My fjr's story - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thumbs up My fjr's story

since my fjr1300 is finished (for now) i figured i would share it's story and mine (i hope you're ready for a long read)

i'm 24 years old now (probably the youngest on the forum) and enjoy to work on bikes always loved them im in no means a mechanic im just an IT guy who likes to keep busy is all and besides that i like to do things cheap so this bike got build as cheap as i could too (maybe not the best but this is how i am)

last year around march i was looking for a bike to work on and stumbled upon the fjr i always loved how the bike looks but this one was in pretty rough shape it was a ex police bike that i bought from a dark basement from the chief of police the bike had the engine in it but the valve cover was loose and had no oil in it and the tank resting on it and a couple fairings holding on with a bolt or two and a few boxes filled with parts. (bought the bike for 500 euro)

Having no idea what exactly was wrong with the motor i started lurking on the forum and i learned about the cct going bad and i was pretty sure that's what happened with this one so last year i dropped the engine out of the bike and when taking the head off i ran into my first problem the bolts were PITA to get off and broke my socket not being able to get it off my grand dad came by and said he would be able to get the last bolt off at his place so took the engine over there and guess what he couldn't get it off so as last resort the head of the bolt got drilled off. as a result of this metal shavings dropped down into the balancer assembly

finally the head of the engine came off and when inspecting the valves it was clear that they were bent confirming my thoughts that the cct went bad and the engine skipped timing

after taking the valves out and looking up how much new valves cost i got worried that it would get expensive quick new valves were about 40 euro a piece. Since only 3 valves were still in useable condition this would be very expensive luckily i found a new head on ebay with valves shims and all still in it shipped for 95 euro score!!!

once the head came in i emptied the head took out the shims and valves so i could inspect them luckily for me the valves were in good condition and so was the head. i put the valves in a cleaner agent (cheap stuff you can buy from a shop called wibra but it works wonders it's called dasty for anyone interested) after 2 hours in there they were clean and i could go on cleaning the carbon build up off the pistons

bought new head bolts (expensive fuckers) 123 euro for 10 pieces
bought new headgasket 48 euro

next up cleaning the valve seats and polish them this was a rather fast job once this was done i put the head back together. next up flushing the metal shavings out of the engine i put the engine in a big plastic tub and flushed it out many times using fuel oil till there was no trace of shavings left

then life got busy and the engine sat wrapped up for a while. fast forward to this year April i think i continued working on the bike i bought a new CCT and cam chain (104 euro together) put the head back on the engine and set timing after some help from you guys on the forum and a few tries i got the hang of it next up measuring valve clearance i made myself a little chart and calculated what shims i needed. after sending some emails around i found a shop that was willing to sell the exact ones i need and not a pack of 5 of the same shims a week later they showed up in the mail and notice that it was a mix of shims out of the xpro and hotcams sets doesn't matter too much but was interesting to me. shims were about 28 euro including shipping.

after checking that the valve clearance was good it was time to close the engine up i used some permatex ultra grey on the valve head gasket since it wasn't in the best condition and it's doing its job

getting the engine back in the frame was a pain the way i did it was by putting the engine on cheap bike lift that you could roll around and while the bike is on the center stand with the rear wheel taken out pushing down on it so the front of the bike gets lifted up in the air so that the engine could slide under it. this all said it still took a solid 2 hours to get it in place next up was electrics and the cops did a number on this one. things i took out of the bike siren, speakers, controller unit, 10 meters of wiring and more stuff that i can't recall right now.
next up cooling and here i come across the first part that was missing the fan since prices here for fjr fans were rather expensive i got myself a gsxr750 fan from about 2001 to 2003 it fits perfectly in the fan shroud for the fjr so all is good there now (25 euro fan).

