Gas gauge sooooo inaccurate - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 09:09 AM
FJR Top Gun

I went out and rode mountain passes and canyons with a buddy in Denver maybe 3 years ago and was astonished with the gas mileage I got out there at altitude.
Mr_Ed likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 02:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

I would bet that my FJR would see 50 MPG if it was all hiway and cruise on. For me the fun factor over rides gas milage. Brian and I were in some curvy roads that I never went out of 2nd gear and was speed up and slow down almost at the same time so it was krappy gas milage and a little oil out of the air box hose. Saw a little oil on the ground after parking for the nite and it had come out of one of the drain hoses under the bike but that has been the only time. I have cornerphobia but the FJR did not have me scared.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)
post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 08:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
I would bet that my FJR would see 50 MPG if it was all hiway and cruise on. For me the fun factor over rides gas milage. Brian and I were in some curvy roads that I never went out of 2nd gear and was speed up and slow down almost at the same time so it was krappy gas milage and a little oil out of the air box hose. Saw a little oil on the ground after parking for the nite and it had come out of one of the drain hoses under the bike but that has been the only time. I have cornerphobia but the FJR did not have me scared.
You could absolutely get 50+. The conservative Goldwing rider I mentioned above is my oldest friend, and when riding with him I get 50+ reliably. I took a recent 3000-mile trip alone though, and I averaged in the low 40s. In South Dakota I was getting high 30s, and that was on the highway with cruise set ....... on 92.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 09:37 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Yeah that's a malfunctioning gauge. My 600cc YZF doesn't have one, so I use the trip-meter. How many miles I get after the light comes on, has varied widely. It's primarily dependent upon the mileage, rather than gauge. I've calculated mid-high 20s, high as low 50s. So it's easy to see how it would run dry with a 20 mile variance. Add to that, it seems to need a refill sooner, in the unusual event that it's allowed to sit for a couple of weeks or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Road crew graffiti? What are they, gang members? Do the country folk have a surreptitious way of marking their turf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
........ This is a nice decreasing radius turn. A couple weeks ago two 600 sport bikes couldn't make it and ended up under the guard rail on the opposite side of the road.

I can see low-siding on a turn with a quick increase, but decrease? Either low-skill, ran out of luck (critter/debris) or both. One probably followed the other, right off the proverbial cliff.

Quote:
this guy was running 34 in a 55

Nice S curve... 34 in a 55 and he still couldn't (or wouldn't) keep it on his/our side of the road. Imagine if you were busting it, taking that S curve coming from the opposite direction.

Just plain drunk or impaired. But taking blind curves in the wrong lane is precisely why I stay the heyell away from "enthusiast" roads. Countless YouRube videos of that crap. With very few exceptions, what hits YouLude, doesn't include the blind-curve wrecks.

Quote:
Sounds like the oil was overfilled. Even with sustained high RPM while leaned over, the engine shouldn't be sucking up oil. Don't know about the FJR, but the YZF is supposedly to be measured, level on a bike stand, (not on the kickstand), and with the dipstick just set in the hole (not threaded in), with a warmed engine (parts/oil expand to make the level read higher). It's also possible to just, over-oil the air filter... assuming it's the oil type.

Stock 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6S Blue >60k miles
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 10:17 PM
FJR Top Gun

The radius of the turn starts out pretty big but then decreases ( gets tighter) it's also down hill and blind due to a hill on the right. If you are not familiar with it, it will catch you out. I'll bet you are right about the second rider target fixating on the rider in front of him and following him right to the guardrail.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 09:40 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
I am going to ask you how you typically operate this machine.. when you first start off at what RPM do you shift, then at what RPM do you typically shift in subsequent gears? At what RPM are you typically cruising at? How many miles on the bike total? Answer those questions as I have a theory.

I doubt very much overfill is an issue, you'd have to overfill a ton past the sight glass... (how much oil was put in at last oil change?).....

There is a crankcase breather hose at the front of the airbox to channel gasses (can be oily) into the airbox and any "unburned oil" will exit via the smaller drain hose at the front lower part of the airbox (it has a filter in it below the airbox). That might accumulate a little oil which eventually will drip out.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 09:59 AM
Farkle Trainee

FYI: recent trip from central TX to western CO and back I got 49.6+ mpg on 6 of 12 tanks. Those tanks were consistently the NM/CO tanks that were a) at higher altitude and b) on curvier more fun roads. I tend to smooth through the curves in a relatively high gear but clicking along pretty quickly. Lower avg speed though. Burning I-10 across west TX at 85-90 actual mph drops me into the 40 mpg area. Can't decide how big the altitude impact is though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
the Ferret likes this.

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 10:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
FYI: recent trip from central TX to western CO and back I got 49.6+ mpg on 6 of 12 tanks. Those tanks were consistently the NM/CO tanks that were a) at higher altitude and b) on curvier more fun roads. I tend to smooth through the curves in a relatively high gear but clicking along pretty quickly. Lower avg speed though. Burning I-10 across west TX at 85-90 actual mph drops me into the 40 mpg area. Can't decide how big the altitude impact is though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I can't either. I can also get good mileage on crooked roads in Arkansas, but I tend to ride a bit faster here. In Colorado I'm in tourist mode and usually riding with others who are in no hurry. Do I get better mileage because of the altitude, the more relaxed pace, or both? Dunno.
slowdave likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I am going on a 400 mile ride tomorrow...a straight shot down I-5 ..will probably average 75 ..I am going to stop in Vancouver WA and then 150 miles later
I am not going to hold my breath for much over 40 mpg ... but that is still awesome to ride a comfortable missile that get better MPG then a Honda Civic
slowdave likes this.
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 10:50 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
I can't either. I can also get good mileage on crooked roads in Arkansas, but I tend to ride a bit faster here. In Colorado I'm in tourist mode and usually riding with others who are in no hurry. Do I get better mileage because of the altitude, the more relaxed pace, or both? Dunno.
It's both, the higher the altitude, the more relaxed pace the higher the gas mileage.

When you are running freeway at high speed, or twisty backroads where you tend to run lower gears to higher rpms you will see less gas mileage. Just the way it is. The more rpms, the less mileage you will see out of a gallon of gas.

I think few "try" and get high mileage, it's just a byproduct of their roads and normal riding habits. Some guys are what I call " revvers" and some guys are what I call " luggers" ( not actually lugging the bike but generally riding in the higher gears and at lower rpms) . If you've ever been to a rally the two groups are easy to spot lol. Nothing wrong with the riding habits of either group, and the bike doesn't care which group you are in. The nice thing about liter plus inline 4 s.
slowdave likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page