Time on the new FJR - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Time on the new FJR

Got about 300 miles on the new-to-me 2015 this morning. So glad I opted for the newer bike than putting the money into the old one. The cruise control and electronics package make the miles more enjoyable. And the FJR is certainly more comfortable than the VFR for this distance. Might need to start thinking about the seat upgrade. With the seat in the high position it felt like
I was sliding downhill for the entire ride. And I believe the first darkly must be a GPS. Several stops along the way to check the map on my phone. Are you guys using Garmin GPS. My Garmin on my bicycles
Just seems so glitchy. Iíve had three different Garminís and ultimate they are all glitchy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 04:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I find Garmin to be the best of a bad lot. Itís what I use.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 05:21 PM
FJR Top Gun

Nice pic Eric and glad you are enjoying the new bike. I used to live in Ft Pierce. Miss Florida...sometimes lol.

I have mine set up for a Garmin GPS but honestly I do paper maps nearly 100% of the time. I find GPS's handy for local stuff like finding a particular building in a city, but not for traveling for the most part.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 05:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Nice pic Eric and glad you are enjoying the new bike. I used to live in Ft Pierce. Miss Florida...sometimes lol.

I have mine set up for a Garmin GPS but honestly I do paper maps nearly 100% of the time. I find GPS's handy for local stuff like finding a particular building in a city, but not for traveling for the most part.
I do the opposite but the same- gps for traveling and routing, phone and Google for local eateries, etc.
passx likes this.

Russ
2007A

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 05:47 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I use an old Android phone with MapFactor Navigator (free) installed. Maps are free and downloaded on phone. Phone doesn't have a SIM card, so the app doesn't use any data. Turn by turn instructions, recalculates automatically, easy to set waypoints for planned trips, and if the phones falls out of the holder and gets destroyed or gets stolen, meh - it doesn't cost me anything.
N4HHE likes this.

2006 FJR1300A
Central NJ, USA
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 06:10 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Sena comm system in my new helmet. Google maps, Waze maps, music, Pandora, IHeart radio and phone. Hard to beat.
justacrossthehill likes this.

Ducit amor patriae
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 07:19 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
I use a garmin 'cause many times I'm out of cell range. Garmin gives me a heads up of the next turn ahead behind the trees. YES, I know most iphone map apps use the phone's internal gps instead of cell signal, but my garmin always has signal. Unless you in downtown Pittsburgh, darn thing goes haywire there!

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 08:04 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I use an iPhone 11 mounted in a SlipGrip holder. It has never budged in any riding condition. The newer iPhones (and Galaxy phones) are waterproof.

I used to use Navigon app which was very good, but recently went out of business.

Scenic app is what I use now. It is made specifically for motorcycles. The maps are downloaded directly to the phone so cell reception is of no issue.

It can generate “extra curvy” routes from point A to B or start and end in the same place. You can create any route you want and share them with anyone. There are thousands of available routes that people have saved and rated based on various criteria. Its a very powerful and useful tool. The maps are always up to date and high resolution.

If you have a smartphone, there is simply no need for an “old school” Garmin. The hardest part is finding gloves that work on the touchscreen.
gmeltzer and Ericspin like this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 08:10 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If you don't want to be driven crazy, turn auto recalculate off.... my ride trips are such that I haven't found anything better for planning my routes and loading them into my Garmin. I've tried various phone apps, the only ones that can work for me would be ones not needing cell data... I can't afford that when outside of my own border.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 10:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

Looks like you’re headed to Okeechobee. I went through there last Tuesday when bringing the 1290 Super Adventure north from Wellington to Wisconsin. It’s a much better ride up 98 and 441 to Yehaw Junction than taking the Turnpike up. Enjoy the new FJR, it’s a perfect bike for FL riding.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď03 FZ1
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page