Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/)
-   FJR Central (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-fjr-central/)
-   -   As it turns out I'm just not a very good friend to FJRs. (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-fjr-central/151171-turns-out-im-just-not-very-good-friend-fjrs.html)

Aran 07-08-2020 11:43 AM

As it turns out I'm just not a very good friend to FJRs.

4 Attachment(s)
Just wrote my third one off.

The other night I was on my way home from work, hit some gravel while turning left, FJR went fwoop, I went slambouncebouncebounceFUCKbounce.

Just finished with the insurance company on the estimate, it's a writeoff and I'm getting ~$6400 back out of it with all the accessories on it as it sat when I bought it. I just put tires on it so really $6100.

So, time to either look for #4 or try something different for a couple years.

the Ferret 07-08-2020 11:56 AM

Did you wreck the first two also? Man, that is some buzzard luck right there.

Take it you were geared up and relatively unhurt thank goodness.

Aran 07-08-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Ferret (Post 1264913)
Did you wreck the first two also? Man, that is some buzzard luck right there.

Take it you were geared up and relatively unhurt thank goodness.

The first one I was rear-ended on 23 hours after I bought it, the second one I had someone try to pull a Pittsburgh Left on me.... while I was already in the intersection. So we ended up intersecting instead. This was my first at-fault motorcycle accident........yay.....

I had my helmet on but I skipped the jacket for a short ride so I'm scraped up and sore but otherwise fine. I wasn't going that fast when it happened fortunately. A few days from now and I'll be back to good and ready to buy another bike.

I'm already ready to buy another bike but my wife wants me to wait a few days at least. Probably for the best, I don't have my insurance payout yet

RaYzerman 07-08-2020 12:26 PM

Aran, sorry to hear this, hope you're not too stiff and sore. I see a coupla scratches on that beautiful black cherry..... think it will buff right out.... oh wait... again, my sympathies totally.

KilgoreTrout 07-08-2020 12:40 PM

That's a bummer, man, but glad you're mostly ok.

Damir 07-08-2020 12:55 PM

Oh Lord, that's some bad luck, sorry to hear about your mishaps :-(
It's obvious you like the FJR, but how about you try a different bike this time, maybe something lighter and with lower center of gravity.
Also consider to invest into some crash bars or sliders on the next bike (don't ask me how I know)
And yes we all learn it the hard way, the magic word is ATGATT, (don't ask me how I know)
...get well soon and listen to your wife :-)

shifterkart26 07-08-2020 01:47 PM

Glad you are OK and not seriously injured!

zwartie 07-08-2020 01:52 PM

Aran,

Don't think of it as three lost FJRs but rather that the FJR community has gained three parts bikes. Glad to hear you're doing OK. When you look back on the incident, have you thought about how it happened? Inattentiveness, sun shining in your eyes so you couldn't make out the road surface, too much front brake and/or turning speed...? Always good to use these situations as learning opportunities.

Zwartie

TRnCO 07-08-2020 03:12 PM

Gosh dang that's some bad luck. Hopefully you've used up all your bad luck and good luck start coming your way.

NealC 07-08-2020 05:40 PM

Glad your body is (mostly) ok, everything else is replaceable. It's just stuff. That being said, I would fix that bike. It doesn't look to be more than take off parts in the pictures. If frame suspension and drivetrain is good, it definitely repairable.

Winter project?