Time on the new FJR - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 09:08 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Wow..I've gotten turned around before, but my paper maps have never taken me 600 miles off course
Yes in fact what saved me was I had check the route the night before .so was looking for US rt 95 to intersect with HWY 140 ( I just checked ) it wanted me to keep going North I wanted west
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 12:31 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I have a Garmin Zumo 396Lmts on the right and a Kyocera Duraforce Pro (ruggedized phone) on the left. The phone has an old $5/month sim from one of my kids' old phones, so it can get (slow) data for G. Maps and Waze. It also runs Cardo app, weather alerts, music and more. I get good audio from both devices on my Freecom 4+.

I tried different map apps, but was not happy with any of them, so I sprung for a Garmin from GPS City when they had one of their big sales. Would love one of the new XT models, but cost is prohibitive right now. Maybe Black Friday...

2007 FJR 1300AE ("Cerulean Silver") - 2003 V-Strom ("Pearl Orpiment Yellow")
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 06:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I always use Apple Maps and Garmin 595LM when traveling. Wouldn’t trust one without the other. Between the two, the canary in the coal one is when they don’t agree. The phone is more accurate, but it doesn’t work in a lot of areas. They are rarely both wrong at the same time.
N4HHE and 2014oldred like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 12:54 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Eric -
Congrats on the new to you 2015 FJR. like you, I sold a VFR and bought the FJR as well. Much more comfortable on longer trips, much better riding position (for me at least) as well. The FJR is 125 pounds heavier, but it's a lot more bike than the VFR was. Never regretted the move.
Enjoy the FJR.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Currently:
2004 Miata
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
2017 Ducati Monster
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:54 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

A little jealous of the cruise control, not gonna lie. 😁
Nice bike, man, glad you're enjoying it.
Bill Lumberg and Versatek6 like this.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 07:23 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I could get there before Garmin and get home. Still do without Garmin.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 07:06 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushNatU View Post
I use an iPhone 11 mounted in a SlipGrip holder. It has never budged in any riding condition. The newer iPhones (and Galaxy phones) are waterproof.

I used to use Navigon app which was very good, but recently went out of business.

Scenic app is what I use now. It is made specifically for motorcycles. The maps are downloaded directly to the phone so cell reception is of no issue.

It can generate “extra curvy” routes from point A to B or start and end in the same place. You can create any route you want and share them with anyone. There are thousands of available routes that people have saved and rated based on various criteria. Its a very powerful and useful tool. The maps are always up to date and high resolution.

If you have a smartphone, there is simply no need for an “old school” Garmin. The hardest part is finding gloves that work on the touchscreen.
Klim Induction gloves have replaced my Held gloves. They are superb on my iPhone touchscreen, even with the tempered glass screen protector. The screen protector completely bamboozled the BMW summer gloves. Klim!

And thanks so much for the info on Scenic app.

-------------------------------------
Yamaha FJR 1300A 2007 Gen II (Texas Aggie Maroon)
Triumph Sprint ST 2005 Blue and Noisy
Triumph Sprint ST 2003 Red and Tame
Ducati ST3 2005 Rosso
Ducati Pantah 600SL 1983
Ducati SD Darmah 900 1978
Yamaha RD400D 1977
BSA Victor Shooting Star Legbreaker 1969
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 11:56 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Congratulations! Looks great.
I like the nice clean look without a topcase, I always have mine on though since I usually ride with my wife. I just use my android phone on a ram mount for gps but generally map it out on paper old school style when riding in new areas.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I have used my iPhone 7s with Apple Maps on a stem mount on my 2013 FJR with no problems going from southern Arizona to the Canadian broader twice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page