FJR Owners Forum banner

Gas gauge sooooo inaccurate

11K views 92 replies 20 participants last post by  Donk 
#1 ·
2010 lets see after less then 20 miles thew ft bar disappears .. three bars gone today ..107 miles Put in 1.4 gallons!!!
then rode another 205 miles , was down to 1 bar and was flashing , filled up with ........4.7 gallons! Leaving 1.9 gallons in the tank! Assuming the 6.6 claim s correct.
Havent had a vehicle this inaccurate since my 1978 Toyota Celica.... I fixed it by taking off the face plate and bending the needle a 1/4 up :surprise:

#2 ·
My 06 was like that and I adjusted the fuel sender in the tank and now the guage indicates correctly and drops in a linear way. When the reserve starts indicating fuel needed I put in 5 gallons. Just about right because the manual says there is a 1.6 gal reserve.

There is a great post that shows you how to do it. I found it on fjr13.org listed under "adjusted fuel sender" Or you can Google
"adjusted fuel sender fjr13.org" I did exactly the procedure laid out and the results were great.
I used a new seal/o-ring on the fuel sender when I did it. Also covered the painted surface with blue painters masking tape as you have to work from the bottom and you have to massage the sender/fuel pump assy. out and then back in.

#3 ·
2010 lets see after less then 20 miles thew ft bar disappears .. three bars gone today ..107 miles Put in 1.4 gallons!!!
then rode another 205 miles , was down to 1 bar and was flashing , filled up with ........4.7 gallons! Leaving 1.9 gallons in the tank! Assuming the 6.6 claim s correct.
Havent had a vehicle this inaccurate since my 1978 Toyota Celica.... I fixed it by taking off the face plate and bending the needle a 1/4 up /forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png
Way, I suggest you reset the trip counter every time you fill up, over time you will learn what kind of mileage to expect on one tank.

#4 · (Edited)
I've got a spreadsheet... Doesn't really matter where it starts the flashing last bar as long as you know where it is. Mine has about 2.0 gal left when the last bar starts flashing and the F tripmeter starts, so 80 miles. What's the problem with that? I wouldn't tear into all that hardware to change that number to 60 miles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Well I just feel that when it starts flashing maybe a gallon left would be a better metric .. my Band 1200 ..when I hit reserve meant I h think .8 of a gallon..about 30 miles
BTW yes I have been resetting the trip meter every tank as I have only put about 1000 miles on it ..and thus the discovery of the lying gauge .
As does the speedometer ..off by 4 MPH at 40 ..my Bandit was the same until I added a tooth to the front and 2 off in the rear ..again cant do that here :)

#6 ·
Yeah. Guess I just got back from a trip through some of the desert SW and 30 miles isn't enough warning. And I'm old school enough to have developed the dependence only on "reserve" and my tripmeter. Know I can easily get 240 miles from a tank and almost always 260.

And yeah, the 5 mph speedo error is more bothersome to me but now just ride 15 over which is really 10 over. [emoji6]

#7 ·
Way8lilfter, what you're describing is inconsistency... all over the map, you could adjust the sender unit arm, but to what?? Maybe start by gathering some better numbers based on how it's supposed to work.

What slowdave says, you should per Yamaha have 5 litres or 1.3 gallons left when the F-count starts, and that should take you about 60 miles until you run out. It may vary somewhat from FJR to FJR, but yours should be consistent. You could fill the tank immediately and not get the full specified 25 litres/6.6 US gallons in total, seems we never can, no worries.

What I do over time is see how many miles I get per bar, starting with a full tank... on my FJR (the far superior and fastest 2014 Root Beer and faster than those red ones), that would be approx. 40 kms. per bar. So when the last bar starts flashing, I have roughly 40 km before the F-count starts, or 140 kms. before she's bone dry. If you want to test that, take a litre or two of spare fuel with you.
I heard the silver ones are pretty quick too.

