Difference between 2016 to 2020 anything? - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 06:51 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Don't listen to the people with problems. Any bike, used or new can have issues. Those issues are their own. I only buy new because I don't trust what people do. Everyone is an expert as you can tell, so buy what you want. Any machine has its share of problems.
passx and Damir like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 08:10 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I'm shocked to hear of all your troubles with your FJR. I'm on my second one (2013 & 2016). Stellar performance with a limitless fun-factor built for long distances while holding lots of gear! There is not a single other bike I would recommend more than the FJR. What troubles did you have?
post #53 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 08:12 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I bought a used 17 this year and it was a box of chocolates. Everytime I performed maintenance I found something wrong, from way under torque rear axle nut, cold spark plugs, missing grommets, loose triple tree nut, all sorts of tight and loose fasteners, and the real kicker was a missing rubber cap on the throttle body take off. A blithering idiot worked on this bike or a shop that didn't care.

My suggestion is if you get used go low miles such as 10k or less where not much work was needed. My 17 had 16,800 miles on it and I would not do that again.

I am in the market for a new 19 A model. I am not a fan of ES as my 09 had after market suspension. The ES is convenient and comfortable (read under sprung) is lacking the performance of the after market stuff I had. And you don't need to be a fast guy to appreciate after market suspension - just find a rough road and ride at a good clip. Going ES was a mistake for me and it is going to cost me dearly to return to what I had. Dumb move on my part, real dumb.

post #54 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 10:15 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kuszek View Post
I am torn between buying a used 2016 or a new 2020.
There does not seem to be any difference between them. Or is there?
I currently own two current gen FJR's (2013 and 2015, both are A, not ES models) and love both of 'em. My personal advice/opinion: If the used one is an A not ES model, I would buy that one as opposed to the new 2020 model as the 2020 model is ONLY available with ES. Personally, I don't need or want ES (in any of my bikes). I set my OEM suspension the way I want it (multiple, easy adjustment options) and ride the **** out of the bike over 100K + miles with no problems. Electronic suspension is just one more electronic gizmo waiting to fail down the road IMHO.... Thanks for considering my viewpoint and feel free to disregard/ignore as you please.. Thanks.
rbentnail likes this.
post #55 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 10:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

This is the third FJR I got, and I had done some of the maintenance over a few years. I got busy and couldn't look at his hard to start when hot problem, so he took it to a dealer with a multiple award winning Certified Yamaha mechanic. Pics below are before (brought it home in a trailer) and after I got done cleaning it up a bit. I don't know what the heck all you guys are fussing about...... jeez.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #56 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 02:33 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Really Ray? Trailering? I thought you were better than that.

:P
RaYzerman likes this.

Three Dead FJRs
Two Zombie Ninja 250s
One Lively Honda NT700V
post #57 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 07:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ray, every time I see the “before pics” it just makes me cringe, it could have been worse as the great “certified” mechanic could have fixed it and let him ride off with something that could have failed on the way causing him to crash, nothing is beyond that guy !

The finished product is nice though, you did a great job ! I still like the rim strips, they really accent the gorgeous blue. Is your buddy still riding it ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #58 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 07:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My project thread contains all the details... not my decorating scheme, just cleaned up everything and put it back together. Intake valves were all carboned up, causing low compression. Idjit certified mechanic thought he'd tear the engine completely apart rather than diagnose the real issue. Shame, not possible to rebuild, so it got a 2014 engine with virtually no miles.... sold it to a friend.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #59 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 09:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
This is the third FJR I got, and I had done some of the maintenance over a few years. I got busy and couldn't look at his hard to start when hot problem, so he took it to a dealer with a multiple award winning Certified Yamaha mechanic. Pics below are before (brought it home in a trailer) and after I got done cleaning it up a bit. I don't know what the heck all you guys are fussing about...... jeez.

Bro, thats a SERIOUS project right there..haha
post #60 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 01:26 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I see some discussion here regarding the differences between A-models and ES-models. I'll share one of my experiences.

I walked into my garage a couple of months ago and found the FJR sitting in a puddle. Turns out the rear shock was leaking. I took it to the dealer and they quoted a price of $4300 to replace the shock, because "...Yamaha sells the whole thing as a unit". They thought the bike I brought in was the ES I had owned previously (same year, same color). When I explained that this was not the same bike, but was an A-model, the price dropped to less than $1000.

Current bikes:
1973 Honda CB750
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A

Former bikes:
2001 Honda VT1100C Shadow Spirit
2001 Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S
2003 Honda ST1300
2008 KTM Superduke R 990
2011 Honda CB1000R
2014 Triumph Thruxton
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page