I am in over my head~~~~~Help please!!! - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 11:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Lemmon Rider View Post
Wow, a Sportster though? That could feel like a long trip. Be patient with your brother!

With the right rider, it can be 3rd in the 2007 Iron Butt Rally.
nunia720 likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 11:19 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
With the right rider, it can be 3rd in the 2007 Iron Butt Rally.

Stock fuel tank?

I wont ride distance with someone on a bike with a tank that small. Or a bike that slow. Once I hit the open spaces of the western states its 80 to 90 mph and hours between stops.

Many of the freeways out here are posted 75mph and few go that slow.It is far too dangerous to be passed at 15mph for hours on end.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I know Mike, but we are taking our time. 2 day run to get there plus we will have a few trucks and trailers in the group. Not a race, and if anyone falls behind or gets WAY WAY far ahead (ME!!!) we all have communication between ourselves and know the days stopping spot.

New to me 2003 FJR1300

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Currently waiting on all parts to be delivered~(Tires, CCT, Gaskets, oil filter and comfort stuff) I want to do the CCT first so I can properly flush radiator with Vinegar and distilled water without risking it. I don't hear any funny noise from the right side but sometimes hear a ticking that seams to be coming more from the left side to me. Hard to explain, some searches lead me to believe that's just a normal sound others not so much. I just would hate to have something terrible happen at this point because I didn't have the patience. I messed around with the suspension yesterday but have yet to ride it just for above mentioned reasons. One positive thing I noticed was the FO had it set up equally atleast. Front and back were both set towards the harder side but left and right fork adjustments were all even. Right now I went with maybe 2 clicks towards soft from standard because I only weigh 150 lbs. I will tweek it from there.

Plan on insulating the tank with some kind of heat shield stuff, I'll see whats available when I grab all fluids tomorrow. I am considering doing the "Barbarian" mod while I am doing everything else. It has been my experience that every motorcycle I have even worked on from the factory comes lean. It would be nice to be able to adjust that for the potential cooling alone. Any thoughts??

New to me 2003 FJR1300
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 09:23 PM
Farkle Trainee

K .. first of all.... There is no such thing as practicing in SHORTS for gods sake ! ..so you admit to your self that you need price... therefore the highest chance of ever crashing...an your brain tells you SHORTS a good idea?? sounds like you and your brother ..... ....

any way enough jokes..I dont know what direction you are coming from to hit Sturgis but some stretches are far between gas stops ..I suggest you AND your brother each carry a gallon of gas for him... his range is about 90 miles??
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I was waiting for someone to jump in with that!!! I know, I know, but the practice area is not far from my house and it's a abandoned strip mall parking lot. But I do get the point, honestly I do. I would hate to go down period, but without proper riding gear it would be 10'xs worse at any speed would be my guess.

Yeah, about 100 miles per tank he gets.....I see the problems, he doesn't!!! Even the Denali trailering 2 bikes will need to stop once to his 3x's. Thank god there are females coming with their typical I need to pee breaks otherwise my brother and I maybe the ones being left behind. We do plan on carrying some gas between us, just haven't figured out the logistics of it. Fly by the seat type of trip for sure!!! I mean I just got my bike Saturday, doing all required maintenance and tire changes this week. Him on the Sporty.....but what the ****. We get in over our heads we can always come home w/ our tails tucked between our legs.

BTW, leaving from Milwaukee and planning on staying overnight in Minnesota.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 08:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Stock fuel tank?

I wont ride distance with someone on a bike with a tank that small. Or a bike that slow. Once I hit the open spaces of the western states its 80 to 90 mph and hours between stops.

Many of the freeways out here are posted 75mph and few go that slow.It is far too dangerous to be passed at 15mph for hours on end.

And Iron Butt Rallier WITHOUT aux fuel? Oh, the humanity!

As for a 90 mile range... stay on the East Coast. You need more than 150 on some stretches out west. Mass Gold had a route with 250 miles between available gas.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 07-29-2020 at 08:15 AM.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 07:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunia720 View Post
I don't hear any funny noise from the right side but sometimes hear a ticking that seams to be coming more from the left side to me. Hard to explain, some searches lead me to believe that's just a normal sound others not so much.
A loose CCT is not a tick. Do you remember the KerPlunk game, when all the marbles would fall? Double the volume and make it continuous.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 09:47 PM
FJR Top Gun

At least you can have gas cans in the chase trailers.

How fast will sportster man ride? Is he up to doing 70 for hours on end? If you are planing 2 days you will have to do 400 miles a day. Including stops for fuel that would have to be about 70mph to average 50. That translates to 8 hours at 70mph.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 10:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunia720 View Post
I was waiting for someone to jump in with that!!! I know, I know, but the practice area is not far from my house and it's a abandoned strip mall parking lot. But I do get the point, honestly I do. I would hate to go down period, but without proper riding gear it would be 10'xs worse at any speed would be my guess.

Yeah, about 100 miles per tank he gets.....I see the problems, he doesn't!!! Even the Denali trailering 2 bikes will need to stop once to his 3x's. Thank god there are females coming with their typical I need to pee breaks otherwise my brother and I maybe the ones being left behind. We do plan on carrying some gas between us, just haven't figured out the logistics of it. Fly by the seat type of trip for sure!!! I mean I just got my bike Saturday, doing all required maintenance and tire changes this week. Him on the Sporty.....but what the ****. We get in over our heads we can always come home w/ our tails tucked between our legs.

BTW, leaving from Milwaukee and planning on staying overnight in Minnesota.
tell him to think of it this way .... you go 55 miles and then see a sign that says NEXT service stop 48 miles ( many like that in WY on I-90)
Northern OR has a spot with 165 miles between ( I got lucky my first time through) the second time I had a 2 gallon can with me and a ATV rider sold me some gas 2 gal 20 I was happy to pay him!) if I remember right SD has 50 mile breaks between stops.... bring 2 full cans or pay for it when you have to run ahead to a station and bring back gas!
I have been to sturgis 4 times ( NEVER during the rally ..never will ) .. rooms will triple in price 200 miles out .... hope you already have some ??
bounce likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page