Is it worth it? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Is it worth it?

I have a 2003 gen 1. Bought it used in 2006 but never really did the LD riding that I hoped. Then I spent several years traveling for work
And she just sat in the garage. Iím at a point with my work and riding where I would like to start some LD riding. Took the FJR to my local Yamaha shop. To clarify, she hadnít been started since 2016. Got an estimate back for about $1600 for new tires, all new fluids, tank and coolant flushes. Injector cleaning. And so on. Estimate seems fair. Bike has a little over 9000 miles. My dilemma.....do I put the money into a low mileage 2003 in great shape structurally and aesthetically or scrap it and and by another newer FJR? What do you guys think? Thanks
bounce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 03:23 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
If your serious about some long distance tour riding (this time) change out the fluids yourself, ride it to a dealer and discuss trade in value.
N4HHE and hANNAbONE like this.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ©Ķ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 03:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

there are many ways to look at it. If u buy a new one, and in a year decide you're not gonna use it much, you are out way more than 2000.oo in taxes and depreciation alone. The resale on the bike u have isn't really gonna change much, and u don't have a lot of money tied up. bikes and woman gonna cost u money no matter what, some more than others.
passx and cra-z1 like this.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 03:58 PM
Training wheels fitted!

You can do a lot of that maintenance yourself to save a significant chunk of change too. Tire change is a miserable experience so I'd absolutely pay a shop to do that for you, but as far as injector cleaning, oil changing and fluid swapping go it's all pretty easy and cheap to do yourself, and you'll get a lot more familiar with the bike.

The new ones are nice, but at 9k miles yours is basically one step from new, and (biased as I am, being that I own an 03' gen 1) It's got a ton of life. The key is to just start - whether it's maintenance or riding, just get off work on a friday and decide to go on a little journey.

2003 fjr1300, Missoula MT USA
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 04:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

another way to look at it as opposed to my above post, if u want a new bike, buy a new bike
passx and ReRose like this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 05:41 PM
FJR Top Gun

I'd let the shop do the work. Nothing wrong with your bike a little TLC won't fix. Then try some progressively longer trips.. day ride, long day ride, over nighter, couple day trip and see if you really like it. Then make your decision on whether you will get the use out of a brand new bike to justify the expense.

Hope that estimate included a new battery
passx, rockman1950 and hANNAbONE like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 06-22-2020 at 05:43 PM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 06:41 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

But the new bikes are so much better sorted for LD riding, better fairing, better rider heat control, heated grips, cruise control, ABS, traction control, electronic suspension adjustment, fuel quantity and flow measurement, better lighting, and so on.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 07:23 PM
Farkle Trainee

Bernie is right about improvements, and a six speed to boot revs a bit lower. Too bad u still have to add a windscreen, risers and a seat for most. btw I had a gen 1 and thought the seat was tolerable, and the driver's a bit longer maybe......gen 2 seat needed a replacement
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 08:24 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'm chuckling a wee bit, but mean no disrespect... you're talking about LD riding yet that bike hasn't gone anywhere and not broken in yet.... OK, so get it running and maintenance up to date and go ride. Maybe next year decide what to do based on how much riding you get in this year.... I don't see buying another bike you're not necessarily going to ride, save yer money.
BTW, one of the things you should do is check the CCT and get the latest one installed so to prevent bad things. Where are you located, maybe there's some tech day thing that can happen........ put your location in your profile and bike model in your signature line.
bounce, swamp shark, Mr_Ed and 8 others like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 09:47 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tychormthorp View Post
You can do a lot of that maintenance yourself to save a significant chunk of change too. Tire change is a miserable experience so I'd absolutely pay a shop to do that for you, but as far as injector cleaning, oil changing and fluid swapping go it's all pretty easy and cheap to do yourself, and you'll get a lot more familiar with the bike.
This gets my vote as well. It's pretty easy to do all the fluids yourself for cheap and let the shop handle the tires if you don't have the tools or desire to tackle that project. Then go ride the heck out of it.

2009 FJR1300A
2006 YZF600R (Sold)
2018 Subaru WRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page