since my fjr1300 is finished (for now) i figured i would share it's story and mine (i hope you're ready for a long read)
i'm 24 years old now (probably the youngest on the forum) and enjoy to work on bikes always loved them im in no means a mechanic im just an IT guy who likes to keep busy is all and besides that i like to do things cheap so this bike got build as cheap as i could too (maybe not the best but this is how i am)
last year around march i was looking for a bike to work on and stumbled upon the fjr i always loved how the bike looks but this one was in pretty rough shape it was a ex police bike that i bought from a dark basement from the chief of police the bike had the engine in it but the valve cover was loose and had no oil in it and the tank resting on it and a couple fairings holding on with a bolt or two and a few boxes filled with parts. (bought the bike for 500 euro)
Having no idea what exactly was wrong with the motor i started lurking on the forum and i learned about the cct going bad and i was pretty sure that's what happened with this one so last year i dropped the engine out of the bike and when taking the head off i ran into my first problem the bolts were PITA to get off and broke my socket not being able to get it off my grand dad came by and said he would be able to get the last bolt off at his place so took the engine over there and guess what he couldn't get it off so as last resort the head of the bolt got drilled off. as a result of this metal shavings dropped down into the balancer assembly
finally the head of the engine came off and when inspecting the valves it was clear that they were bent confirming my thoughts that the cct went bad and the engine skipped timing
after taking the valves out and looking up how much new valves cost i got worried that it would get expensive quick new valves were about 40 euro a piece. Since only 3 valves were still in useable condition this would be very expensive luckily i found a new head on ebay with valves shims and all still in it shipped for 95 euro score!!!
once the head came in i emptied the head took out the shims and valves so i could inspect them luckily for me the valves were in good condition and so was the head. i put the valves in a cleaner agent (cheap stuff you can buy from a shop called wibra but it works wonders it's called dasty for anyone interested) after 2 hours in there they were clean and i could go on cleaning the carbon build up off the pistons
bought new head bolts (expensive fuckers) 123 euro for 10 pieces
bought new headgasket 48 euro
next up cleaning the valve seats and polish them this was a rather fast job once this was done i put the head back together. next up flushing the metal shavings out of the engine i put the engine in a big plastic tub and flushed it out many times using fuel oil till there was no trace of shavings left
then life got busy and the engine sat wrapped up for a while. fast forward to this year April i think i continued working on the bike i bought a new CCT and cam chain (104 euro together) put the head back on the engine and set timing after some help from you guys on the forum and a few tries i got the hang of it next up measuring valve clearance i made myself a little chart and calculated what shims i needed. after sending some emails around i found a shop that was willing to sell the exact ones i need and not a pack of 5 of the same shims a week later they showed up in the mail and notice that it was a mix of shims out of the xpro and hotcams sets doesn't matter too much but was interesting to me. shims were about 28 euro including shipping.
after checking that the valve clearance was good it was time to close the engine up i used some permatex ultra grey on the valve head gasket since it wasn't in the best condition and it's doing its job
getting the engine back in the frame was a pain the way i did it was by putting the engine on cheap bike lift that you could roll around and while the bike is on the center stand with the rear wheel taken out pushing down on it so the front of the bike gets lifted up in the air so that the engine could slide under it. this all said it still took a solid 2 hours to get it in place next up was electrics and the cops did a number on this one. things i took out of the bike siren, speakers, controller unit, 10 meters of wiring and more stuff that i can't recall right now.
next up cooling and here i come across the first part that was missing the fan since prices here for fjr fans were rather expensive i got myself a gsxr750 fan from about 2001 to 2003 it fits perfectly in the fan shroud for the fjr so all is good there now (25 euro fan).
with oil and water in the bike it was ready for a first start up hooked up an external big battery and guess what slow start so back to the forum i go find out that the starter is bad after opening it up and measuring resistance i found out the starter was bad cleaning it didn't help much and it was hard to turn over by hand too
found a cheap starter for 50 euro in the Netherlands ordered it and that one was good and the bike ran for the first time in god knows how many years it ran nice and smooth too i let the bike warm up for a while to make sure the fan kicked on as supposed to and it did great once the bike was cooling down i noticed a coolant leak out of the weep hole on the pump so yet another part to replace once again i went online and found one for 30 euro good price imo bought it and put it on and now the bike was complete (here is a pic of the old water pumps insides)
i pulled the stickers of the fairings and i blocked the blue side lights with some plastidip since we aren't allowed to have them on our bikes/cars
and now the final product not the best pic but since i'm not allowed to ride the bike yet (i took it a few times around the block though) i haven't been able to get some glam shots
there are a lot of other things i've done to the bike but these are the main things