Gas gauge sooooo inaccurate - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Gas gauge sooooo inaccurate

2010 lets see after less then 20 miles thew ft bar disappears .. three bars gone today ..107 miles Put in 1.4 gallons!!!
then rode another 205 miles , was down to 1 bar and was flashing , filled up with ........4.7 gallons! Leaving 1.9 gallons in the tank! Assuming the 6.6 claim s correct.
Havent had a vehicle this inaccurate since my 1978 Toyota Celica.... I fixed it by taking off the face plate and bending the needle a 1/4 up
RERJr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 10:51 PM
Training wheels fitted!

My 06 was like that and I adjusted the fuel sender in the tank and now the guage indicates correctly and drops in a linear way. When the reserve starts indicating fuel needed I put in 5 gallons. Just about right because the manual says there is a 1.6 gal reserve.

There is a great post that shows you how to do it. I found it on fjr13.org listed under "adjusted fuel sender" Or you can Google
"adjusted fuel sender fjr13.org" I did exactly the procedure laid out and the results were great.
I used a new seal/o-ring on the fuel sender when I did it. Also covered the painted surface with blue painters masking tape as you have to work from the bottom and you have to massage the sender/fuel pump assy. out and then back in.
N4HHE likes this.
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 10:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
2010 lets see after less then 20 miles thew ft bar disappears .. three bars gone today ..107 miles Put in 1.4 gallons!!!
then rode another 205 miles , was down to 1 bar and was flashing , filled up with ........4.7 gallons! Leaving 1.9 gallons in the tank! Assuming the 6.6 claim s correct.
Havent had a vehicle this inaccurate since my 1978 Toyota Celica.... I fixed it by taking off the face plate and bending the needle a 1/4 up [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/IMG]
Way, I suggest you reset the trip counter every time you fill up, over time you will learn what kind of mileage to expect on one tank.
Mr_Ed, Little Joe, N4HHE and 4 others like this.

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 11:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

I've got a spreadsheet... Doesn't really matter where it starts the flashing last bar as long as you know where it is. Mine has about 2.0 gal left when the last bar starts flashing and the F tripmeter starts, so 80 miles. What's the problem with that? I wouldn't tear into all that hardware to change that number to 60 miles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GuitarDave and gmeltzer like this.

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.

Last edited by slowdave; 07-17-2020 at 11:16 PM.
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Well I just feel that when it starts flashing maybe a gallon left would be a better metric .. my Band 1200 ..when I hit reserve meant I h think .8 of a gallon..about 30 miles
BTW yes I have been resetting the trip meter every tank as I have only put about 1000 miles on it ..and thus the discovery of the lying gauge .
As does the speedometer ..off by 4 MPH at 40 ..my Bandit was the same until I added a tooth to the front and 2 off in the rear ..again cant do that here
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 11:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Yeah. Guess I just got back from a trip through some of the desert SW and 30 miles isn't enough warning. And I'm old school enough to have developed the dependence only on "reserve" and my tripmeter. Know I can easily get 240 miles from a tank and almost always 260.

And yeah, the 5 mph speedo error is more bothersome to me but now just ride 15 over which is really 10 over.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 07:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Way8lilfter, what you're describing is inconsistency... all over the map, you could adjust the sender unit arm, but to what?? Maybe start by gathering some better numbers based on how it's supposed to work.

What slowdave says, you should per Yamaha have 5 litres or 1.3 gallons left when the F-count starts, and that should take you about 60 miles until you run out. It may vary somewhat from FJR to FJR, but yours should be consistent. You could fill the tank immediately and not get the full specified 25 litres/6.6 US gallons in total, seems we never can, no worries.

What I do over time is see how many miles I get per bar, starting with a full tank... on my FJR (the far superior and fastest 2014 Root Beer and faster than those red ones), that would be approx. 40 kms. per bar. So when the last bar starts flashing, I have roughly 40 km before the F-count starts, or 140 kms. before she's bone dry. If you want to test that, take a litre or two of spare fuel with you.
I heard the silver ones are pretty quick too.
Little Joe, passx, ReRose and 1 others like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 10:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I heard the silver ones are pretty quick too.
You heard right, especially the "matte silver ones" with a loose NUT between the seat and the handlebars 😄
passx, ReRose, Sete Bond and 1 others like this.

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

yeah I wanted red but the deal was too good to pass up ( 3800 dollars ) .. but silver is fast too or at least the guy riding the silver one .......
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 11:17 AM
FJR Top Gun

After 2 years and 31,000 miles I'm not sure exactly how far I can go on a tank but I know I can go 275 miles. By calculator (miles driven by gals used) I know I average 51 mpg, so in theory with a 6.6 gal tank I should be able to go 336.6 miles. I usually fill up around the 220 mark though, but like I said have gone 275 before. I reset Trip-2 every time I get gas, and Trip-1 every morning before I take off because I also log daily mileage. Easy to tell where I'm at with a tank by glancing down at Trip-2.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page