Happy Anniversary "Big Blue" - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
I forgot to mention, I don't know how to post pics yet. I need to learn how to do that before I do my solo Montana ride later this yr.
Looking forward to the report and pics jimw. Montana is an awesome place to ride

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 12:28 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

My avatar of the '06 was taken in Montana, on the way to Beartooth pass. On that trip I did 15 western US states plus B.C. About 8000 miles in 30 days with a sleeping bag and a pup tent.
the Ferret likes this.
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 12:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Still working 14hr days, Iím only a whippersnapper :-), so will have to live vicariously through others ride reports but I do hit the like button on occasion when I remember.

Did manage a few bike trips in the states over the years and reading the ride reports brings back some great memories and not a bit of jealousy...
the Ferret and Blueridgerider like this.

2003 GenI
2006 GenII

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 04:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubfjr View Post
Still working 14hr days, Iím only a whippersnapper :-), so will have to live vicariously through others ride reports but I do hit the like button on occasion when I remember.

Did manage a few bike trips in the states over the years and reading the ride reports brings back some great memories and not a bit of jealousy...
Hey Mark. I don't know if you remember me but I rode with you on the Colorado Fjr ralleys a few yrs back. I think you were at both of them? The day we took those gondolas in Telluride was what stands out the most. Those 2 trips were my best rides Ive been on. Hope your doing good.
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 09:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
Hey Mark. I don't know if you remember me but I rode with you on the Colorado Fjr ralleys a few yrs back. I think you were at both of them? The day we took those gondolas in Telluride was what stands out the most. Those 2 trips were my best rides Ive been on. Hope your doing good.
Ah Jim how's it goin? The 2 trips were highlights in my biking career to date aswell. Great company, great riding and lovely breakfasts in Starvin Arvin's.. Those cinnamon rolls
I remember talking to you about the miles you'd need to ride to get home, mucho respect.

I was in the early stages of planning another trip out this summer but then the covid hit...feck!
If this trip happens again i'll be there no problem, will have to rent a bike though as i lost my storage in denver so had to sell my trusty gen 1 steed.

Ride safe!!

2003 GenI
2006 GenII
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 04:10 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Ferret,
Got a dumb question for you; what cell phone holder is that and where did you get it? (Okay, I cheated; that's really two questions ) I'm looking for something just like that for my FJR.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_jawa View Post
Ferret,
Got a dumb question for you; what cell phone holder is that and where did you get it? (Okay, I cheated; that's really two questions ) I'm looking for something just like that for my FJR.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Phone holder? I don't have a phone holder on my bike. My phone is always in my left front pocket. Hmm I do have one of those round ram ball things on there that bolts to the clutch perch for my GPS that I have never used lol. Maybe that is what you are seeing.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 06:06 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Phone holder? I don't have a phone holder on my bike. My phone is always in my left front pocket. Hmm I do have one of those round ram ball things on there that bolts to the clutch perch for my GPS that I have never used lol. Maybe that is what you are seeing.

Yep, that was it!
the Ferret likes this.
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
FJR Top Gun

Oh ok..here ya go

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-309-1U

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 02:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
I don't do it for the likes, I do it because I enjoy doing it, and that I hope other people will enjoy reading it and looking at the pics too. The likes and responses give an indication if other people appreciate your effort, and an indication if they want to see more. I have never been on the other 2 forums. Only this one. If this is the most social of the big 3, the others must be dead zones. But I'm on the ST 1300 forum and the CB 1100 forum and both of those are far more socially active and active in the picture posting/ride reports, so my comparison is between this forum and 2 other forums as well.

I'm certainly not getting butt hurt over people not clicking the like button on my ride reports, have thicker skin than that, but it is nice to see that people appreciate the effort. Personally I wish more people on here did ride reports with pictures. I enjoy that stuff, and get to see pics of country/roads/accommodations/food I might not have seen before. Also get to see pics of beautiful bikes and motorcyclists out enjoying them selves, which is what riding is supposed to be about. Every day on the CB 1100 forum there are pics and ride reports from all over the world. Just today, several from the U.S, plus Italy and Switzerland. They were very nice and I thanked them for posting them. ..as a courtesy, and to encourage them to do more, so I can see more.
Ferret, we could not be more alike in our thinking. If you want "Likes" then get on Bragbook. If that isn't a Me Me Me Look at me place nothing else is. Like Ferret I enjoy seeing what others are up to, where they are riding to, what they are planning etc. I take the time to post some of the things I do every now and then certainly not for Likes but to maybe generate some enthusiasm for others to do the same. This forum is a big disappointment in that way.

I owned GoldWings for years and came from forums that were like Ferret described above, vibrant places where you see different bikes, places, learn about places to visit. The list is long there. You come here and its just...well not much of anything. What does that say about the FJR rider in general? I don't know but it certainly does not give me a positive impression of them.

I went to last years EOM as a new FJR rider. All excited to meet new people etc. Same disappointment. There was no welcoming of anyone new who attended just a very cliquey group of people who really did not seem to care who was new. I had to introduce myself to everyone. The only person who came up to me was another new rider to the event. You were totally on your own for rides etc. You had to practically butt in with a group in the morning if you wanted to ride with them. I asked how you hook up to ride? You just get up first thing in the morning and jump in with a group was the response. Nothing scheduled, nothing to look at or choose from, no ride leader, intros no agenda, nothing. I ended up riding with that new rider who introduced himself to me. At the banquet they were more interested in who rode the most miles to the event rather than asking who came for the first time!! Nobody cared who was new. They never once asked who was there for the first time. We were shocked and disappointed to say the least. If someone from here or the other FJR forum mostly involved with the EOM reads this, I hope you seriously consider making some changes. No way I am going back this year based on how the newbies were treated last year.

I met an FJR rider yesterday on the Parkway. He saw me pull into Pisgah and followed me to ask what I was all about, where from etc. Next thing I know is he invited me to join up with their local Association close to where I live. He is actually a part of a BMW group that accepts all bikes and riders but went out of his way to welcome me! I still cannot get over the nice gesture, I made an instant friend, and am very excited to make more soon. Here I go to an FJR rally, spend money, and time and nobody cares I am there or introduces themselves to me and yesterday a guy goes out of his way to meet me, share his contact information with me, and invite me to join their group. Go figure.

Maybe the FJR has been around so long now people have just lost their enthusiasm for it. But its still motorcycling and you would hope places like this would be more alive with excitement because of what we all love to do and thats ride, go to cool places, make new memories. I am just surprised by the lack of enthusiasm and adventure in this community compared to other owners groups.
the Ferret likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page