#10 ·
After 2 years and 31,000 miles I'm not sure exactly how far I can go on a tank but I know I can go 275 miles. By calculator (miles driven by gals used) I know I average 51 mpg, so in theory with a 6.6 gal tank I should be able to go 336.6 miles. I usually fill up around the 220 mark though, but like I said have gone 275 before. I reset Trip-2 every time I get gas, and Trip-1 every morning before I take off because I also log daily mileage. Easy to tell where I'm at with a tank by glancing down at Trip-2.

#11 ·
Just FYI, over my 3 FJRs, they were all consistent on total tank capacity at 6.5 gal (several fill ups after bike is stumbling--queue the "you're gonna burn up your fuel pump" thread). But they varied a LOT on how much fuel is left when the last bar starts flashing: 1.0, 1.6, and 2.0 gal. Each bike was consistent with itself but that value is not consistent bike to bike.

#12 ·
I get right out 40 miles per bar and when I get down to the blinking bar I fill up right at 5ish gallons, depending on the mileage between blinking and fill up. This does vary if my gal is riding with me or not. As well as if I'm loaded down for a long trip with the trunk attached. Gen 1, silver of course, so it does vary depending on how frisky im feeling on any given day...

Most of the road construction here in Illinois will have those speed indicators as you enter the construction zone, I check my speedometer verses what it says each time and its been dead on. I did this last week as I thought my speedo was off because my buddy that just picked up an FJR wasn't keeping up in the corners. Figured out the his tire pressure was WAY off, he's doing better now that we got that lined out..

#16 ·
I just did a ride yesterday and it was my first time I pushed the bike to the flashing fuel indicator. It worked out perfectly -- as I pulled into get gas the fuel started to flash right at that moment.

I put in 5.2 US gallons --- but it was on the side stand. That aside - spec is 6.6 US gallons full minus 5.2 makes my reserve amount at 1.4 US gallons. Manual says spec is 1.45 so I am right on the money.

I second the 60 mile reserve range as I tend to get an average of 40 mpg. But reality is I will work with 40 miles to be safe.

As far as the Full tank indication leaving very quickly to 7/8th tank -- yes I do find that happens but I think its because on the side stand you can fill it to the max -- I did it once on the center stand to compare and it stayed on the full marker longer -- I didnt pay attention to the exact mileage but it was longer. But agree as well with someone above its the end of the tank that matters so do the test yourself in an area where gas stations are a plenty -- ride till it flashes and then pull over and see how much you put in.

#18 · (Edited)
Today's fill up..213 miles took 4.2 gals... not quite 51 but close lol 50.7 mpg

and some pics from today's ride. This is a nice decreasing radius turn. A couple weeks ago two 600 sport bikes couldn't make it and ended up under the guard rail on the opposite side of the road.

this guy was running 34 in a 55

Nice S curve... 34 in a 55 and he still couldn't (or wouldn't) keep it on his/our side of the road. Imagine if you were busting it, taking that S curve coming from the opposite direction.

#19 ·
My 2015 is 40 to 45 depending on how I ride. I have never seen the low lite on mine because at 200 miles I start looking for gas.

Mr Ferret those roads look like the ones BTL68 and I ride so when on them kind of roads I make sure I find fuel. I will take them kind of roads over hiway any day.

#22 ·
I would bet that my FJR would see 50 MPG if it was all hiway and cruise on. For me the fun factor over rides gas milage. Brian and I were in some curvy roads that I never went out of 2nd gear and was speed up and slow down almost at the same time so it was krappy gas milage and a little oil out of the air box hose. Saw a little oil on the ground after parking for the nite and it had come out of one of the drain hoses under the bike but that has been the only time. I have cornerphobia but the FJR did not have me scared.

