FJR Weight Saving Modification - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 09:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer59 View Post
With all of this talk about going lighter, I thought I would share one simple modification that reduced the riding weight of my FJR by 200 lb. (your results may vary).

I removed the passenger seat, and told the wife to get her own motorcycle!

Problem solved. You're welcome.
It's not as quick, but over the past 2 years I've lost 100#. That's more effective that slapping carbon fiber panels over the top of existing hardware to make it LOOK lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I had two Goldwings for a total of eight years. They were never my only bike and I only had the for when she rode with me. But as time went by she rode with me less and less. I don’t like machinery sitting, so I would try to ride them every few weeks until she quit riding all together.

I can honestly say that I could tell no difference in how the bike felt whether she was back there or not. There were a few times I literally had to think about whether she was still with me or not.
Last time I took a passenger was on my 84 GL1200 Aspencade. One of the women had recently separated and her spouse had left the group. She had made so many friends that she wanted to still ride with us but needed a host. Since my wife (of 41 years) had stopped riding even occasionally with me, I was pretty much the odd man out. Ick! The handling was certainly changed and top heavy. I even tipped the bike over when trying to do a 3-point turn around on a blacktop 2-lane when we breached the crown in the road and she shifted her weight.

Never again.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 06-21-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 10:09 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I'm extreamly fortunate I can tell that my wife is on the back just for the simple fact that she weighs in at 75lbs. Yes that is correct not 175lbs. She stands at 4'9". Even her dirt bike doesn't sag when she sits on it. She said it was to firm on the jumps. When I went to find a softer spring the common phrase I hear is "Do you mean a stiffer spring?" Most after markets don't do softer than stock.

Still like the Removed back seat and get your own.

before I even clicked the thread I was waiting to see " Go on a Diet"
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 11:28 AM
Farkle Trainee

I just told her Im going on a 2 hr bicycle ride & when I get back I expect her to be all suited up & ready for a day on the M.C. She promptly told me to go F myself. That's how our rides usually start out , but always end up being alotta fun. It just takes a little effort to get her off the couch. Its one of the only hobbies of mine she actually likes & Id rather ride with her than anyone else.
zwartie likes this.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 03:02 PM
FJR Top Gun

I guess I have a strange relationship with my wife. 29 years this year. I like it when she rides with me. We have coms and talk most of the time. As a matter of fact we talk more and have a closer relationship when she is with me on the bike. We both love it. We also tell each other when we want some silence. Sometimes it happens without saying anything.The conversation just drops off for a while. Sometimes one of us just says " I dont want to talk for a while." No harm in that. After 30 years together if you can not say to each other "I want some space!" You have some relationship work to do.

I also do solo rides and rides with other people she is not invited to. She is fine with that, I am fine with that. I am up front about it and she does not care. Even week long trips without her she is fine with. Our anniversary is in August and for years I rode with a buddy who take the entire month of August so that is when we planned our week long sporty trips. I think I missed 6 or 7 anniversary in a row riding bikes without her. Lately we are doing anniversary trips together.
N4HHE and the Ferret like this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 06:28 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I have been riding with my wife on the back for 42 years and usually get in trouble when I go on a ride without her. She is a great pillion passenger and moves in unison with me. But alas now adays because of age her hip and knee get alittle painful after a full day of riding even with lots of stops. So she is joining me on less and less rides. We do have coms mainly for listening to our own music but comes in very handy for city traffic with an extra set of eyes watching for issues.
mobilemike, the Ferret and zwartie like this.

Cheers
Mark

2006 FJR 1300A
1992 1000 GTR

" Where ever you may be there you are"
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 08:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Never once understood the appeal of putting a precious human life on the back of an motorcycle, let alone a big unresponsive touring bike. Just get a convertible.
Gonna have to respectfully disagree with that statement. My wife of almost 25 years (been together 27 years) is a fantastic passenger. We go on everything from an afternoon on the bike to multi-day rides. I actually asked her out on our first date after taking her for a short ride on my V45 Sabre back in 1993. She has no desire to get a bike of her own but loves being a passenger. I actually enjoy riding with her more than riding solo. If they open the border before the fall we're hoping to do the Blue Ridge Parkway in Sep or Oct.

A few pics from previous rides - great memories!

Zwartie
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 09:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My wife stopped riding with me about twenty years ago. She said all the traffic made her nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
I look at it the other way. I'm fortunate that my wife hates bikes and will not ride. My time, my space.
Now, I'm not wild about riding with other people even when they do have their own bikes. And I get the same reaction from people as I did in 1970 on my Triumph (IL, IA, to ME and NH, and back): "Alone? All by yourself? With no one else with you?"

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

WOW! Tough crowd! WAY to serious! Y'all need to grow a funny bone (or some kind'a bone).
We've been married for 40+ years, and she still rides with me occasionally. We both got a chuckle out of most of your replies. The only part she didn't find humorous, was the 200 lb. part (she goes about a buck 'n a half). I told her the seat weighs 50 lb. and nobody better tell her any different.
All I can figure is you're wives must monitor your internet use...

Too.
mobilemike likes this.

~Yeah, I'm a Boomer. You got a problem with that?!~

2007 FJR AE QuickSilver "The Quickest Color"
1999 XL1200 Sportster "Heritage Custom"
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 "the cow-Wee!" (sold)
1973 Yamaha RD350 "SMOKE'N!" (sold)
1970 MGB "the Wondermobile" Wonder if it'll start? Wonder if it'll stop? Wonder if it'll get me home?
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 06:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
My wife stopped riding with me about twenty years ago. She said all the traffic made her nervous.

Now, I'm not wild about riding with other people even when they do have their own bikes. And I get the same reaction from people as I did in 1970 on my Triumph (IL, IA, to ME and NH, and back): "Alone? All by yourself? With no one else with you?"
Yeah, I can relate. My first decent miles trip was in 1981. Solo. My first FJR multi-night more-than-a-weekend was 9 days to Key West and back. Solo. I plan rides all the time, others come along sometimes but mostly (like today) I'm----- solo. It's tiring being the one doing the planning and making the routes and finding the hotels and feeling responsible for others. It's always been this way. It would be really nice if someone else would do it for me for a change.
passx and mobilemike like this.

Russ
2007A

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

The world is safer if my wife does not ride her own bike

The Goldwing is for when she wants to ride, and the FJR is for solo rides.
bounce likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page