New to me '05 FJR - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 07:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

David, sorry for the slow response to your subframe question, being that it is a oe topcase I’d probably go with the Yamaha heavy aluminum rear rack,it’s what I did on my 14 after the subframe broke, very nice but expensive piece. I don’t know if the givi sr357 or the new Shad tube frame will work but on all of them you’ll have to do your homework and maybe a little fab to make them work, my.02.

On seats, pretty much imho you have the Russel day Long or the Seth Laam (what I have) both are made to you and quite frankly the prices are about the same as an off the shelf aftermarket one-size-fits-all. Many here have found the oe seat ok as well but I’m not one of them. My Laam is the best I’ve ever owned but I believe the RDL is a tad better, maybe, as some here have claimed,I don’t know.

Also being that you’re 6” you probably have a longer inseam, the reason I ask is that I’m 5’ 10” with a 30”inseam and that makes being able to flat foot my 14 at a light a bit tough with the Laam. I lowered my bike 1/2” which made things pretty much perfect for me. Keep all that in mind. Also looking at your photo’s if you’re 6’ that means your daughter must be 6’2” or so because she appears a bit taller than you, my g-daughter is like that and really likes to stand next to me and look down, never says anything but just grins at me,,, kids !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 06-30-2020 at 06:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 01:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
...the givi sr357 ...
For the Gen1 it was a different part number. Do NOT buy a sr357 for a Gen1.
le_jawa likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 05:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
For the Gen1 it was a different part number. Do NOT buy a sr357 for a Gen1.
The Russ dawg is correct.... Gen 1 part number should be a SR346
le_jawa likes this.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

2013 Stone Grey

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I would not spend money on valving, the OEM is adequate IMHO. The biggest bang for the buck is new fork springs... do that anyway and ride for a while, get the damping dialed in and see what you think. It will cost you a whole $130. When you've got the springs in, set all the damping adjustments to 8 clicks out (clockwise) from fully seated and tweak from there.
When you re-do your forks, use a true 5W oil or 7.5W (mix of 5 + 10 if you have to), there is a Yamalube 7.5W available, but if not.... another brand will do.

The rear shock isn't going to cut it at all... A Gen3 shock likely would have to be on the HARD setting, and it will be a compromise... you should really go shopping for an aftermarket shock properly sprung and with damping adjustments.. keep an eye out for a used one and it can be re-sprung if necessary.
I looked at the RaceTech G3s?? but DAAAANNNGGG they sure are proud of it. If I am understanding your statement, I will still be better off (based on my 290-300lb weight) to go ahead and go the RaceTech G3s route. Or will doing the 3rd gen factory rear do me fine? And do I want hydraulic preload or not?? I appreciate your help and guidance on this

Thanks
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E39D1046-94D9-4B8F-85B9-075093E8037B_1593172337534.jpeg (264.4 KB, 10 views)
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 12:54 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

At that kind of weight, you will want hydraulically adjustable preload to add or reduce preload to suit you. RaceTech will recommend a spring that's likely too hard (they did on mine, hated it until I had it changed), so go with Penske's spring rate recommendations. Again at your weight, it will be harder to peg down a good spring rate, so adjustable preload is a good thing.
Yes, RaceTech is proud of their G3.... don't have to go with them, most aftermarkets aren't cheap but gotta save some gold too. Why not give Cogent Dynamics a call, he does multiple brands, even his own, might set you up with a nice Penske? Or shop around for a used shock and have him refresh it and spring it to your specs. Be patient, they are rarely for sale.
The Gen3 shock on HARD is a 976 lb. spring, in the ballpark, will have to tweak the damping (only one adjustment knob) to suit you, it's the only way you'll control the harshness/softness.
What you get with the G3 is also low and high speed compression, rebound damping adjustments..... full blown adjustable. Any other brands with all that are similarly priced.
David Shelton likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 09:13 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
The Russ dawg is correct.... Gen 1 part number should be a SR346

Thanks for the model #. I'm in the market for a trunk too. I'm normally not a fan of a lot of the aftermarket trunks, but that one looks nice!
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 09:56 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I told myself that I would loose weight by riding and not sitting on the couch watching tv.
Now I find myself checking out hole in the wall wing diners. Small dive bars with great beer. They discount my drink (singular) when the bar keep hears "Just the 1 can I get some water I am riding!"

long story short just get 1 beer with the 40 piece wings.

run the shock till it goes and then cry in the beer as you sit in front of the bike waiting for your parts to show up.

I have been waiting for lots of parts lately. and going through a lot of beer. I might need to start some Polatis or yoga.

Just kidding. The hot yoga is amazing.
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 10:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Wow, a couple of new 2005 guys!

Welcome. Miss my 2005

For more front visibility with LEDs on your forks:
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/15-...ne-lights.html

Might want to look here at some 2005 goodies:
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/22-...arts-sale-usa/

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
At that kind of weight, you will want hydraulically adjustable preload to add or reduce preload to suit you. RaceTech will recommend a spring that's likely too hard (they did on mine, hated it until I had it changed), so go with Penske's spring rate recommendations. Again at your weight, it will be harder to peg down a good spring rate, so adjustable preload is a good thing.
Yes, RaceTech is proud of their G3.... don't have to go with them, most aftermarkets aren't cheap but gotta save some gold too. Why not give Cogent Dynamics a call, he does multiple brands, even his own, might set you up with a nice Penske? Or shop around for a used shock and have him refresh it and spring it to your specs. Be patient, they are rarely for sale.
The Gen3 shock on HARD is a 976 lb. spring, in the ballpark, will have to tweak the damping (only one adjustment knob) to suit you, it's the only way you'll control the harshness/softness.
What you get with the G3 is also low and high speed compression, rebound damping adjustments..... full blown adjustable. Any other brands with all that are similarly priced.
First I have heard of the Cogent Dynamics being mentioned, and appreciate the heads up on RaceTech advice being a little hard. I’ll also check out Penske. As always, thanks Ray

David
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Rick the owner of Cogent is a former Ohlins engineer in Hendersonville... he knows all the brands and can give you a good recommendation and pricing. Suspension isn't all black magic, the concepts are the same throughout all brands.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page