Difference between 2016 to 2020 anything? - Page 7 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 01:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Fair number of ES's out there, I have heard of 3 cases of ES rear shock being replaced due to leaking..... leaking at the preload adjust mechanism, there are no individual service parts, for all I know it could be a simple o-ring repair, but the whole thing gets replaced for the big bucks.... if you have access to Y.E.S. extended warranty for a reasonable price, and have an ES, I'd go for it.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 03:37 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I am not a fan of extended warranties; think about how they are priced. The manufacturer figures out how often things go wrong, how often they will have to pay out, and prices the warranties accordingly. If the buyers are getting the better end of the deal, then the warranties are priced too low and the manufacturer will charge more for them. These things are very carefully calculated to benefit the seller, and not the buyer. If they weren't money-makers, they wouldn't sell them.

Granted, they may help out on the rare occasion. But I figure if I am buying a quality product, the odds are I won't need the extended warranty. Besides, I look at all the money I have saved by not buying extended warranties on all the cars and motorcycles I have purchased in my life, and I can afford to shell out if something odd happens. The last time I bought a car, they tried to sell me a $2,000 road hazard warranty to cover the tires and wheels and another $2,000 warranty for the car. I saved $4K in that transaction alone. It is a good thing, since I have owned the car for six years, both warranties would have expired by now, and I never needed them.

If I buy something that would have benefitted from the extended warranty, then I need to look for a better quality product next time.

Current bikes:
1973 Honda CB750
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A

Former bikes:
2001 Honda VT1100C Shadow Spirit
2001 Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S
2003 Honda ST1300
2008 KTM Superduke R 990
2011 Honda CB1000R
2014 Triumph Thruxton
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
post #63 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 05:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
This is the third FJR I got, and I had done some of the maintenance over a few years. I got busy and couldn't look at his hard to start when hot problem, so he took it to a dealer with a multiple award winning Certified Yamaha mechanic. Pics below are before (brought it home in a trailer) and after I got done cleaning it up a bit. I don't know what the heck all you guys are fussing about...... jeez.
[/IMG]
In fairness the mech seems to have at least cleaned the parts..
Followed your rebuild thread in awe. Iíll do most small/big service items but getting handed a jigsaw, another level.

2003 GenI
2006 GenII

post #64 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 10:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRTX View Post
I see some discussion here regarding the differences between A-models and ES-models. I'll share one of my experiences.

I walked into my garage a couple of months ago and found the FJR sitting in a puddle. Turns out the rear shock was leaking. I took it to the dealer and they quoted a price of $4300 to replace the shock, because "...Yamaha sells the whole thing as a unit". They thought the bike I brought in was the ES I had owned previously (same year, same color). When I explained that this was not the same bike, but was an A-model, the price dropped to less than $1000.
That's a big difference in price, I wonder if the A-model rear shock can be used on ES instead of the pricey OE?
I wonder if the ECU would throw an error if it doesn't see the ES shock?

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
post #65 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 07:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRTX View Post
I am not a fan of extended warranties; think about how they are priced. The manufacturer figures out how often things go wrong, how often they will have to pay out, and prices the warranties accordingly. If the buyers are getting the better end of the deal, then the warranties are priced too low and the manufacturer will charge more for them. These things are very carefully calculated to benefit the seller, and not the buyer. If they weren't money-makers, they wouldn't sell them.

Granted, they may help out on the rare occasion. But I figure if I am buying a quality product, the odds are I won't need the extended warranty. Besides, I look at all the money I have saved by not buying extended warranties on all the cars and motorcycles I have purchased in my life, and I can afford to shell out if something odd happens. The last time I bought a car, they tried to sell me a $2,000 road hazard warranty to cover the tires and wheels and another $2,000 warranty for the car. I saved $4K in that transaction alone. It is a good thing, since I have owned the car for six years, both warranties would have expired by now, and I never needed them.

If I buy something that would have benefitted from the extended warranty, then I need to look for a better quality product next time.
What he said. The problem with extended warranties is where do you stop? If your decision point is to buy an extended warranty for every major purchase that has expensive replacement parts you will need to buy a warranty for just about all major purchases these days. While one may pay for itself, over a lifetime you will very likely have purchased dozens of warranties that went unused. The peace of mind may be worth it to some but from a purely financial standpoint I feel very confident stating that the practice of buying extended warranties is not financially beneficial to the overwhelming majority of consumers over the longer term. That certainly has been the case for me (I think I may have just jinxed myself lol).

2016 ES
post #66 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 09:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I do not do extended warranties either...... BUT, you guys have access to 4 years of Y.E.S. for ~$400 (at D&H Cycle, all others start you out at retail). If you can't do your own maintenance, then to me, that's a bargoon you should not pass up, even if you never use it. Up here, that same warranty is nearly $2000, I can do a lotta stuff for $2000.
IF I ever had an ES, I'd be getting the Y.E.S. if in the US. Up here, no way..... but I don't want an ES anyway for other reasons than warranty.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #67 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I ended up buying the 2020 as the deal was worth it but I had to drive 500 miles in my van to get this deal. Still worth it big time.
This is my second FJR. My previous was a 2005.
So far I like this bike more than my 2005.
I only now have 50 miles on it so we will see.
Installing the T Rex front and back sliders tomorrow and looking to buy a used aluminum Touratech rack if you have one let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200716_134956 (Medium).jpg (410.8 KB, 14 views)
Sete Bond likes this.
post #68 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 03:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Michael, thatís **** nice ! I would add that if youíre in the States call D&H and you can get the YES for sub $400, well worth it. Iíll add that generally speaking I donít believe in extended warranties either but after I had the initial clutch problems at 1000mi where they replaced the clutch pack 3 times my wife convinced me to buy the YES warranty and for the $390 it cost me it easily paid for itself. Just the cost of the subframe by itself not installed was nearly $700, didnít cost me a dime. Add in the steering head bearings and the ABS switchís & relays it easily paid for itself.
rbentnail likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #69 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 07:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kuszek View Post
I ended up buying the 2020 as the deal was worth it but I had to drive 500 miles in my van to get this deal. Still worth it big time.
This is my second FJR. My previous was a 2005.
So far I like this bike more than my 2005.
I only now have 50 miles on it so we will see.
Installing the T Rex front and back sliders tomorrow and looking to buy a used aluminum Touratech rack if you have one let me know.
That’s a handsome steed. Very similar color to the 15’s it looks like. 50 miles...lol that’s gotta be a good feeling.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #70 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 06:08 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I do not do extended warranties either...... BUT, you guys have access to 4 years of Y.E.S. for ~$400 (at D&H Cycle, all others start you out at retail). If you can't do your own maintenance, then to me, that's a bargoon you should not pass up, even if you never use it. Up here, that same warranty is nearly $2000, I can do a lotta stuff for $2000.
IF I ever had an ES, I'd be getting the Y.E.S. if in the US. Up here, no way..... but I don't want an ES anyway for other reasons than warranty.
Exactly Ray. To me it's a cost vs. benefit thing. In Canada? Too high a cost. Same as Florida and Washington due to the insurance laws there. But for me $380 was a no brainer. I easily saved significantly more than that just on parts covered. And even if I didn't use it, it's really not that big a deal, less than $100 annually. Less than the cost of a tire.
RaYzerman and passx like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page