I am in over my head~~~~~Help please!!! - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 10:56 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

I am in over my head~~~~~Help please!!!

Nunia,

It can be a painful mistake to take a long trip on a bike that you really do not know yet, which is not set up for your comfort (safety) yet.

The Gen1 FJRs have a heat issue; the engine heat can cook your lower legs. There are some bolt-on remedies, but you probably do not have them yet. Good boots help, and leg-armor pants also. Do not try to "tough it out" on a long trip wearing sneakers. If you need to wrap your lower legs with strap-on cardboard leggings to manage, then I would do so. It's not just a comfort thing, it's a matter of taking reasonable care of your body (feet), and you only get two, with no extras.

All IMHO, of course . . .

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 03:32 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I like my Dunlop Roadsmart III's.

4 of us rode to Sturgis in '01 from Portland, OR. Two of the best things I put on the Honda Valkyrie was a throttle lock and highway pegs. I've put highway pegs on this FJR, and while my feet don't rest on them, just resting my calves on them, getting my legs straight, feels great. I would bolt anything up for highway pegs, even if it's goofy and temporary for a multi state ride.

Wow, a Sportster though? That could feel like a long trip. Be patient with your brother!

We had fun getting there and being there, but it was suggested we get our 3 Honda's out of the Buffalo Chip by sundown. And as we left, passing the mile long line of scary dudes waiting to get in, we were glad for the advice!

Enjoy the trip!
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Thanks everyone, the advice is much appreciated!! I have calmed down (a little anyways)~todays dilemma? To do or not to do the CCT before the trip??? I'm leaning towards getting it done. I am already going to working on the Bike, as in tires need to come off for the new ones, oil change.....oh wait a minute, that's right oil changes on this machine hardly constitutes working on a bike!!! That's awesome. But I will need to get the tires off. Got a list going of everything needed to put together a real tool kit for the road. As well as comfort items as well.

As for my brother....I was just asking him if he has wrapped his head around the hours we are going to be in the seat. He seems to think he can handle it no problem. I foresee him trying to switch bikes with me occasionally. I can hear it now, "Bro lets swap for a hour or two, my blah blah blah is killing me" which I may or may not do, lol. We are taking are time and making it a 2 day run so we should be okay. Seriously though, thanks alot everyone and keep the advice rolling if ya want.

Is there a good Vendor that alot of you all use or try to support? Besides the usual? Like the CCT for example: Partzilla?

New to me 2003 FJR1300

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 05:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Running an old CCT is basically rolling dice. If it goes bad, the valves can hit the pistons. You might make another 75K miles on the old CCT. It might go out the next time you start the bike. There's no way to tell. If it starts sounding like someone dropped marbles into the right side of your engine, TURN IT OFF and take it to a mechanic. You can do the CCT yourself, but it's painfully slow/hard to get off.

Try getting out for a 250+ mile trip this weekend to see what comfort/ergos you actually need. After you explain the problem(s) here, I'm sure you'll get some useful advice.

Swap with your brother a little. He might start thinking about an FJR of his own before Sturgis.
nunia720 likes this.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone

Last edited by Ludwig61; 07-25-2020 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Remove extra blank lines
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 06:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have run all the tires that most folks talk about. By far the highest mileage I have run is one never mentioned. Avon Storm 3D. I push hard in curves toO and they handle great.
gwbeachy likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Nunia,

It can be a painful mistake to take a long trip on a bike that you really do not know yet, which is not set up for your comfort (safety) yet.

The Gen1 FJRs have a heat issue; the engine heat can cook your lower legs. There are some bolt-on remedies, but you probably do not have them yet. Good boots help, and leg-armor pants also. Do not try to "tough it out" on a long trip wearing sneakers. If you need to wrap your lower legs with strap-on cardboard leggings to manage, then I would do so. It's not just a comfort thing, it's a matter of taking reasonable care of your body (feet), and you only get two, with no extras.

All IMHO, of course . . .
You absolutely weren't joking about the heat!!! When I rode it home I had jeans on and a crap load of other things on my mind. Today I went to go take it the lot to practice in shorts, enough said!!

New to me 2003 FJR1300
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
So after the practicing for awhile, after running back home and changing into Jeans of course. My buddy who lives about a hour away was having a get together. So I went there, combo of Highway and 55 MPH two lane roads. It went fine, actually got turned around at one point so I had to make a U-turn. My first thought was to not even attempt it but it was in a safe place as far as traffic and my brother was with me so I gave it a go. It went fine, right when the panic set in mid-turn I heard "Friction Zone" in the back of my head, lol. That worked great! On the tiny Ninja I really don't have to do that. So that's the key I'm thinking anyways. I even made a few right hand turns from a dead stop and was able to actually obey the law and go to the nearest lane. Of course my brother always runs wide....matter of fact he didn't even know that was illegal until recently. Then I point out to him at busy intersections where people making a left hand turn onto the street that you are making a right onto get a arrow to make said their left and he runs wide they could crash. Like a light bulb went of in his head, lol. That's my brother tho, gotta love him.

Anyways, the only things I noticed that bothered me was, the heat of course being thrown directly onto my legs. I'll figure something out for that. Maybe need a taller wind screen or a clip on. And a wrist save that I have on the Ninja but didn't put it on for the trip like a idiot.

Think I am going to park her until I do the CCT, tires, fluids all that jazz. I sure as **** would hate for the CCT or anything else to ruin a wonderfull machine because I couldn't wait for parts to ride. Especial now that I am not terrified of her.

Thank you again for the help, I will keep ya updated.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
One other thing I forgot to mention, I've let 2 people drive her so far. Good friends and all of them have been riding Harleys for 20+ years. Of course I warn them about how fast and tourquey she is. Got the same look and comments from them both, "Bro, I've been riding Harley's and bikes for blah blah blah" Okay man, I say. They both are singing a way different tune when they come back that's for sure!! Not the weight issue like it is for me obviously, but they were like man you really have to be carefull on that. I may have some potential to convert some of these guys!! I swear the only time I'm not riding on Weekends and the weather is nice is when I'm wrenching a buddy's Harley!!

New to me 2003 FJR1300
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 08:17 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

When you're doing U-turns or parking lot turns, apply some rear brake and use the clutch friction zone.... challenge all your buddies to a slowest ride contest... who can go the slowest for 100 yards?
passx likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 09:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

Here are a couple of great videos over at Two Wheel Obsession on what to carry on the bike plus packing tips for a long trip:

Tools and Gear for bike
https://youtu.be/uCSQwwBBGHM

And
Packing & Planning Prior to long trip
https://youtu.be/4NzYmaj8M34

There are many more great videos on that site as well related to FJR adventuring.

Current: 2013 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring - Rosie
Former: 1979 Honda CB750, 1994 Honda Magna, 1995 Honda Magna, 1982 Honda CBX, 1997 Honda Magna, 1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 2013 Yamaha FJR1300 - Gutnis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page