As it turns out I'm just not a very good friend to FJRs. - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Glad your body is (mostly) ok, everything else is replaceable. It's just stuff. That being said, I would fix that bike. It doesn't look to be more than take off parts in the pictures. If frame suspension and drivetrain is good, it definitely repairable.

Winter project?

It's gone, Copart picked it up hours ago. Every single piece of plastic on the left was damaged, the nose cone piece was cracked, the fairing stay was pretzeled (I bent it back down so I could use the mostly shattered mirror to get home) and it was going to be thousands in parts that all needed replaced. I got $6400 and change for it, a 2007 with 64k miles, I don't have garage space to store a bike to slowly put back together, and I'm already looking at replacing with a newer, lower mileage bike.
TownsendsFJR1300 likes this.

Three Dead FJRs
Two Zombie Ninja 250s
One Lively Honda NT700V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Oh Lord, that's some bad luck, sorry to hear about your mishaps
It's obvious you like the FJR, but how about you try a different bike this time, maybe something lighter and with lower center of gravity.
Also consider to invest into some crash bars or sliders on the next bike (don't ask me how I know)
And yes we all learn it the hard way, the magic word is ATGATT, (don't ask me how I know)
...get well soon and listen to your wife :-)

Thanks but I don't have any issues with the weight or center of gravity on the FJR, it was a freak incident that had nothing to do with my ability to handle it and it was over before I could react in any way. I've had frame sliders on most of my previous bikes but hadn't found a set I liked for this one yet.

As far as gear, this was literally the third time I rode further than past my block without a jacket in 15 years of riding, the second being earlier this month and the first a year and change ago while doing maintenance on it and I went about a mile that time.

Three Dead FJRs
Two Zombie Ninja 250s
One Lively Honda NT700V
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 09:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
It's gone, Copart picked it up hours ago. Every single piece of plastic on the left was damaged, the nose cone piece was cracked, the fairing stay was pretzeled (I bent it back down so I could use the mostly shattered mirror to get home) and it was going to be thousands in parts that all needed replaced. I got $6400 and change for it, a 2007 with 64k miles, I don't have garage space to store a bike to slowly put back together, and I'm already looking at replacing with a newer, lower mileage bike.

YOU GOT 6,400 dollars for an 07!!!! What is the name of your insurance company and where is that corner with the gravel!!!

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonic View Post
YOU GOT 6,400 dollars for an 07!!!! What is the name of your insurance company and where is that corner with the gravel!!!

Progressive.

The base valuation of the bike was $5038, then they added on the Two Brothers Juice Box, V Stream windshield, Throttlemeister grips, and the damaged Givi case/mount (Which were all on it when I bought it.... for about $5000) plus the taxes on all of it

And it was made better with my $0 deductible and accident forgiveness

I've only ever paid for one bike, the rest have been bought with the proceeds from the previous being written off due to someone hitting it or otherwise damaging it, plus profit on top. I've technically not paid for insurance I've made so much in 15 years from writeoffs... Not to brag, since it really sucks to lose a bike outside of your own choice.

Three Dead FJRs
Two Zombie Ninja 250s
One Lively Honda NT700V

Last edited by Aran; 07-08-2020 at 09:37 PM.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:19 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Hate to hear of your predicament but glad you are not hurt worse than you are.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 07:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

Don’t care about the bikes they are infinitely replaceable but please stop it before you hurt yourself.
hANNAbONE likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 11:20 AM
Farkle Trainee

Do you believe in gremlin bells? If not, with that kind of luck you should look into it. Jokes aside, glad you're okay. I've had a few major incidents myself (one involved an unceremonious 'flight' over the length of a Trans-Am in '87); just make sure you aren't using up all of your nine lives, okay?

Now that that's settled, what are you looking at next?

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximrebel View Post

Now that that's settled, what are you looking at next?

I'm eyeing a 2013 FJR a few hours from me but there's also a 2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary Edition with panniers and only 10k miles a little further out

Three Dead FJRs
Two Zombie Ninja 250s
One Lively Honda NT700V
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 03:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
I'm eyeing a 2013 FJR a few hours from me but there's also a 2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary Edition with panniers and only 10k miles a little further out
Go with whichever one has crash bars. Sorry - couldn't resist!

Zwartie
maximrebel and hANNAbONE like this.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 04:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

...or whichever one will have the bigger write off payout..

2003 GenI
2006 GenII

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page