Valve clearance check intervals and the EPA. - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 07:38 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

They take a long time to change. Again, what I recommend is whoever does it should record the clearances and give that info to you. You can stretch the intervals. If you have a couple at minimum then the next check should not be extended too far, or if you shim things out, then you can extend it even more.
That initial check is the info you want, and you can decide from there.
ravid824, I've done more FJR valve checks than I can count, sorry I can't agree with never doing one at all, but it would be interesting to see where yours are.
RERJr, while you have it all apart for the check, changing shims is not that hard when you're in that deep. Just a few simple things to follow (think zip ties) and you're unlikely to have any issue. Worst you could do is have valve timing off, but that's easily seen while the covers are off.
For those that have to go to the dealer, it's not exactly the cheapest job. Get a quote, they vary.
bounce likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 08:56 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
This is a timely thread for me. I hit 26k miles a couple months ago and plan to do the valve check this winter. I'll probably be in the low 30k range by then but wasn't too worried about the extended interval. Bought the 10 year old bike last April with 18k on it and I've put 10k on it since then Local dealer quoted $560 for the valve check and $275 for adjustment just for labor. For almost $900 I think I can figure it out myself.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

2009 FJR1300A
2006 YZF600R (Sold)
2018 Subaru WRX
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 11:35 AM
FJR Top Gun

The head tech at my local Yamaha shop (30 years experience) says for him it's symptoms rather than mileage. Hard starting and decrease in normal gas mileage means valves are closing up, noise in the top end means valves are opening up. He says all the major manufacturers except Harley have gone to this valve actuation system because they are so trouble free and rarely go out of adjustment. But that rarely doesn't mean never.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 03:21 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I check mine during winter, during non riding season, and will do it before I hit the 26k interval cause I don't want to check them during riding season.

Sometimes I find them tight an sometimes they are all good. I have 120,000 miles on FJRs and two adjustments. Reminds me of Dirty Harry movie, "Do ya feel lucky punk, well do ya?"
bounce and rbentnail like this.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 02:19 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
The head tech at my local Yamaha shop (30 years experience) says for him it's symptoms rather than mileage. Hard starting and decrease in normal gas mileage means valves are closing up, noise in the top end means valves are opening up.
Uh, hard starting and poor MPG do not occur until after the valves wear to the point they are failing to close. Due to the valves letting precious flaming hot combustion gasses out before it is timely.

Once the valves get to the point of hard cold starting the damage is being done.

Consider this: how bad will the FJR run if only one valve is acting up? Not very bad.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 07:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yeah, be careful of what techs say... while he's not wrong, the FJR isn't going to be one to exhibit symptoms until it's more serious, of tight or loose clearances. Nor are the valves going to get "noisy" if clearances change bigger, unless outrageously big, which ain't gonna happen. Carbon build-up will cause intake clearances to grow, not much else will cause that.
You do recall my project bike's threads? Factory trained award-winning Yamaha tech....
rbentnail and Bill Lumberg like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page