FJR Weight Saving Modification - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 10:08 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
I look at it the other way. I'm fortunate that my wife hates bikes and will not ride. My time, my space.
I used to think this way; my problem is (though it is a really nice problem to have) that i seriously enjoy my time spent with my wife. So while I love spending time by myself, when I do go out and ride for a long time, I always wonder what time I missed with her. I know that sounds pretty wuss to most, but I never really thought I would be that way. Before her, I used to ride every time I could and joined any group I could to ride. I will try to balance it in the near future, but it was my wish for her to join me to experience something I love to do.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximrebel View Post
I used to think this way; my problem is (though it is a really nice problem to have) that i seriously enjoy my time spent with my wife. So while I love spending time by myself, when I do go out and ride for a long time, I always wonder what time I missed with her. I know that sounds pretty wuss to most, but I never really thought I would be that way. Before her, I used to ride every time I could and joined any group I could to ride. I will try to balance it in the near future, but it was my wish for her to join me to experience something I love to do.

Props to people whose SOs are also their best friends. Think of all the people that are married just because they were chasing tail and stood still too long.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 11:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Spousal Unit decided 13 years ago she wanted to ride. Got her first bike in the winter and with 600 miles on the bike, and her, we headed to the lower 48 from AK where we then lived. Now we have about 200,000 miles of riding together. She's ridden to Deadhorse and on most other dirt roads in Alaska and the Yukon, made 12 trips on the ALCAN/Cassiar and ridden in 35 states. I went from a guy who rode mostly locally and on weekends to a couple that makes motorcycling a major focus of our lives. She is on her 5th new Beemer (still has two), a Ural and loves to ride as much as I do. I'm thankful that I don't have a wife that gets pissed when I want to go riding. We leave tomorrow for an 8 day ride around MT with 3 days at the Red Lodge Rendezvous. Oh, but having a wife who rides is very **** expensive.
maximrebel and the Ferret like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 01:03 PM
FJR Top Gun

My wife has had several bikes and ridden her own in the past, but prefers being my passenger. I prefer it too because I was always worrying about her when she was riding her own and watching my mirrors for her more than looking ahead it seemed. I don't worry about her on the back of mine.

Now, I still get in plenty of solo rides, a lot of local stuff, day rides, couple of out of state rallies and a once a year out of state "Fall Men's Trip" with other male members of the family (we have a ton of riders in this family), but my wife and I still enjoy riding together as much as we can. Now at 68, she has had a hip and 2 knees replaced, she is not as comfortable riding long distances so we do a lot of local rides together, mornings or evenings, out to lunch, out to dinner, down along the Ohio river etc ...and she prefers I take the curvy hilly roads as opposed to the straight flat roads to get anywhere.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 07:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
It's tiring being the one doing the planning and making the routes and finding the hotels and feeling responsible for others.
Route planning? What's that?

My biggest complaint about group riding is that in a group ("group" defined liberally as "anything more than you"), there will always be someone who wants to start at the crack of dawn and go to the crash of nightfall (not bad in the winter, but a real PITA in the summertime), someone who dawdles over breakfast, someone who is a slave to the schedule ("We need to make 600 miles today."), and someone who needs to stop and smell every freakin' flower.
justacrossthehill likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 08:11 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
LOl my wife has been riding passenger with me for 48 years, all over the US, Canada, Europe. Great riding partner. She loves riding with me and I love her riding with me. The experiences we have shared on 2 wheels together have been amazing. May be why we have managed to stay happily married for 46 years. (and yes she has been known to fall asleep back there on occasion.

On the way to Florida 1977

Riding the Dragon NC 2010

At my son's house out for an evening ride 2020

Bravo! My wife rode with me on my Yamaha XS750 and was also known to go to sleep on back. She stopped when she got to the point that she couldn't sit with her knees bent that long. As far as safety, I can assure you I was safer with her on back than not.
the Ferret likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:23 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Route planning? What's that?

My biggest complaint about group riding is that in a group ("group" defined liberally as "anything more than you"), there will always be someone who wants to start at the crack of dawn and go to the crash of nightfall (not bad in the winter, but a real PITA in the summertime), someone who dawdles over breakfast, someone who is a slave to the schedule ("We need to make 600 miles today."), and someone who needs to stop and smell every freakin' flower.
Aint that the truth, it turns into a big pita. When you travel alone you meet a lot more ppl too.
bounce likes this.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 08:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'm not really a group rider either, but I am a member of a group of people who meet once a year in various locales, and I seriously enjoy them. I just got home from one at South Dakota and a friend and fellow FJR rider had planned to take and extra couple of weeks to attend the group ride at Red Lodge. Sadly, we decided to cut our rides short because of the COVID-19 scare. I would have enjoyed that ride and meeting some of you folks in person.

I can enjoy a group ride if I'm not in charge. I do not want to organize or try to run one. Otherwise, I just try to remember that it's not all about me and enjoy myself. I've gotten to the point that I enjoy traveling solo. Then it is all about me. An occasional group ride, though, can be fun if I'll let it me.

I will say that if the group ride is the regimented type of ride where everyone has to ride in accordance with the rules set forth in some manual, I'm out. Give me my own space -- a couple of seconds fore and aft -- and I'm good.
bounce, maximrebel and mobilemike like this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 06:47 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I'm with you Ferret - my wife likes to ride with me, and has no interest in getting her own bike. 40 years of riding with me.
She's very comfortable on the FJR, and will not go near the Monster LOL
and we have a Miata if two wheels isn't going to cut it.
the Ferret and zwartie like this.

Currently:
2004 Miata
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
2017 Ducati Monster
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 06:22 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Yeah, I don't get the comment about passengers on touring bikes either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page