#23 ·
You could absolutely get 50+. The conservative Goldwing rider I mentioned above is my oldest friend, and when riding with him I get 50+ reliably. I took a recent 3000-mile trip alone though, and I averaged in the low 40s. In South Dakota I was getting high 30s, and that was on the highway with cruise set ....... on 92. :)

#25 ·
The radius of the turn starts out pretty big but then decreases ( gets tighter) it's also down hill and blind due to a hill on the right. If you are not familiar with it, it will catch you out. I'll bet you are right about the second rider target fixating on the rider in front of him and following him right to the guardrail.

#27 ·
FYI: recent trip from central TX to western CO and back I got 49.6+ mpg on 6 of 12 tanks. Those tanks were consistently the NM/CO tanks that were a) at higher altitude and b) on curvier more fun roads. I tend to smooth through the curves in a relatively high gear but clicking along pretty quickly. Lower avg speed though. Burning I-10 across west TX at 85-90 actual mph drops me into the 40 mpg area. Can't decide how big the altitude impact is though.

Reactions: the Ferret
#28 ·
FYI: recent trip from central TX to western CO and back I got 49.6+ mpg on 6 of 12 tanks. Those tanks were consistently the NM/CO tanks that were a) at higher altitude and b) on curvier more fun roads. I tend to smooth through the curves in a relatively high gear but clicking along pretty quickly. Lower avg speed though. Burning I-10 across west TX at 85-90 actual mph drops me into the 40 mpg area. Can't decide how big the altitude impact is though.

I can't either. I can also get good mileage on crooked roads in Arkansas, but I tend to ride a bit faster here. In Colorado I'm in tourist mode and usually riding with others who are in no hurry. Do I get better mileage because of the altitude, the more relaxed pace, or both? Dunno.

#29 ·
I am going on a 400 mile ride tomorrow...a straight shot down I-5 ..will probably average 75 ..I am going to stop in Vancouver WA and then 150 miles later
I am not going to hold my breath for much over 40 mpg ... but that is still awesome to ride a comfortable missile that get better MPG then a Honda Civic

#37 ·
Considering the weight of cars/trucks in general, one would think a motorcycle would be doing a hellova lot better than an extremely crappy 40 or 50 MPG LoL :smile2:. It's 4.5 times lighter than a Civic. In a different reality, if the Civic (2900lbs/42MPG highway) weighed as much as the FJR (640lbs/40MPG mixed) the Civic would be getting 180 MPG LoL. On the flipside, if the FJR weighed as much as the Civic, it'd be getting 9 MPG LoL. Unfortunately mileage to weight doesn't work that way though. Heard any good oil industry conspiracy theories lately? >:)

#32 ·
Don't be a lugger.... downshift, keep the revs up to power band or just below it, engine braking works great, less work for you, can concentrate on your winding or twisty road. Bike likes it too.
As for mileage and lugging, with the 5 speed often found myself in 4th at cruising speeds, got better mileage then because the engine is not working as hard as it does in 5th at the same speed...... to a point, one does have to upshift at some point.

#34 ·
Bet you $100 the bike gets better mileage in 5th then 4th at any constant speed above 40 mph. Run it wherever you like but the friction and pumping work both go up with higher engine speed at the same power level and you're not gonna get that back from any perceived "engine doesn't work as hard."

#36 ·
OK, I thought much higher miles, etc.... glad to see you're not riding like grandma... You don't have an oil problem. The airbox drain is somewhere in the left part of forward swingarm... you may have seen a drip near the sight glass/oil filter... drain hose there for coolant overflow, oil (spill) may have soaked the foam bit inside the fairing. No worries, ride on!!
About 1 gallon of oil.. if in colder weather you get an oil level flashing, means you don't quite have enough.... spec w/filter change is 4.23 gal/4 litres, I usually put in 4.2 litres... keeps it at max level, not min.... just an FYI.

#38 ·
Have to throw power/weight in there. If you get a Honda 250 single (fuel injected) which accelerates about like a Civic, you can get up into the 75 mpg range. If they made motorcycles focused on fuel efficiency, it would be pretty easy to break 100 mpg. And they'd sell like used toilet paper. Lol.

