post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 06:44 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

New to me '05 FJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shelton View Post
Can we not edit or add something to posts? What brake pads are you folks using
Dave,

I'm using factory stock brake pads. With the brakes bled as they should be, I'm good. I will probably use factory (OEM) parts again when I replace them.

There should be an [EDIT] button at the bottom of your post. It goes away (no more editing) after some time, not sure how long though. You may not have enough posts here, yet, so that may/may not affect things.

You can find process write-ups on most DIY maintenance for the FJR, either here or on the other FJR forums. Here is a decent one (linked below), I think, but I have not done the CCT job yet myself. I see some extra steps in the CCT process there, which seem important. Since I have a green-dot CCT, there is no need for me to change it for many years yet. You may need to join into the other forum to gain access to this linked post (discussion), but we're mostly friends riding FJRs, no big deal.

https://www.fjrforum.com/topic/13689...nging-the-cct/

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 06:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

Some pretty country there.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 06:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum. Some pretty country in Kentucky. Alas, you have what we call . . . Winter.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I was reading your thread and forgot I had this(see pic's below).

I designed & made it when I had my 2004 FJR (for the passenger.) It was designed to bolt onto (thru actually) a YAMAHA rear luggage box base. Obviously, the rear luggage would not be installed when this backrest is installed..

It was made specifically for a Gen I and access to the third rear hole (furthest back) is needed.

It is made of steel, powder coated with allan head, SS hardware.

The pad itself is (oh boy), a Harley back rest pad (no insignia's in it)..

PM me if interested.. I'm thinking about $60 shipped (which is less than the pad itself)..

In any event, congrates on the new bike(super sharp BTW).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0540.jpg (99.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0538.jpg (102.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0539.jpg (113.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0541.jpg (116.4 KB, 9 views)

Scott

2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

I designed & made it when I had my 2004 FJR (for the passenger.) It was designed to bolt onto (thru actually) a YAMAHA rear luggage box base. Obviously, the rear luggage would not be installed when this backrest is installed..

I would be, but can you clarify how it mounts? Do I need to remove the factory trunk mount plate?

It was made specifically for a Gen I and access to the third rear hole (furthest back) is needed.

PM me if interested.. I'm thinking about $60 shipped (which is less than the pad itself)..

Much appreciated. Can you clarify how the back rest mounts? Do I need to remove the factory trunk mount? I’m still trying to understand the weak link etc to the rear subframe. If having someone leaning against the back rest can cause them to break, then that bothers me

2005 FJR1300 non abs
Corbin Smuggler
Murph's peg lowering kit
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Or does it mount on top of the plate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C7C26E1-5A25-49C3-8461-6BAF6DBB0D90_1592194681548.jpg (106.1 KB, 9 views)

2005 FJR1300 non abs
Corbin Smuggler
Murph's peg lowering kit
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 08:08 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Much appreciated. Can you clarify how the back rest mounts? Do I need to remove the factory trunk mount? I’m still trying to understand the weak link etc to the rear subframe. If having someone leaning against the back rest can cause them to break, then that bothers me
No, the factory mount stays. You do have to remove the 3 factory bolts, then attach the back rest atop the mount. You do have to use the included, longer SS bolts.

The pad is a bit a larger (and is an actual pad) than the stock box pad and angled back a little more.

So, a bit more comfortable, more stable, less weight...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0541.jpg (61.4 KB, 0 views)

Scott

2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 08:12 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Or does it mount on top of the plate
The three factory bolts get removed, the back rest goes on atop, with the included longer bolts.

Scott

post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 09:52 AM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipi111 View Post
i hate to be the guy who always says this but since i have one where it happened to i dont want any of you guys to have your engine blown up. yes you guys on the forum guessed right im talking about the CCT.
I'm sure glad we have people like you who repeats, always says the same stuff, and offers reminders for forgetful people (especially like me!). For us frequent visitors who have to "put up with" the same posts over and over and . . . I always remind myself that I too was a first-timer at one point and those repetitive-posts-for-some were lifelines and just wow! comments for me back then. Thank you for your time to educate our new members!
passx, hipi111 and David Shelton like this.
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 12:20 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

New to me '05 FJR

Quote:
I purchased this 2005 FJR three days ago from a 72 yo man with 43,084 miles on it, no issues that I could find, or he knew of, always dealer serviced to book religion, and immaculately kept. NOW FOR MY ISSUE. After riding it 70 miles the first night I noticed fork oil leaking as it has been sitting for a little bit, and now 15 years old, no biggie needs new seals.
Dave,

Lost in the flurry, but . . .

Are you sure you need new fork seals? Are they damaged? Usually there is just some dirt or grit in the seal rings, allowing the leak. The right fix then is a SealMate tool, US$5.00~$10.00 at the bike shops or on-line, or make your own from milk-jug plastic sheet (or similar). Slide in the tool carefully, snag the grit, and ease it out. Good as new, often-times. Since you are considering new seals now, the SealMate tool is a nothing-much-to-lose deal.

If you do get new seals, get the forks flushed out clean, and be aware that you may need new bushings or other things, while the forks are apart. Chances are, the SealMate tool will "repair" the leak, allowing the seals to seal properly again.
David Shelton likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page