Serious whine after changing final drive oil. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Serious whine after changing final drive oil.

I changed the drive oil yesterday and took the bike out for a good long ride today. (2008 model A) Iím getting a whine (Sounds like old snow tires) when I go over 40-50 MPH. Does anyone know if the gear should be hypoid oil? I have the service manual and it doesnít say one way or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 08:24 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt_066 View Post
I changed the drive oil yesterday and took the bike out for a good long ride today. (2008 model A) I’m getting a whine (Sounds like old snow tires) when I go over 40-50 MPH. Does anyone know if the gear should be hypoid oil? I have the service manual and it doesn’t say one way or the other.
Burt,

Yamaha gave an oil spec for the Final Drive, then decided that they did not like their own product there. They came up with a specialized oil, resistant to the oil-shearing action of the gears in the FD. The new product is not just hypoid oil, so says Yamaha.

Yamaha ACC-SHFTD-EX-00 Yamalube Shaft Drive Oil Exclusive for the FJR and one other bike (Royal Star Venture) with a similar FD.

You can get it at Amazon, or some of the bike parts shops on-line, if the local Yamaha dealer does not have it, or maybe they have it for a crazy price. You need such a small amount, and so seldom, that to me the regular price is not a valid consideration on the deal. Some riders claim that Yamaha FD oil is just snake oil, and they may use other stuff, but my call goes to Yamaha. All I can say is, the FD in my FJR does not sing.
Barry58 and ITZ like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Last edited by red; 06-14-2020 at 08:31 PM.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 08:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
I changed the drive oil yesterday and took the bike out for a good long ride today. (2008 model A) Iím getting a whine (Sounds like old snow tires) when I go over 40-50 MPH. Does anyone know if the gear should be hypoid oil? I have the service manual and it doesnít say one way or the other.
Mind telling the masses what you put in it?

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

2013 Stone Grey

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 08:50 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
Quote:
I changed the drive oil yesterday and took the bike out for a good long ride today. (2008 model A) I’m getting a whine (Sounds like old snow tires) when I go over 40-50 MPH. Does anyone know if the gear should be hypoid oil? I have the service manual and it doesn’t say one way or the other.
Mind telling the masses what you put in it?
I know i put Bel Ray gear oil in mine, to the rating standard that the manual calls for. No whine from mine.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I should know better but I went to the local motorcycle store and told him what I had. They gave me Valvoline 75-90 gear oil. It wonít happen again.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The Valvoline should be fine... GL-5 spec, viscosity in the range 75-90 works. I'd think most of us haven't used the Yamalube stuff as a rule, nor should we have to.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
I should know better but I went to the local motorcycle store and told him what I had. They gave me Valvoline 75-90 gear oil. It wonít happen again.
Odd because I've used Valvoline 75w90 Sythhetic gear oil in both my 07 & 13 FJR and even back to my XS750 and XS1100 days. Preferred brand V over the Yamaha brand drive shaft oil. No weird sounds in many years and literally tens of thousands of miles with Valvoline.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

2013 Stone Grey
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:20 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
I should know better but I went to the local motorcycle store and told him what I had. They gave me Valvoline 75-90 gear oil. It won’t happen again.
Not to be dumb, but you sure you’re hearing the shaft and not the engine itself. The FJR engine whines like a bastid when accelerating....
Mr_Ed and ReRose like this.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Iím pretty sure it wasnít doing it before I changed the shaft oil. I ordered the correct stuff and Iíll change it as soon as it comes in. Thanks for your help everyone.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I hope Iím not looking at a problem with this. Iíve been putting a lot of miles on this bike (New to me last year) and I wanted to go over it to avoid problems. I ordered the Yamaha stuff and Iíll let you all know what happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page