300 mile Thoughts - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

So I spent this past weekend putting a little over 300 miles (60 miles 2-up) on this new-to-me 09. I went all around rural S. Central Pennsylvania, visited some Gettysburg monuments, etc.
These are my thoughts coming off a CBR1KF: Riding position is definitely less "sport". Stock seat is a tad more comfortable.
Digital gauges are cool. I never thought about wanting a clock/gear indicator/ambient temp gauge, but they're handy. 🙂
I'm still too tall for the screen, but I never really thought about that. It's nice to adjust the wind a bit, though, to cool you down (it was 90+ and humid)
She (passenger) likes the seat better on this one (and actually said she likes the slope it has), but never had a problem with the old bike.
The side bags are cool. They were used for a spare helmet/jacket, some cheese steak subs, breakfast, and a 6pk of miller lite. I always needed a backpack before (or had to mess with soft bags). Storage is so much nicer.
It's a fast bike, as is the hurricane. Deceptively fast. They're similar there, except the fjr is better in the mid-range. It's noticable. Less shifting if you don't want to. It also feels much lighter than it is.
Only 5 gears on the FJR, but to be honest, I only tried for 6th gear once or twice, and wasn't even in 5th much unless on the interstate.
The suspension is a bit soft on this bike and leaves a bit to be desired. I'm 6'2" and 225lbs. I'm reserving my judgment until I get new tires, but I set the front and back as hard as they'd go 1-up and it's better, but yeah.
It stalled on me twice. Both times a few seconds after starting (on light throttle). Hoping it's just from 1k miles/yr for the last 3yrs. It's had 2 doses of seafoam now and hasn't happened again.
Throttle is twitchier than I'd like, which looks like a pretty common complaint.
Heat on your legs in hot weather is WAY better than the CBR. Thank god. You'd get roasted in stop and go on the 1kf.
Fuel mileage actually appears to be slightly better on this bike, even though it's bigger.

Overall, this seems to be a great bike so far. I'm very happy with it, and think it was a great choice for an s/t upgrade to get me out of the stone ages.

Also like to thank this forum for the help and insight so far. Much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200627_194013630_HDR_1593527376034.jpg (137.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200627_193943_1593527390457.jpg (202.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200630_103219_1593527571536.jpg (78.8 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by KilgoreTrout; 06-30-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 12:09 PM
FJR Top Gun

Moving pics are cool. The stock suspension two up is a wet noodle. The pitching for and aft on the passenger is not fun for her. I have two screens. A larger winter one and the stock one for summer.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 12:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

Congrats on the new bike.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Moving pics are cool. The stock suspension two up is a wet noodle. The pitching for and aft on the passenger is not fun for her. I have two screens. A larger winter one and the stock one for summer.
I didn't even know she was back there taking pics. I felt it and wondered what she was doing. They turned out pretty neat, though. Never had an action shot like that.
And yeah, wet noodle suspension is right. The tires only make it exponentially worse. I guess it reminds me never to push it 2 up, but....

A large winter screen is a really good idea. I like that.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
Congrats on the new bike.
Thank you!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 03:27 PM
FJR Top Gun

Now that is a happy passenger

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 04:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Glad you enjoyed the riding. The '09's were good. You are correct with the undersprung suspension..... we can talk all that later, but you should really get the Traxxion fork spring kit, it's truly plug and play and one of the best upgrades you'll ever do is good fork springs.
Pillion will love you more if you get her a Russell passenger seat, but contact Terry Adcox in TN, he does similar for less money. That might help you defer the cost of a real rear shock until later.
Anyway, glad to see you're enjoying it and learning as you go.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Now that is a happy passenger
She loves it. 👍
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Glad you enjoyed the riding. The '09's were good. You are correct with the undersprung suspension..... we can talk all that later, but you should really get the Traxxion fork spring kit, it's truly plug and play and one of the best upgrades you'll ever do is good fork springs.
Pillion will love you more if you get her a Russell passenger seat, but contact Terry Adcox in TN, he does similar for less money. That might help you defer the cost of a real rear shock until later.
Anyway, glad to see you're enjoying it and learning as you go.
Thanks. I'll look in to all that.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 01:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I did a 2-up 300 mi ride last weekend. I rode over a few passes, seeing snow as well as hot canyons, so a very diverse ride. I had no pain or fatigue at all after 7 hours (I have the Yamaha Touring shield and Comfort seat), which is a first for me (my previous XJ900, ST1100, and ST1300 bikes would make me hurt some). My passenger complained about her back during the last two hours, but she hadn't been on the back for a while, so probably just out of practice...I love this bike!

2016 ES

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page