Gas gauge sooooo inaccurate - Page 7 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 10:42 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

If you are getting inconsistent results from the fuel gauge you are turning on the ignition with the FJR on it's sidestand. Don't do that. Make sure the FJR is straight up and down before turning on the ignition and getting a fuel level. I have had 13 FJRs across all variants and find the fuel level gauge to be very consistent.

Purveyor of crooked facts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
I guess I just don’t worry about it all that much, I reference it to my gps but any instrument including a gps has some error in it, the best you can get is the calibration standards that regular gauges are checked too, those “standards”at best are +/- 1% of full scale so exact precision just isn’t there.

Myself ? I worry more about the really important things like “what’s for lunch” or “where’s the next bathroom” ,,, the truly important stuff ! As they say “ride more, worry less”
More important is " Does this place have good steak ?"
post #63 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 08:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
More important is " Does this place have good steak ?"
Or how cold is the beer ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #64 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 09:39 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkooterG View Post
If you are getting inconsistent results from the fuel gauge you are turning on the ignition with the FJR on it's sidestand. Don't do that. Make sure the FJR is straight up and down before turning on the ignition and getting a fuel level. I have had 13 FJRs across all variants and find the fuel level gauge to be very consistent.
That's an interesting thought. I do always pull mine upright, raise the sidestand, start it, and ride away. The fuel gauges on both bikes are consistent -- not accurate mind you -- but consistent enough for my needs.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #65 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 09:59 AM
Farkle Trainee

2009 and I've found in my last 1000 miles that I get about 36mpg calculated.
Yesterday, the reserve blinky thing came on at 175 miles, and it took exactly 5.0gals. 35mpg.
I supposedly had 1.6gals left if it has a 6.6gal capacity. That's 54 miles.
I don't mind that. You're right that it seems the first bar is gone around 20miles. Then it seems to slow down progressively as it empties.
Not super accurate, but it's consistent.

My mpg gauge always says 39-41 each tank. It's not close, but whatever. It's unnecessary unless I want to pretend I get 40mpg. Lol
post #66 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 12:47 PM
FJR Top Gun

Well, there is a difference between how linear the blocks fade away vs the bike's computer figuring your average mpg gallon usage for you

It's simple if you fill up the same way every time to the same fill point in the neck every time to to calculate what your gas mileage is by miles ridden divided by gallons to refill. 175 miles ridden divided by 3.8 gallons to refill will net you 46 mpg, regardless of what the computer says (I like simple math). 175 miles ridden divided by 5.0 gallons to refill nets you 35 mpg, regardless of what the computer says. And it doesn't matter if you rode easy some, hard, some, point and shoot in the twisties some, ran into a headwind or a tail wind some, it's an average. Math is math. Over that 175 miles you averaged X mpg for the whole 175 miles depending on how many gallons it took to refill.

The disappearing blocks are just there to drive you crazy and make you nervous about running out of fuel. The computer is just hand grenades and horse shoes close.
Little Joe and slowdave like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #67 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 03:57 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
Yesterday, the reserve blinky thing came on at 175 miles, and it took exactly 5.0gals. 35mpg.
I don't mind that. You're right that it seems the first bar is gone around 20miles. Then it seems to slow down progressively as it empties.

My mpg gauge always says 39-41 each tank. It's not close, but whatever. It's unnecessary unless I want to pretend I get 40mpg. Lol

Your mileage sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
slowdave likes this.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #68 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 04:38 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post

Your mileage sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I suppose I could putt around like a grandpa and get 40, but that's no fun. And the extra $5 over the last 1000 miles isn't really worth it to me.
post #69 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 12:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Keep in mind these engines are extremely low torque and despite similar HP numbers, wouldn't get a car off the line. (without a like 20 gear transmission) They're able to hit those numbers at extremely high RPMs. You'd be able to hit immense numbers turning your Civic engine at those numbers; it just wouldn't last long. It'd have to be built like the small engines they use in F1 racing machines at massive expense; and even those are frequently rebuilt. Physics, try to tear larger engines apart at such high RPMs.
Exactly...and not at all. Of course cars and trucks are often already coming with 9 and 10-speed transmissions so...

But yes, they spin fast and make race car types of power/liter. But they also last for 10's of thousands of miles. Even our endurance racebikes that spend ~40-50 hours per year IN a race and a similar amount of time in practice (almost all right at peak power or redline) easily go 2 years of racing before needing a refresh. And yeah I wish they didn't cost $1M each but...oh wait, they don't!

That high rpm, high bore/stroke ratio, high output design is the reason they are also low in efficiency. As long as I can buy a bike that does 0-60 in 2.x seconds for < $15k (or < $8k used) and it lasts for YEARS and gets 45 mpg on an easy freeway jaunt...I'm not gonna complain!

Like I said, not lagging technology, different technology.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.

Last edited by slowdave; 08-06-2020 at 12:57 PM.
post #70 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 01:04 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
I jot the odometer on my fuel receipt and input the data to an Excel spreadsheet set up for the purpose. I've used the same spreadsheet with modifications for decades.
Found my twin brother! To some this is worrying. To those of us with the affliction, it's fun. Plus a notes field in the spreadsheet allows for me to look back at trips I've taken and where all I went, miles/day... Nothing like reminiscing over mileage log data!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Mr_Ed and rockman1950 like this.

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page