Gas gauge sooooo inaccurate - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 09:11 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
Not better, different. Not lagging, different objective. Huge shout out to the Honda S2000 which was the first naturally-aspirated car to reach 200 hp/L whereas 600 cc sportbike hit that mark routinely. Civic 1.5L turbo reaching 200 hp (133 hp/L) not very impressive in comparison to those 600s or to an R1 (1L) reaching ~160+ hp (160 hp/L) naturally-aspirated. Cars push towards fuel economy and are getting better about decent performance but very few reach the performance levels of motorcycles. And if they do, they are not 30-50 mpg cars.

Different markets, different objectives.
Keep in mind these engines are extremely low torque and despite similar HP numbers, wouldn't get a car off the line. (without a like 20 gear transmission) They're able to hit those numbers at extremely high RPMs. You'd be able to hit immense numbers turning your Civic engine at those numbers; it just wouldn't last long. It'd have to be built like the small engines they use in F1 racing machines at massive expense; and even those are frequently rebuilt. Physics, try to tear larger engines apart at such high RPMs.

Stock 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6S Blue >60k miles

Last edited by Intuit; 07-25-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 12:14 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Plus all gauges are potentially going to be off. Closest way to getting true MPG is filling all the way up and resetting a trip. Go 100 miles, heck even 50 if you want and refill. See how many gallons it takes to fill her all the way up again and divide the miles by that. Doing it that way (old fashion way) is a good way of testing gears, ridding habits and such. You don't need to run through a whole tank of gas to work out how many miles you are getting per gallon. Of course that is assuming that the odometer actual reads 1 true mile for a mile traveled.
slowdave likes this.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
post #53 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunia720 View Post
Plus all gauges are potentially going to be off. Closest way to getting true MPG is filling all the way up and resetting a trip. Go 100 miles, heck even 50 if you want and refill. See how many gallons it takes to fill her all the way up again and divide the miles by that. Doing it that way (old fashion way) is a good way of testing gears, ridding habits and such. You don't need to run through a whole tank of gas to work out how many miles you are getting per gallon. Of course that is assuming that the odometer actual reads 1 true mile for a mile traveled.
Tested the odometer VS google maps .. so who know ere they started and ended BUT m trip from Pacific WA t Grants pass OR was 423 miles via the odometer google says 398..gain .what part of either city ??still is off some

post #54 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 01:31 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Yeah, I'm going to have to go from mile to mile marker on the highway one day to check it out.
slowdave likes this.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
post #55 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 06:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
I can't be that exact in filling, but the farther I go the more precise my calculations. As an example, 50 miles and 1.25 gallons would be 40 mpg. Dribble 4 more ounces in, and my mileage drops to 39. Make that 200 miles though, and a few ounces matters less -- a lot less. But it still matters.

I think that's why my on-board computer is so far off on many tanks. It has no way of knowing to what point I'll fill it. I checked it just out of curiosity on a trip one time over ten tanks. I filled it, made note of the odometer, and zeroed the on-board calculations. Then I kept track of the gallons over the next ten tanks, totaled them, and calculated the mileage over something like 1800 miles and 4 days of varying conditions, and it was really quite close to the on-board computer -- within a fifth as I remember.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to have to go from mile to mile marker on the highway one day to check it out.
Bear in mind that the mile markers over one mile could be off quite a lot. They won't, for instance, put one in the middle of an exit lane Again, over some distance they're more accurate. I can show you a place near my home where two mile markers are about .8 of a mile apart. But the next two are closer to 1.2. Both are wrong, but combined they're almost perfect over two miles. I always check the odometer over a distance in a few different places. Taken as a percentage mile markers over ten miles are probably a lot more accurate than over one mile.

Oh, I know. But numbers are kind of a thing with me.
Little Joe, slowdave and nunia720 like this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #56 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 07:12 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have always recorded miles/quantities of gas/fuel used in all of my vehicles and hand calculated numbers.
(Now use app MPG Calc on my iphone. It does not require odometer so if you miss a tank , non issue. Set it up for multiple vehicles. Works great)

Rarely is the vehicle computer mpg number accurate on any assorted vehicles I have owned.

On the FJR I keep the mileage read out on Km/litre and use it as a ref when/if I hit reserve. 5L on reserve... I have used 4 l of them a couple of times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #57 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 07:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I guess I just don’t worry about it all that much, I reference it to my gps but any instrument including a gps has some error in it, the best you can get is the calibration standards that regular gauges are checked too, those “standards”at best are +/- 1% of full scale so exact precision just isn’t there.

Myself ? I worry more about the really important things like “what’s for lunch” or “where’s the next bathroom” ,,, the truly important stuff ! As they say “ride more, worry less”

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #58 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 08:33 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
I have always recorded miles/quantities of gas/fuel used in all of my vehicles and hand calculated numbers.
(Now use app MPG Calc on my iphone. It does not require odometer so if you miss a tank , non issue. Set it up for multiple vehicles. Works great)

Rarely is the vehicle computer mpg number accurate on any assorted vehicles I have owned.

On the FJR I keep the mileage read out on Km/litre and use it as a ref when/if I hit reserve. 5L on reserve... I have used 4 l of them a couple of times

I jot the odometer on my fuel receipt and input the data to an Excel spreadsheet set up for the purpose. I've used the same spreadsheet with modifications for decades. It actually started out as a Lotus 123 spreadsheet My wife occasionally misses one, but I can fill in the blanks with a good estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
I guess I just don’t worry about it all that much, I reference it to my gps but any instrument including a gps has some error in it, the best you can get is the calibration standards that regular gauges are checked too, those “standards”at best are +/- 1% of full scale so exact precision just isn’t there.

Myself ? I worry more about the really important things like “what’s for lunch” or “where’s the next bathroom” ,,, the truly important stuff ! As they say “ride more, worry less”
I know I shouldn't, but it's almost like if I stop I'll miss it. When I got the ZRX I decided I wouldn't on it reasoning that it's my hot rod and MPG doesn't matter. And since 1999 it hasn't. I suppose I could stop on everything else and survive, but I'm too old to change.
slowdave and rockman1950 like this.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #59 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 08:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Try the mpg iPhone app. Takes literally seconds to do and multiple vehicle capable.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #60 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 09:35 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
Try the mpg iPhone app. Takes literally seconds to do and multiple vehicle capable.

I'm too set in my ways. I can do stuff with Excel that no other app I've ever seen can do. A few weeks ago a friend and I were theorizing that we get better mileage in winter. It took me a few minutes to calculate my average mileage for January over several years and my average mileage for July (no substantial difference, by the way). Have I mentioned that I enjoy putzing around with numbers

I'm not suggesting anyone else do it my way, though.
slowdave likes this.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page