4Likes
  • 1 Post By rbentnail
  • 2 Post By mortenk
  • 1 Post By rbentnail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Not very bright and tires

Want to know what headlight bulbs to buy that are brighter than what I have now. Just bought my bike "09" in June and I work nights coming home thru deer country. I had a Honda silverwing scooter with brighter lights.

Is anybody riding on the michelin road pilot 4 tires? Those are on my bike I want to know how good they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 10:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Evitek led bulbs is what you want. PR4”s are good tires. I like PR4GT or R5GT even better.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 11:30 AM
FJR Top Gun

Great tires!

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 01:10 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I really liked the Extra-Vision bulbs for night riding. I used them for yrs, best value out there IMHO. I have since switched to the F2 LED bulbs. More of a PITA to install and a giant PITA to adjust but worth it.

I tried a few different Pilot Road series tires. Didn't care for them, not confidence inspiring at all to me. There are better choices for where I am and how I ride. But there are too many variables to trust me. If you like what you got then buy them again. If you don't then the search feature is your friend. There are dozens upon dozens of tire threads already, no need to start yet another.
Rumblestrip likes this.

Russ
2007A

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 06:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
If you "install" a 2016 or later in your garage, your headlight problem will go away (as LED headlights are standard) :-)
Bill Lumberg and N4HHE like this.

2016 ES
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 07:47 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I use the Philips Ultinon. They are $200 a set and are worth every penny.

Also installed a set of 25 watt led pods on the engine guards that are pretty bright and I use them to widen the beam to the sides to see deer
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 01:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

Lights ... I have PIAA Night Tech bulbs on my other bike (my FJR has LEDs), and love them. Many FJR owners are putting in LED "bulbs", and seem to be very pleased with the illumination they provide. Search other threads on this forum for more detailed info.

Tires ... I'm only on my second set of tires, so the first set I got to choose. I have PR4 GT's, and really like them.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 07:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The F2 H4/9003 LED's can be had for similar $ as the brighter halogens (that may not last as long). Search ebay for them (the yellow box with F2 on it).... $40-45-ish. Should be brighter than the factory LED's, may not need auxiliary lighting.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 09:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I also have the Piaa Night Tec bulbs in my 14a which have been in for a little over 5yrs now. I installed them for the same reason as some as I was still working and the early/late rides to & from work in the dark was over 43mi of critter infested 2 lane country roads. The oe factory h4’s weren’t terribly bad but had a lot of shadows in their beam pattern. The Night Tex’s don’t have any shadows and are a bit brighter with a great side illumination, great bulbs imho.

With that said the next time I have to replace bulbs in the fjr I will install the highly recommended F2 Leds,they should last longer and hopefully have a similarly great light pattern as my current Piaa’s do. The fjr has the room to use the F2’s where most if my older bikes cannot fit a LED bulb with the cooling fans and heat sinks that go with them. On those bikes I’ll use the Piaa’s.

One thing to keep in mind if you install the LED’s is that you will have a whirring/whine in the front of your bike, it is the coolingfans on the LED’s , drove me crazy trying to figure out what “that” noise was when I put an led in my 81 cbx which is fully enclosed in the fairing, just the cooling fan.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 07-26-2020 at 09:47 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 06:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
One thing to keep in mind if you install the LED’s is that you will have a whirring/whine in the front of your bike, it is the coolingfans on the LED’s , drove me crazy trying to figure out what “that” noise was when I put an led in my 81 cbx which is fully enclosed in the fairing, just the cooling fan.
^^ This. Minor panic attack the first time I turned the bike off after installation .
bounce likes this.

Russ
2007A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page