Serious whine after changing final drive oil. - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 02:07 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
You should check out that CCT and CBR forums to see if those are prone to getting weak. Clackety is bad, if cam chain skips a couple of teeth, valves hit pistons, bad things happen that cost a ton of money. If in doubt, get new CCT.
I was actually admin on cbrforum for years. The newer ccts are way less prone to failure ('93+, I believe), but I know of a couple older ones that failed. They all seem to clack a bit cold. But you're right..... skipping teeth would be a death sentence, imo. Maybe not when I was younger, but these days I'm probably not splitting a 25yo bike and definitely not paying someone to do it.
Right now I have it torn apart because the idle cable broke. Just another pain in my butt, and a lot of the reason I wanted this "modern" fjr.
RaYzerman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 06:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

Hopefully not the 1kf cct, Honda should be shot for the bloody thing and then putting in under the cams..

2003 GenI
2006 GenII
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 06:32 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubfjr View Post
Hopefully not the 1kf cct, Honda should be shot for the bloody thing and then putting in under the cams..
That's the one.
And I agree.

post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 06:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
That's the one.
And I agree.
Great bike the 1kf, have had a few and only sold my 97 10k mile one last week that Iíve had for 16 years - probably guess the reason for sale Member for many years on cbrforum too.
Bought a blackbird to replace the 1kf about 10years back but the riding position didnít suit so took an fjr for a test ride and rest is history.

2003 GenI
2006 GenII
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:25 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubfjr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
That's the one.
And I agree.
Great bike the 1kf, have had a few and only sold my 97 10k mile one last week that I’ve had for 16 years - probably guess the reason for sale [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG] Member for many years on cbrforum too.
Bought a blackbird to replace the 1kf about 10years back but the riding position didn’t suit so took an fjr for a test ride and rest is history.
I still keep in touch with several people from that forum. Henry designed a pretty cool cct, too, if you remember him?
I actually took a ride down to Tennessee with 4 of the USA guys, too.
I have a 95 that I bought in 05. Been a great bike for the last 40k miles. Only left me sitting twice. Reg/rec both times. Second one actually warped the plastics it got so hot. I figured I had stator problems, but no. A Rick's electrics r/r fixed it right up.
I learned never to skimp on that particular part. Haha
We didn't even get the 97-99 over here. That sounds like a gem. My buddy in Melbourne just upgraded his 91 to a 99. Great bikes the old hurricanes.
I remember when they came out. There was a motorcycle repair shop up the country road from me, and I'd ride my 1980 Honda XR80 up there to check out the cool bikes (I was just a kid).
An 87 hurricane pulled in one day and I was in love (at like 10yrs old). I chased him on my dirt bike and ended up wrecking in to a corn field. Haha....
But I finally got one. And she's been a good bike. I looked hard at the blackbirds before settling on the FJR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page