Is it worth it? - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Let me clarify my earlier post. I have not stopped riding during the time I have owned the FJR. I have done several stints of out of town work that have put me away from the bike for extended periods. I also have 3 bikes and have had a habit of grabbing the VFR first. Several LD rides on the Harley with friends lately.....Tampa to NC mountains and back. So, Iím not new to extended ride times.....just havenít done them on the FJR in last few years because of the things just mentioned. Also, Iím an endurance athlete....cycling and paddling so I have the mettle and mindset to take on LD rides on the motorcycle. Basically, I I know how to suffer. Itís just that I want to turn my attention to the FJR because, clearly, itís the best horse in the stable for this type of job. I just havenít done it over the past years. For whatever reason.The MTB and surfski have trashed the back over the past few years and Iím interested in transitioning to something a little less harsh on the back. I know that multi hour days on the motorcycle are not necessarily a kind way to rehab the back but the constant pounding of the MTB or rotation of the surfski are definitely gnarlier ways to treat my back than sitting on the FJR seat. I really appreciate all of the responses to my post. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 02:07 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericspin View Post
I have the mettle and mindset to take on LD rides on the motorcycle. Basically, I I know how to suffer.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 06:20 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I just picked up a 2020 for 15,000. Sell your bike, put the money down on the new one and ride it for 20 years. If you're gonna ride it for a long time and take care of it, the enjoyment is worth it to me.
N4HHE and justacrossthehill like this.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 07:21 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Save the beast I have a 2005 with 2900 miles and just canít give it up. Back surgeries has prevented me from riding but itís brand new!
Anyone want a good deal? Iím torn on keeping or selling just like you. I would freshen up your machine and just ride it .
bounce likes this.

Robert Donahue
San Jose, Ca
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 11:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Well for $1600 you have a bike thatís ready to go and you know it. Thatís what Iíd do and if after a bit you decide to sell it itís worth a lot more with that service work done.
bounce likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď03 FZ1
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 01:48 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Old bikes have a reputation for engine heat. I have a Gen II and it still got hot - so I put wings on the crash bars. Same kind of wings you see on Goldwings except home made. One says Maxwelhouse. Tropicana was too flimsy and got replaced by a piece cut from a white garbage lid. Cools my shins in heat and I turned them inwards in rain and cold.

My advice is have the shop check the cct and then fix the bike and add wings. See how you like riding it and if you like it test ride a new one with the fancy electronics. You will get your money back selling it.

If you want a real soft ride consider a 2018+ Goldwing....
Ericspin likes this.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Is it worth it?

UPDATE....BOUGHT A NEW (to me) ONE! The dealership where I had taken the Ď03 took in a used 2015 ES. Bike is in great shape but no Owner Manual. So, trying to find my way through the electronics. Only a short ride home so far which was mostly highway. Wow, awesome advances since the old Gen 1. Very pleased with the ride. Iíll get her out for some miles and photos this weekend. Guess the old Gen 1 will be going up for sale. Then the farkling begins. Woohoo!

Last edited by Ericspin; 06-26-2020 at 08:44 AM.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:15 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Owners manuals are on line at Yamaha's motorcycle web site.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/mo...owners-manuals
justacrossthehill likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:22 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

clicky -> Free Owners Manual download

Dammit bounce!
bounce and justacrossthehill like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks guys. Iíll download the manual and keep it on my phone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page