Gas gauge sooooo inaccurate - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 09:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Truthfully the difference between 40 and 50 mpg matters little to the pocketbook. That'd be 5 gallons over 1000 miles.

Personally, I'd be a lot more excited if I could improve my RVs mileage by 1 mpg than I would be the FJR. But somehow this speedometer error thread turned into a MPG thread, and I just had to relate my experiences.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I am still having trouble with the 50 mpg ( have you checked the accuracy of your Odometer??
I the insta millage calculator trying various gears and various peed I could get it to read 50 f I did 5 in 4th gear ..5 th lugged it which made the mileage drop
( Poor vacuum ) I used to hear mileage like that that on the PC 800 forum..and a few on the Bandit forum ..but alas I guess you right hand is just too heavy for such performance
post #43 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
I am still having trouble with the 50 mpg ( have you checked the accuracy of your Odometer??
I the insta millage calculator trying various gears and various peed I could get it to read 50 f I did 5 in 4th gear ..5 th lugged it which made the mileage drop
( Poor vacuum ) I used to hear mileage like that that on the PC 800 forum..and a few on the Bandit forum ..but alas I guess you right hand is just too heavy for such performance
Well, actually, yes. I always check a trip meter by the mile markers on new vehicles to see. Yes, I've made sure the trip meters track the odometer exactly. And no I didn't check the accuracy of the mile markers I have checked it in different places over different distances and am satisfied that my odometer is very close.

I can get current mpg up to 99.9 coasting down some of those long downhills in the Rockies or the Smokies. That's the limit on the read out; there's no telling how high it would really be. That's probably because the stock ECU turns fuel delivery almost completely off when coasting in gear. I need to check it now that I've got Ivan's flash.

I don't rely on the onboard computer. I actually log my odometer and fuel purchases and check mileage tank by tank. I have checked the onboard computer over several tanks, and even though it doesn't always agree with my calculations it averages out to be very close over several tanks. I suppose that's because I don't always fill exactly the same.

While lower RPM with a very light throttle may improve mileage, lugging it will not.

It's funny, but it seems like if I try to get good mileage in anything it gets worse. I do better just relaxing and enjoying the ride/drive. Slower speeds definitely help. A relaxed pace on crooked roads definitely helps. But trying to use lower throttle settings, lower RPM, etc. only hurts.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

post #44 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 11:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well...... back in the old days, we hooked up a vacuum gauge which instantly tells you how heavy your foot is on the throttle... now they call it an ECO light on the dash.... no reason you couldn't hook up a vacuum gauge to the bike and see when you're "lugging" it, the effects of 4th vs. 5th, etc.
Little Joe likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #45 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 05:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Well...... back in the old days, we hooked up a vacuum gauge which instantly tells you how heavy your foot is on the throttle... now they call it an ECO light on the dash.... no reason you couldn't hook up a vacuum gauge to the bike and see when you're "lugging" it, the effects of 4th vs. 5th, etc.
The old vacuum gauge is a very poor man's excuse for the instantaneous mpg readout of today's vehicles. Going back to that would be like replacing your laser cutter with a sharp rock.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #46 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 11:39 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

True a vacuum gauge is a single input device, maybe not all fancy, but it works. If you have a Gen3, you can use the ECO indicator instead, but it flashes on or off at a tipping point, which you can use in combination with the "instantaneous fuel consumption" if you set your display to that. Compute accuracy over a few tanks and you're good to go.
Sete Bond likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #47 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 12:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

My 1965 Impalla SS had a big ass round vacuum gauge in the middle of the dash. You guys be bringing back some memories. I think of all the different vacuum gauges that I have used to synchronize carbs from the late 60's to now and the only one I now use is a Morgan Carbtune. Hope it works well for the FJR.
Little Joe likes this.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)

Last edited by ReRose; 07-25-2020 at 01:55 AM.
post #48 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 06:44 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
Have to throw power/weight in there. If you get a Honda 250 single (fuel injected) which accelerates about like a Civic, you can get up into the 75 mpg range. If they made motorcycles focused on fuel efficiency, it would be pretty easy to break 100 mpg. And they'd sell like used toilet paper. Lol.
Hehehe. Keep in mind, motorcycles unfortunately lag several years behind cars/trucks. The cages are able to get the best of both worlds. Small engine with big torque + HP via use of hybrid and small turbo. That's how the Civic 1.5L is able to get over 200HP... yet still get low-mid thirties MPG. The same tech applied to the FJR, wouldn't need anywhere near 1.3L... which means you'd do a lot better than 40-50 MPG; while keeping the same or better performance levels...

Stock 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6S Blue >60k miles
post #49 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 02:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

I consistently get between 43 and 48 mpg (45 mpg overall average) ... 44 at 115kph/70mph and more mpg at lower speeds. No complaints about that!

I've also learned that my low fuel warning light starts flashing at about 375km/230miles, at which point there are still 5 litres in the tank. All good.

My only gripe, and it's a tiny one, is that the "range" meter is not particularly useful, especially when it displays "Lo" ... that's essentially meaningless, but I understand it to mean "time to find a gas station!!!"
passx and ReRose like this.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 02:41 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Hehehe. Keep in mind, motorcycles unfortunately lag several years behind cars/trucks. The cages are able to get the best of both worlds. Small engine with big torque + HP via use of hybrid and small turbo. That's how the Civic 1.5L is able to get over 200HP... yet still get low-mid thirties MPG.
Not better, different. Not lagging, different objective. Huge shout out to the Honda S2000 which was the first naturally-aspirated car to reach 200 hp/L whereas 600 cc sportbike hit that mark routinely. Civic 1.5L turbo reaching 200 hp (133 hp/L) not very impressive in comparison to those 600s or to an R1 (1L) reaching ~160+ hp (160 hp/L) naturally-aspirated. Cars push towards fuel economy and are getting better about decent performance but very few reach the performance levels of motorcycles. And if they do, they are not 30-50 mpg cars.

Different markets, different objectives.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page