Reactions: passx
#48 ·
Have to throw power/weight in there. If you get a Honda 250 single (fuel injected) which accelerates about like a Civic, you can get up into the 75 mpg range. If they made motorcycles focused on fuel efficiency, it would be pretty easy to break 100 mpg. And they'd sell like used toilet paper. Lol.
Hehehe. Keep in mind, motorcycles unfortunately lag several years behind cars/trucks. The cages are able to get the best of both worlds. Small engine with big torque + HP via use of hybrid and small turbo. That's how the Civic 1.5L is able to get over 200HP... yet still get low-mid thirties MPG. The same tech applied to the FJR, wouldn't need anywhere near 1.3L... which means you'd do a lot better than 40-50 MPG; while keeping the same or better performance levels...

#39 ·
The NC 750x from Honda gets over 70 mpg. We have 2 in the family. They are pretty benign power wise. I get 60 on my CB 1100. It's also pretty benign considering it's displacement. Honda used to advertise over 115 mpg on the Honda Cub and the original Honda Dream E was reported to get over 200 mpg.

But the bigger the motor, the more hp, the higher the rev ceiling, the more weight, the more enthusiastic the rider, the worse mileage that can be expected generally. FJR fits in a lot of those categories.

Personally I think getting 50 mpg out of a 1300cc 145 hp, two up touring equipped 650 pound motorcycle that will turn 10 second quarter miles and run close to150 mph pretty astonishing.

#40 ·
Agreed. Compare to equivalent performance zone cars that are generally getting 9-12 mpg. For example, the Ferrari Superfast which C&D got 11 mpg out of and does a 2.8 sec 0-60 and 10.5 sec quarter mile and costs $330k). So about 4x the fuel mileage and 1/20th the cost. Not too shabby. Of course in the Ferrari, you don't get wet when it rains so there's that. [emoji1]

#41 ·
Truthfully the difference between 40 and 50 mpg matters little to the pocketbook. That'd be 5 gallons over 1000 miles.

Personally, I'd be a lot more excited if I could improve my RVs mileage by 1 mpg than I would be the FJR. But somehow this speedometer error thread turned into a MPG thread, and I just had to relate my experiences. :laugh:

#42 ·
I am still having trouble with the 50 mpg ( have you checked the accuracy of your Odometer??
I the insta millage calculator trying various gears and various peed I could get it to read 50 f I did 5 in 4th gear ..5 th lugged it which made the mileage drop
( Poor vacuum ) I used to hear mileage like that that on the PC 800 forum..and a few on the Bandit forum ..but alas I guess you right hand is just too heavy for such performance :)

#43 ·
Well, actually, yes. I always check a trip meter by the mile markers on new vehicles to see. Yes, I've made sure the trip meters track the odometer exactly. And no I didn't check the accuracy of the mile markers >:) I have checked it in different places over different distances and am satisfied that my odometer is very close.

I can get current mpg up to 99.9 coasting down some of those long downhills in the Rockies or the Smokies. That's the limit on the read out; there's no telling how high it would really be. That's probably because the stock ECU turns fuel delivery almost completely off when coasting in gear. I need to check it now that I've got Ivan's flash.

I don't rely on the onboard computer. I actually log my odometer and fuel purchases and check mileage tank by tank. I have checked the onboard computer over several tanks, and even though it doesn't always agree with my calculations it averages out to be very close over several tanks. I suppose that's because I don't always fill exactly the same.

While lower RPM with a very light throttle may improve mileage, lugging it will not.

It's funny, but it seems like if I try to get good mileage in anything it gets worse. I do better just relaxing and enjoying the ride/drive. Slower speeds definitely help. A relaxed pace on crooked roads definitely helps. But trying to use lower throttle settings, lower RPM, etc. only hurts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.