Gas gauge sooooo inaccurate - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 67Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 12:26 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 114
Just FYI, over my 3 FJRs, they were all consistent on total tank capacity at 6.5 gal (several fill ups after bike is stumbling--queue the "you're gonna burn up your fuel pump" thread). But they varied a LOT on how much fuel is left when the last bar starts flashing: 1.0, 1.6, and 2.0 gal. Each bike was consistent with itself but that value is not consistent bike to bike.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
slowdave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 10:17 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Benhameen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 121
I get right out 40 miles per bar and when I get down to the blinking bar I fill up right at 5ish gallons, depending on the mileage between blinking and fill up. This does vary if my gal is riding with me or not. As well as if I'm loaded down for a long trip with the trunk attached. Gen 1, silver of course, so it does vary depending on how frisky im feeling on any given day...

Most of the road construction here in Illinois will have those speed indicators as you enter the construction zone, I check my speedometer verses what it says each time and its been dead on. I did this last week as I thought my speedo was off because my buddy that just picked up an FJR wasn't keeping up in the corners. Figured out the his tire pressure was WAY off, he's doing better now that we got that lined out..

Maintain universal balance
Benhameen is online now  
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Auburn WA
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
After 2 years and 31,000 miles I'm not sure exactly how far I can go on a tank but I know I can go 275 miles. By calculator (miles driven by gals used) I know I average 51 mpg, so in theory with a 6.6 gal tank I should be able to go 336.6 miles. I usually fill up around the 220 mark though, but like I said have gone 275 before. I reset Trip-2 every time I get gas, and Trip-1 every morning before I take off because I also log daily mileage. Easy to tell where I'm at with a tank by glancing down at Trip-2.
how on earth do you get 1 mpg .. my best yet is 42 ..worst is 41 .. previous owner averaged 35 ..on the instant calculation mode I have
only seen 50 + when off throttle going down hill...... with a tail wind
Way8lifter is offline  
 
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Auburn WA
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benhameen View Post
I get right out 40 miles per bar and when I get down to the blinking bar I fill up right at 5ish gallons, depending on the mileage between blinking and fill up. This does vary if my gal is riding with me or not. As well as if I'm loaded down for a long trip with the trunk attached. Gen 1, silver of course, so it does vary depending on how frisky im feeling on any given day...

Most of the road construction here in Illinois will have those speed indicators as you enter the construction zone, I check my speedometer verses what it says each time and its been dead on. I did this last week as I thought my speedo was off because my buddy that just picked up an FJR wasn't keeping up in the corners. Figured out the his tire pressure was WAY off, he's doing better now that we got that lined out..
yours sounds more like I had hoped for ( my Bandit was e like that )
as for the speedo .. mine is off both via GPs and road signs
Way8lifter is offline  
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
FJR Top Gun
 
the Ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
how on earth do you get 51 mpg .. my best yet is 42 ..worst is 41 .. previous owner averaged 35 ..on the instant calculation mode I have
only seen 50 + when off throttle going down hill...... with a tail wind

Product of where I live, how I ride and surface of our roads. I live out in the country with sweeper type curvy roads 45-55 mph speed limits with a smooth surface, very few stop signs, even fewer stop lights and very little traffic. It's easy to ride 60 miles with very little gear changing, very little throttle modulation, just back and forth rhythm curves, no stops and only see a couple of cars (one of them usually a Sheriff hiding on the side of the road or coming at you from around a bend). Deer ( turkeys, raccoons, possums, vultures on a dead carcass, coyotes, farm dogs etc can be an issue, as can a piece of farm equipment, pick up truck or old couple in a Buick so you don't want to bust around a curve too fast because there are no escape outlets unless you want to hit a tree or end up in a cornfield. Also at 70 years old I've pretty much put my wild streak behind me, so I just ride at a comfortable pace. The result is good gas, tires and brake pad mileage.





passx and Sete Bond like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 07-20-2020 at 10:14 AM.
the Ferret is online now  
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 11:37 AM
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
moparman70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 45
Send a message via MSN to moparman70 Send a message via Yahoo to moparman70
I just did a ride yesterday and it was my first time I pushed the bike to the flashing fuel indicator. It worked out perfectly -- as I pulled into get gas the fuel started to flash right at that moment.

