My opinion on a taller windscreen - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

My opinion on a taller windscreen

I have a new 2020. I was wondering what the original part number of the windscreen my bike came with is? And need the part number of the next size larger screen.??? I don't want to make a mistake and order the same screen...

I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam and I like having the screen all the way down for around the town riding to get more air especially during the 90 degrees we are getting here in Mass.
However I think when in the tallest position on the highway it would have been perfect if it were 2" taller but not too much taller so as to not ruin the big air I get in the low position in around town riding.
I am leaning towards the Yamaha brand because of the thick and widest design. However I do like the National Cycle Vstream brand I had with some other bikes before.
I would like to make a change and get some feedback please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 04:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

If the bike is new, then it came with either the stock OEM or, less likely, the Touring OEM. There are only two OEM screen options. If the shield has "FJR" etched on the right side edge (as you're standing in front of bike and looking at it head on), then that is the taller and wider Touring shield. If doesn't have the "FJR" etching, then it's just the standard stock OEM. I don't know the parts # for either, but if you're after the Touring shield, just let the dealer know it's the larger Touring you're after -- there's only two options, so the chance for confusion should be minimal -- and if you're ordering it yourself from some venue make sure the image shown has "FJR" etched on the side.

EDIT: You can see the etching here on this Touring order page...the part # appears to be 1MC-F83J0-V0-00.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d...ing-windshield

2016 FJR1300A

Last edited by RC65; 07-20-2020 at 04:22 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I have the standard then. No FJR etching on the outside edge.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 08:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

Here’s a thought...you could try a laminar lip. About half the cost of the Yamaha Touring screen, and it does an excellent job of reducing turbulence. Depending on how high on the stock screen you install it, it will provide an extra 1-2 inches of height at the full up position, while having a minimal effect on airflow at the full down position.

2015 Yamaha FJR 1300ES
2015 Yamaha R1
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 08:59 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammieboy View Post
Here’s a thought...you could try a laminar lip. About half the cost of the Yamaha Touring screen, and it does an excellent job of reducing turbulence. Depending on how high on the stock screen you install it, it will provide an extra 1-2 inches of height at the full up position, while having a minimal effect on airflow at the full down position.
Yes they are awesome!! I installed one on my Bandit and it helped a huge amount for 80mph south Dakota runs
I would get one for the FJR .. but the previous owner already put a taller screen on and I like it as is ..will be travelling 400 miles south in a few days and I am sure it will be the ultimate test of I need to change it for next years cross country trip
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 10:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kuszek View Post
I have a new 2020. I was wondering what the original part number of the windscreen my bike came with is? And need the part number of the next size larger screen.??? I don't want to make a mistake and order the same screen...

I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam and I like having the screen all the way down for around the town riding to get more air especially during the 90 degrees we are getting here in Mass.
However I think when in the tallest position on the highway it would have been perfect if it were 2" taller but not too much taller so as to not ruin the big air I get in the low position in around town riding.
I am leaning towards the Yamaha brand because of the thick and widest design. However I do like the National Cycle Vstream brand I had with some other bikes before.
I would like to make a change and get some feedback please.
I have the smoke VStream sport you’re talking about. All the way down it flows good air, and all the way up it’s JUST tall enough for me to ride with my helmet open and very minimal buffeting. But i think its the same height as the stock one you have... just a little wider. When i bought the bike out came with the factory touring screen on it. It’s a bit better when all the way up, but doesn’t allow quite enough air all the way down for my liking. I’m 6’0

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 10:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

Mine is a 2015 and the factory short shield is what came with it. I am 5'9" with a 32 inseam and with the shield all the way up all I had was wind noise like I had no shield. I bought the Yamaha touring shield and all the way up it is silent so I was happy. I am not an iron butt rider but if I was then even a bigger shield may be desired. The guy I ride with may do a 400 mile day ride and it is almost all back road and little to no hiway so I have no idea if something else would be nicer on the hiway. For me that little shield sucks.

Congrats on the new ride !!!

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I have decided to get the OEM factory touring screen. Amazon has it shipped free for 135.00. Looks like the best deal.
Thanks guys for all the good input.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 09:07 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Greetings! I switched out my OEM windshield on my 2014 with a Puig Touring Windshield. I’m about 5’8” and will still feeling wind buffeting with the shield in the fully up position (the Puig is wider than stock, and looks great!) I’ve decided to add a MCA X-Creen Touring Spoiler and Wow, what a difference! I can have wind noise and buffering almost eliminated. I can cruise all day at 80+ and feel very relaxed. Most rain is diverted also, as a huge bonus. This bike is the most shockingly competent bike I have ever owed, and that’s 40 years of riding!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page