with oil and water in the bike it was ready for a first start up hooked up an external big battery and guess what slow start so back to the forum i go find out that the starter is bad after opening it up and measuring resistance i found out the starter was bad cleaning it didn't help much and it was hard to turn over by hand too

found a cheap starter for 50 euro in the Netherlands ordered it and that one was good and the bike ran for the first time in god knows how many years it ran nice and smooth too i let the bike warm up for a while to make sure the fan kicked on as supposed to and it did great once the bike was cooling down i noticed a coolant leak out of the weep hole on the pump so yet another part to replace once again i went online and found one for 30 euro good price imo bought it and put it on and now the bike was complete (here is a pic of the old water pumps insides)

i pulled the stickers of the fairings and i blocked the blue side lights with some plastidip since we aren't allowed to have them on our bikes/cars

and now the final product not the best pic but since i'm not allowed to ride the bike yet (i took it a few times around the block though) i haven't been able to get some glam shots

there are a lot of other things i've done to the bike but these are the main things
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1182508847.jpg (89.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-841587376.jpg (128.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-608112696.jpg (133.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-460372534.jpg (135.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-319377961.jpg (183.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200701_171600.jpg (490.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-2039884932.jpg (142.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1951478668.jpg (113.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1813043263.jpg (80.4 KB, 12 views)

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a

Last edited by hipi111; 07-08-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 02:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

Fair play for taking on such a basket case fjr. Great work and good write up. Hopefully you'll have many happy kilometres on it.
N4HHE, 2014oldred and hipi111 like this.

2003 GenI
2006 GenII
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Sounds like you're going to end up with a pretty fair bike for the price you paid. And now if anything ever goes wrong with it again, you won't have any problems fixing it.

Did I miss reading, how many miles/kilos on the odometer?

1987 Yamaha Venture to 88,256 miles...crashed
2009 FJR 36500 miles and counting

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRnCO View Post
Sounds like you're going to end up with a pretty fair bike for the price you paid. And now if anything ever goes wrong with it again, you won't have any problems fixing it.

Did I miss reading, how many miles/kilos on the odometer?
the bike has 65000 km a bit over so about 40500 miles

i definitely hope i won't have to fix anything in the near future i think in total i spent about 1200 euro roughly on the bike here the cheapest gen 1 you find is about 3000 so i definitely did well in that department
Little Joe, passx, N4HHE and 1 others like this.

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 04:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Very good story. I applaud your determination on completing the project most people would have just scraped it. That is the kind if bike that would peek my curiosity. By the way the bike looks great. last year I bought A 2002 GSXR1000 with a spun rod bearing at 7,000 miles and rebuilt the entire bike however I lost money on it when I sold it(which I knew I would). The point is I thoroughly enjoyed it and the end results. It seems as though you did also. Good job.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 05:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Excellent story, and nice job on the bike.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra-z1 View Post
Very good story. I applaud your determination on completing the project most people would have just scraped it. That is the kind if bike that would peek my curiosity. By the way the bike looks great. last year I bought A 2002 GSXR1000 with a spun rod bearing at 7,000 miles and rebuilt the entire bike however I lost money on it when I sold it(which I knew I would). The point is I thoroughly enjoyed it and the end results. It seems as though you did also. Good job.
we don't always do it for a profit sometimes you just do it out of passion or interest which is why i did this bike it definitely had some frustrating moments but in the end i'm happy with the result although the fairings have some 'character' to them haha
passx likes this.

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 05:23 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I love the story!! Now I see what we've all been talking about here and there. It's a great feeling to have a basket case come to fruition. Nice job!
passx and hipi111 like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 07:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

So, "What the heck were you doing in the Police Chief's basement!"
passx likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 07:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipi111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cra-z1 View Post
we don't always do it for a profit sometimes you just do it out of passion or interest which is why i did this bike it definitely had some frustrating moments but in the end i'm happy with the result although the fairings have some 'character' to them haha
Right on, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
So, "What the heck were you doing in the Police Chief's basement!" [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]
Looking for FJRs? 😁

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page