• 2 Post By David Shelton
  • 2 Post By passx
  • 1 Post By 2GENAE

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Trunk Mount/Passenger

Can I get a clarification about the first gen, specifically my 2005 regarding the possible subframe crack. Is it just if using the trunk, or passenger pressing against the trunk that causes the issue? My daughter,6'1" and 170lbs, is on me about going for rides already. After reading about the subframe issue I am looking to understand better whether I can trust it for doubling up.

Thanks

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 06:49 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If you are using a Givi rack (sr357 for later models, donít know for your gen) it isnít an issue. Failures arenít really from passenger weight. Itís more of a flexing issue. Get a stiffy from garauld TechWorks and itíll be fine. Itís not going to dump your passenger, regardless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shelton View Post
Can I get a clarification about the first gen, specifically my 2005 regarding the possible subframe crack. Is it just if using the trunk, or passenger pressing against the trunk that causes the issue? My daughter,6'1" and 170lbs, is on me about going for rides already. After reading about the subframe issue I am looking to understand better whether I can trust it for doubling up.

Thanks

David
passx and 2GENAE like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 09:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

IMHO, passenger should not be leaning on the top box, it should be there as a backstop just in case kind of thing. If you're going the top box route, highly recommended you upgrade the rack to Givi or Yamaha aluminum rack.
The subframe can crack, but no danger of it separating and falling off.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 11:50 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:

Thanks

David
as far as i know its only from someone leaning hard up against the topbox for back support since the cracks happen quite far back. i dont know if you have seen the pics from the stiffy kit you can see where abouts the cracks happen

if you have no topbox and are riding 2 up i dont think you are in any danger here but thats IMHO

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 03:06 PM
FJR Top Gun

My wife leans against the top box but I have a givi 357

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 06:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
FWIW, the first photo from hipi101 is from a Gen2/3 subframe. Here is a typical Gen1 failure:

hipi111 likes this.

"If ya can't be handsome, ya might as well be handy!"

2004 FJR1300
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
If you are using a Givi rack (sr357 for later models, don’t know for your gen) it isn’t an issue. Failures aren’t really from passenger weight. It’s more of a flexing issue. Get a stiffy from garauld TechWorks and it’ll be fine. It’s not going to dump your passenger, regardless.
Quote:

Thanks

David
My apologies, just now realized I didn’t include that I am in fact running the Yamaha factory trunk when it is on. I plan on getting Garauld’s stiffy kit
Bill Lumberg and sparkie like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 03:49 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

For whatís worth, honestly looking at the broken 1st gen frame, I think Just adding a stiffy kit would be enough as the loading on the rear tab would be transmitted to the subframe differently than on the gen3ís like mine. So a heavy aluminum rack, The givi or Shad tube racks probably arenít needed but would just be added insurance. Just my .02 worth on it.
Bill Lumberg and 2GENAE like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 11:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

I use both the SR 357 and the "Stiffy Kit" on my Gen II . My wife 5'6" 180 ish rides a lot now and leans some on the padded back rest GIVI E52 trunk. 18 months and 10,000 miles no crack yet.
David Shelton likes this.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page