Is it worth it? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 08:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Fix it up and ride it. It's still the quickest of the FJRs.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
BTW, one of the things you should do is check the CCT and get the latest one installed so to prevent bad things. Where are you located, maybe there's some tech day thing that can happen........ put your location in your profile and bike model in your signature line.
CCT? I知 in the Tampa, FL area. I値l get my profile updated. Thanks
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
But the new bikes are so much better sorted for LD riding, better fairing, better rider heat control, heated grips, cruise control, ABS, traction control, electronic suspension adjustment, fuel quantity and flow measurement, better lighting, and so on.

Yes, this list of items is causing me to think about it more than I thought I would. The heat from my Gen 1.....whew....and I知 in FL. And the ABS would definitely be handy on our roads that tend to be pretty wet in the summer. Hmmm....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 09:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I'm chuckling a wee bit, but mean no disrespect... you're talking about LD riding yet that bike hasn't gone anywhere and not broken in yet.... OK, so get it running and maintenance up to date and go ride. Maybe next year decide what to do based on how much riding you get in this year.... I don't see buying another bike you're not necessarily going to ride, save yer money.
BTW, one of the things you should do is check the CCT and get the latest one installed so to prevent bad things. Where are you located, maybe there's some tech day thing that can happen........ put your location in your profile and bike model in your signature line.
My thoughts exactly. I know you have the best of intentions, but I wouldn't be buying a new bike until I'd proven to myself that I really will ride it. Fix the one up that you've got. Even if you do wind up selling it you're recover part of your investment in increased value.
mobilemike and hANNAbONE like this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 11:02 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a 2003 gen 1. Bought it used in 2006 but never really did the LD riding that I hoped. Then I spent several years traveling for work And she just sat in the garage. I知 at a point with my work and riding where I would like to start some LD riding. Took the FJR to my local Yamaha shop. To clarify, she hadn稚 been started since 2016. Got an estimate back for about $1600 for new tires, all new fluids, tank and coolant flushes. Injector cleaning. And so on. Estimate seems fair. Bike has a little over 9000 miles. My dilemma.....do I put the money into a low mileage 2003 in great shape structurally and aesthetically or scrap it and and by another newer FJR? What do you guys think? Thanks
Eric,

I'd get an itemized list of the things they want to do, and the prices for each of those items. You can do a lot on your own, if you are so inclined, or if money is tight. You can look in the tank with a (borrowed) USB borescope, to see if it needs cleaning. For the fuel injectors, if the bike runs well enough already, just run a can of SeaFoam through the gas tank, mixed per label directions. That stuff is magic in a can. I would want a shop to do a radiator flush, if needed, because that job is a hassle. See how the rest of your list comes out, then decide on whether those things are worth the money to you. I'd suggest using real gasoline, not ethanol-gas, just for a while, until the bike is sorted out.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Best,
Ericspin likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 12:30 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
CCT? I知 in the Tampa, FL area. I値l get my profile updated. Thanks
cct = cam chain tensioner right side top of the engine they are known to go bad and make your engine go boom ... kinda so take a look at it check if there's a colored dot on it if not REPLACE IT there are a lot of threads here on the forum how to replace them

take a look here https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-f...me-05-fjr.html

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 07:21 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
That shop estimate will grow to over $2000 by the time they are finished. Say you could get $3000 for your bike and now you are looking at $5000 toward a newer one. Put another $2/3000 with that and you can end up with a Gen 3 with cruise, ES suspension (nice if you want LD riding), probably an aftermarket seat that will be nice, and an aftermarket windscreen, maybe a top box, and other farkles already installed. You just need to shop a little.
I sold a perfectly good 08 and bought a 14 with 2826 miles on it and an entire back seat of accessories that went with it. Never regretted the decision.

OR ride your almost new 03 for pocket change. There really is no wrong answer here.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 08:24 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Is it worth it?

Eric,

+1 on the Cam Chain Tensioner. If your CCT does not have the blue dot or green dot, it is an old version, and you will need to replace it before it fails and wrecks your engine. As in, ASAP. You won't need to take things apart, to check the CCT for the dot. You can find CCT process write-ups here, or on the other FJR forums, if you want to do it yourself. The replacement item comes with good peace of mind.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 09:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopheadama View Post
That shop estimate will grow to over $2000 by the time they are finished. Say you could get $3000 for your bike and now you are looking at $5000 toward a newer one. Put another $2/3000 with that and you can end up with a Gen 3 with cruise, ES suspension (nice if you want LD riding), probably an aftermarket seat that will be nice, and an aftermarket windscreen, maybe a top box, and other farkles already installed. You just need to shop a little.
I sold a perfectly good 08 and bought a 14 with 2826 miles on it and an entire back seat of accessories that went with it. Never regretted the decision.

OR ride your almost new 03 for pocket change. There really is no wrong answer here.

All I could see in the first option was $2000 here, $3000 there, and $5000 over there. Blah blah MONEY MONEY MONEY blah blah.

If people ever want to retire early and enjoy the rest of their lives, those numbers are a little too flippant for me. I think I'd choose the 2nd option (ride the Gen 1, do a few things in the garage for cheap to "make it yours", and put the different into paying off your house earlier).

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 10:44 AM
FJR Top Gun

You need to shorten your goals to something more achievable. Dont talk about LD riding if you can not manage a ride to the store a couple of times a year.

Get the bike running and commit to riding it 500 miles this summer. If you make that then increase your goal by small increments. You need to work your way into LD riding. There is preparation, mental and physical conditioning to LD riding.

No one gets on a bike after not riding for several years and does 700 mile days and enjoys it.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page