJR1300
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 07:49 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
I too like riding in the back on rides with others. I just feel safer, not worried about somebody flying by me and then wrecking, or worse yet running right into me. I'm a big proponent of the ride your own ride theory.

If organizing a ride, make sure that there's a "no jockeying for position within the group". You start and finish in the same place and keep lots of distance between each rider. No need to parade around like Gold Wings. As long as everyone waits at a turn for the person behind them. You can keep a quarter mile between riders with ease.

If participating in a ride, look for that (space and don't act the fool) or look for a nice ride to the destination on your own.
nunia720 likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page