I put in 5.2 US gallons --- but it was on the side stand. That aside - spec is 6.6 US gallons full minus 5.2 makes my reserve amount at 1.4 US gallons. Manual says spec is 1.45 so I am right on the money.

I second the 60 mile reserve range as I tend to get an average of 40 mpg. But reality is I will work with 40 miles to be safe.

As far as the Full tank indication leaving very quickly to 7/8th tank -- yes I do find that happens but I think its because on the side stand you can fill it to the max -- I did it once on the center stand to compare and it stayed on the full marker longer -- I didnt pay attention to the exact mileage but it was longer. But agree as well with someone above its the end of the tank that matters so do the test yourself in an area where gas stations are a plenty -- ride till it flashes and then pull over and see how much you put in.

1986 FJ1200
1984 NiNJA 900 ( sold )
1990 FJ1200
2014 FJR1300

FZS and FX Waverunners
moparman70 is offline  
post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Rich Doyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Prineville, OR
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Product of where I live, how I ride and surface of our roads. I live out in the country with sweeper type curvy roads 45-55 mph speed limits with a smooth surface, very few stop signs, even fewer stop lights and very little traffic. It's easy to ride 60 miles with very little gear changing, very little throttle modulation, just back and forth rhythm curves, no stops and only see a couple of cars (one of them usually a Sheriff hiding on the side of the road or coming at you from around a bend). Deer ( turkeys, raccoons, possums, vultures on a dead carcass, coyotes, farm dogs etc can be an issue, as can a piece of farm equipment, pick up truck or old couple in a Buick so you don't want to bust around a curve too fast because there are no escape outlets unless you want to hit a tree or end up in a cornfield. Also at 70 years old I've pretty much put my wild streak behind me, so I just ride at a comfortable pace. The result is good gas, tires and brake pad mileage.


My situation is also just like that. The FJR hasn't been on a freeway in 5 years. I'm reliably at 48-50 MPG as a result - higher end in the summer months. My Prius is spectacularly affected by this and the somewhat high altitude, running 60 - 64 MPG in summer.
the Ferret likes this.
Rich Doyle is online now  
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
FJR Top Gun
 
the Ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,127
Today's fill up..213 miles took 4.2 gals... not quite 51 but close lol 50.7 mpg

and some pics from today's ride. This is a nice decreasing radius turn. A couple weeks ago two 600 sport bikes couldn't make it and ended up under the guard rail on the opposite side of the road.



this guy was running 34 in a 55



Nice S curve... 34 in a 55 and he still couldn't (or wouldn't) keep it on his/our side of the road. Imagine if you were busting it, taking that S curve coming from the opposite direction.

passx likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 07-20-2020 at 12:50 PM.
the Ferret is online now  
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 11:09 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 208
My 2015 is 40 to 45 depending on how I ride. I have never seen the low lite on mine because at 200 miles I start looking for gas.

Mr Ferret those roads look like the ones BTL68 and I ride so when on them kind of roads I make sure I find fuel. I will take them kind of roads over hiway any day.
the Ferret likes this.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)
ReRose is offline  
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 07:12 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
how on earth do you get 51 mpg .. my best yet is 42 ..worst is 41 .. previous owner averaged 35 ..on the instant calculation mode I have
only seen 50 + when off throttle going down hill...... with a tail wind
My oldest riding buddy is a very conservative Goldwing rider, and when following him I've seen over 50 tank after tank many times. The most I've ever gotten when riding with him is 59.4. I suspect that 59.4 was a short fill, though, because I only got 48.8 on the next tank. But that same trip I got mid-50s several times.

The worst I've ever gotten was 33.9. 33.9 was more fun.

I just set the trip meter as well. I do it in my truck, both bikes, and even the RV. I started doing it in the mid-60s before bikes had fuel gauges and just never quit.
the Ferret likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
Mr_Ed is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome