Valve clearance check intervals and the EPA. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
KAK
Training wheels fitted!

Valve clearance check intervals and the EPA.

Hi. I'm thinking about buying a new FJR. One thing I like about the bike is the 26,500 mile valve clearance check interval. I was told by a fellow rider that in other parts of the world the FJR's valve check interval is approximately 43,000 miles because the EPA isn't involved. Is it true you can wait until 43,000 miles, especially if the bike isn't ridden hard? Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 07:36 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAK View Post
Hi. I'm thinking about buying a new FJR. One thing I like about the bike is the 26,500 mile valve clearance check interval. I was told by a fellow rider that in other parts of the world the FJR's valve check interval is approximately 43,000 miles because the EPA isn't involved. Is it true you can wait until 43,000 miles, especially if the bike isn't ridden hard? Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.
Knowing these folks, they will say do it at 26 whether you need it or not..lol

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 07:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I don't know if the EPA has anything to do with it. Let's just say after all the ones I've worked on, valve clearance checks can be delayed to 40k if you want to. Just nice to get that first one done and know where you're at, adjust any as required, or even adjust intentionally to 70% of max clearance and get them all evened out.
After that, may never need another one, they don't change much. If you carbon up the bike, they will grow larger (intakes), so don't ride like grandma, an FJR is meant to be ridden. Riding hard within reason won't hurt it whatsoever.
bounce likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 11:52 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If you bounce off the rev limiter then 26,000 miles might not be soon enough. But for sane riders the valves may not have changed in 40,000. Best to at least look.
Gitbox likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Last edited by N4HHE; 07-19-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: speling
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 06:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAK View Post

I didn't design the engine. Those who did, say 26k miles between checks and that's a VERY large interval for most bikes. With that in mind, skipping recommended PMs would seem to indicate someone who shouldn't have bought a bike if they weren't committed to ALL the costs of ownership (insurance, helmet, etc.) PM items included.
rbentnail likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 07:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yes, there are bikes with 16k, 20k and 22k intervals.... what one doesn't want is a valve going below minimum clearances... that is the tendency under normal circumstances. Minimum clearance is meant to ensure valve will fully close, and while I believe there is a small little safety factor in there, you don't want "too small". First check tells you where you are. For an FJR, 26k is safe, so no need to panic over going beyond that.
Under minimum means risk of burning an exhaust valve. Intake run cooler due to inrush of air, but will run poorer due to not sealing/lower compression.

The clearances grow only if carboned up, no real danger to valve except carbon is hard to remove. Intakes affected, exhausts run hot so much less carbon on the valve seats. Valve again doesn't seal, low compression, running issues, or won't start eventually (especially when hot when all metal parts are expanded to max).

What I have seen....... Yammy puts them in spec at the factory based on an assembly line... most not perfect, some near minimum, some larger. My guess at 30-40k is everything is seated and a couple can be now at minimum. Never found an underspec yet, but have found some at minimum. Simple, first check is the one you'll find the most wear, can be around 0.001". No big unusual wear occurs.

Record all readings at every check, subsequent check tells trends if the same guy measured and recorded. To not worry about second check, shim all to the larger side.
OK, rare event..... checked an 2012 FJR with 94k, never had a check in its life. All were at nominal... nearly crapped myself.

If you go to a dealer or bike shop, have them record and give you the actual readings, and if they adjust, as a bonus, what was original shim size, what was the new shim size. Just asking IMHO makes them be a little more precise than "all were within spec". Shows them you care about your bike, and they may just care a little more.
N4HHE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 12:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

GL1800 is 32,000 miles.

Toyota and Ford seem to have eliminated valve check intervals on solid lifters. My 2018 2.7EB has solid lifters and no maintenance interval.

The only valves I have seen for which the gap gets bigger used rockers. Something in the actuating hardware wears a little and leverage makes the gap bigger. My 1978 Dodge (Mitsubishi) 2.6L, 1978 Honda CX500, 2003 KTM 450 EXC RFS, a Honda Accord.

The KTM is in need of a valve job. Intakes are getting tight every 10 hours. Every oil change.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 06:37 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

History has shown that the vast majority of FJRs do not need a valve adjustment at 30,000 miles but there are some that do. What if your bike is in fact one of those? Do you really want to go another 10,000 miles with out of spec valve(s)?

If you're not going to do at least the initial maintenance and set it up for extended intervals, then please don't buy it. That's domestic abuse and neglect.
bounce and N4HHE like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 07:57 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I didn't design the engine. Those who did, say 26k miles between checks and that's a VERY large interval for most bikes. With that in mind, skipping recommended PMs would seem to indicate someone who shouldn't have bought a bike if they weren't committed to ALL the costs of ownership (insurance, helmet, etc.) PM items included.
I have had valves checked by the dealers service department on the bikes I’ve owned the past 15 years. Not a single one of them has been out of spec. In the old days I did them myself when the shims were on top and they were easy to get to.

The designers are driven by a lot of factors. Do you also think we should have to pay $300 literally weeks after we buy a bike for the 600 mile service? I’d bet anything that still exists to profit the dealer. No car requires it, except perhaps some exotics.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 11:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I checked mine at 23,000 and I had one that was tight but still within specification. I adjusted that one to the middle range and all the others were in the middle range. I will not be checking again until I'm in the 50,000 mile range.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page