First Time FJR too many miles? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By red

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

First Time FJR too many miles?

Looking for some advice. I am looking at a 2006 FJR with 136k miles on it. The bike has been taken care of very well from what I can see. I wondering if 136k is too many miles? Im not looking for a bike to go no more than 60 miles a ride MAX every now and then.

My second question is.

I currently have a 93 GTS 1000 but don't find it very comfortable. Is the FJR a comfortable ride? Is it like riding a sport-bike or a cruiser? I love my GTS but crouched position is a bitch after a while.

Thanks in advance.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 12:25 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

First Time FJR too many miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by layersnmasks View Post
Looking for some advice. I am looking at a 2006 FJR with 136k miles on it. The bike has been taken care of very well from what I can see. I wondering if 136k is too many miles? Im not looking for a bike to go no more than 60 miles a ride MAX every now and then.
My second question is.
I currently have a 93 GTS 1000 but don't find it very comfortable. Is the FJR a comfortable ride? Is it like riding a sport-bike or a cruiser? I love my GTS but crouched position is a bitch after a while. Thanks in advance.
David
David,

The FJR runs long and hard. If the compression/leakdown test is good, I would not hesitate because of mileage. The price should be a steal, though, because few riders will buy a high-mileage bike.

Check that the CCT has a color dot (green or blue), and have the CCT replaced immediately if it is still the old style CCT (no dot). You do not need to dis-assemble the bike to see the CCT.

I suspect that your plans of 60 mile trips will change, with the FJR. If there is anything in the ergonomics that you find to be a problem, you can change everything needed to make the FJR your best friend. An aftermarket seat, and handlebar risers, are usually the first comfort mods made with the FJR. The FJR that you are looking to buy probably has a few such mods already.
cra-z1 likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 07:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by layersnmasks View Post
[/B] Is it like riding a sport-bike or a cruiser? I love my GTS but crouched position is a bitch after a while.
Stock it's going to be much more like a sport-bike than a cruiser. I came from a long line of cruisers until the FJR, and it was immediately apparent to me that I would need to make some ergonomic changes...I wanted a slight forward lean to help with a lower back that wasn't conducive to cruiser ergos anymore, but it was too much. Not only a lean, but the stock seat slopes a bit, so at the same time I was leaning more forward than I liked I was fighting a seat that kept wanting to slide me down toward the tank...so forward lean + pushing against the bars. Not a great combination, for me.

But once I put 1" block risers on it (and there are some that both bring the bars back and up, for true upright seating) and got a flat/horizontal, dished-out aftermarket seat (Sargent), I was good to go.

Everyone's body type and tolerances are different, so perhaps these issues wouldn't bother you. They did me. But after a $700 ($600 seat + $100 risers) investment, it was a great, comfortable ride...not quite cruiser-like, but certainly more so than when I rode it off the showroom floor.

2016 FJR1300A

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 07:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
An FJR with 136K likely has some ergo farkles already. Are there pics? Seat, windshield, and risers are the most likely things to have been changed/added. Risers would be where the handlebar bolts down...

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page