Larger Handgrips - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Larger Handgrips

2005 FJR with stock grips AND it has the friction lock cruise control. What are my options for larger/thicker grips and possibly heated while I am at it? I would also like to install hand guards for the colder weather. Or am I going to be better off going with an electronic cruise control ( if possible) to complete this quest. Enlighten me oh great wise fellow Feejers

Thanks

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 12:38 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Have you thought of Grip Puppies? About $14 on amazon
My 2010 has hand guards and I really like its' ability to block the wind .
Last weekend I rode around Mt Rainier and just on my medium gloves never turned on the heated Grips .( snow at the top of Cayuse Pass
But I will say if you like cold weather riding then step up to the plate and spend the $150 at cycle Gear and buy them. I fought buying them for years but when I did I was amazed at the awesome job they do '
N4HHE and David Shelton like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
Have you thought of Grip Puppies? About $14 on amazon
My 2010 has hand guards and I really like its' ability to block the wind .
Last weekend I rode around Mt Rainier and just on my medium gloves never turned on the heated Grips .( snow at the top of Cayuse Pass
But I will say if you like cold weather riding then step up to the plate and spend the $150 at cycle Gear and buy them. I fought buying them for years but when I did I was amazed at the awesome job they do '
I think I will have to remove the Throttlemeister friction lock cruise control the PO installed. Never used one of those before and I am already spoiled to having cruise control on a bike. Hella nice being able to lock the speed down and shake out the hands when I need to.

thanks
david

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 07:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

With an XXL glove size, I really like the grip puppies. They have the added benefit of further reducing the inline 4 buzz through the bars. Given that they are so inexpensive and easy to install they are worth a shot and if you don’t like them just remove and toss.

I have considered hand guards but find with heated grips I am fine riding down into the low forties with the leather gauntlet style gloves I use year round. Below that, my knuckles do start to feel the cold. I am rarely out in temps below 40 and on the few occasions that I am I just put on my Aerostitch rain shell overglove as it is wind proof which gets me down into the 30s comfortably. I really, really like the heated grips (first bike I’ve had with them). I would start there as that may be all you need.

2016 ES
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 08:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I've been using Grab On Grip Covers but wear one out every now and then. Yea, just one. So I replace it then when its gone the other is ready too. Then repeat the cycle as I have a spare single grip.

Grip Puppies has 5 year warranty. Perhaps its time to try them.

3XL or size 13 hands.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 11:22 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Larger Handgrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shelton View Post
2005 FJR with stock grips AND it has the friction lock cruise control. What are my options for larger/thicker grips and possibly heated while I am at it? I would also like to install hand guards for the colder weather. Or am I going to be better off going with an electronic cruise control ( if possible) to complete this quest. Enlighten me oh great wise fellow Feejers Thanks
David
David,

Some Foam Grips are tubes, which are stretched on, and some are in sheets, which are applied as a wraparound flat sheet. You can have:
Grip Buddies,
Grip Puppies, or
Grab on Grips, just for a start.

You can have several types of hand guards for the cold. Do a Google search for:

2004-2011 SUZUKI V-STROM 650 HAND GUARD SET (and click the [IMAGES] tab above the results)

which are what I have. You can also have Hand Guards like the Barkbusters, of which some versions look clunky, but very effective in the cold. Do a Google search for:

universal hand guards motorcycle (and click the [IMAGES] tab above the results)

which will produce dozens of results, some better than others.

For serious cold protection, Handlebar Mitts (many types and brands) are the best in cold, and maybe rain. Search for:

universal handlebar mitts motorcycle (and click the [IMAGES] tab above the results)

My Vstrom hand guards look good and work with my bar end weights, but I added a 1" lower extension blade across the guard to improve the protection from the cold. With gloves and heated grips, cold hands will not be a problem for me.

To install tubular foam grips, I used a rubber band at the thumb end of the handgrip to hold as many TyWraps as would fit, side by side, around the diameter of the grip (about a dozen). With all the Ty-wrap ends held together at the far end of the grip, I slid the foam grip on as far as it would go, then pushed the foam grip forward along the grip until it was in place, using the Ty-Wraps as "lubrication" for the grip. Then I cut the rubber band, and extracted each Ty-Wrap from under the grip, one by one. Easy-peasy, and no damage to the Ty-Wraps. I did not want to use any liquid as lube for the installation, because I have heated grips. Foam grips will work with heated grips, no problem.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 02:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You could consider the Barkbuster Blizzard hand guards instead of a mitt style... easily removed if desired. They are very good.

As for grips, you have two choices for heated ones..... finding a type that is larger in diameter is a challenge or better yet a contoured shape... so you can put the heat tape type on the bars and find some universal grips of your liking. Some like BMW grips which are contoured..... can add variable controller.

To enlarge grips, the foam covers will insulate the heated ones somewhat, thus I say Grip Buddies, and they come in a "lite" thickness that is not quite as "large" as the regular ones or foam grips. They conduct heat better as they are a denser neoprene.

I think throttle locks are fine as cruise if you get a decent one. Cheaper is the clamp style from China with a thumbscrew adjuster that lets you adjust tension... it just rests against the brake lever and you twist the throttle off when you need to.. works quite good actually. I don't ride much slab, so I really don't use cruise much and throttle locks are fine.
Electronic cruises are Audiovox 100 if you can find one, or a Rostra. There is a really good one from Australia that is a bit pricey, but apparently the best... unless you buy a Gen3.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 04:13 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

A little cheap green hand dish washing detergent in water will let foam grip slide over. When the water evaporates the soap gets sticky. It won't get slick again in the rain.

Installing foam grips dry I use a very long #2 Philips screwdriver. Roll it between grip and foam while pushing the foam over the grip.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 04:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I install grips including my grip puppies using an air hose to blow between the either the grip & the grip puppy or between the handlebar & the grip, works the same for both. They just slide easily on.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 09:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
The best, they add girth but they allow the heat through with heated grips:

https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com

Tried Grip Puppies and the foam just didn't transfer heat well.

And they are a lot easier to install compared to having to lube and slide the foaam grips on!

https://ridermagazine.com/2013/07/03...-grips-review/

https://ridermagazine.com/2019/01/08...s-gear-review/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grip_buddies.jpg (101.0 KB, 8 views)

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page