Tour essentials - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Tour essentials

Been riding my FJR for years. Routinely head out for 250-300 mile day-rides in the Rockies. Planning to do a long US trip soon. Don’t know where I’m going or when I’ll be back. Plan to travel light. Will camp and cook. Have a top case and two side cases. Those who’ve travelled long distance, what essentials do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 07:47 PM
FJR Top Gun

Clothing: Helmet, jacket, 2 pairs of gloves, riding pants, riding boots, socks that are washable in the sink (3 pr), shirts that are washable in the sink (3), and undershorts that are washable in the sink (3)...(I wear C9 athletic stuff shirts & under shorts, under my riding gear) a pair of jeans w/thin belt for running around at night and going to breakfast, a flat bottom pair of gym shoes for casual wear, plus a thin windproof jacket liner (think golf type) that can be worn under my coat or as a separate coat off the bike, add a silk balaclava if it's going to get under 50 degrees. Also a Frogg Toggs rain suit

Shaver, medicine, toothbrush toothpaste, deodorant, spare glasses, small bar of soap from home, small first aid kit, a small motion light for the hotel room.

I also carry supplies for making my favorite drink, hot Tea.

I-pad, cell phone, chargers for both

AAA card, Credit cards, Insurance cards (health & Bike),Drivers License, registration, spare key to bike, small amount of cash (plus a small amount of cash hidden on the bike),

Small spritzer bottle for glasses/face shield/windshield plus a microfiber towel.

Bottle of water, paper maps, Rok Straps, Tire repair kit

Everything gets packed in individual zip lock baggies. This keeps me from forgetting something in the room. If a bag isn't filled..somethings not packed.

I can go an unlimited number of days with this.

You will need other stuff for camping. I quit camping maybe 10 years ago when I turned 60 and found it difficult to get up and down off the ground and that I had to do that several times a night lol

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 06-02-2020 at 08:14 PM.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 09:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

Aside from personal essentials(phone, wallet, ID, health and bike insurance cards, first aid kit, cash, credit card,non-polarized sunglasses etc) and clothing, my bike related must haves...spare keys, disc lock and cable, maps and gps, spare intercom unit, comprehensive tool kit(sockets, allen keys, spare fuses, safety wire, duct tape, electrical tape, paracord, etc), sticky plug puncture kit and C02 inflator, small hand pump backup, leatherman multi tool, small flashlight, spray polish and cloths for visor, a heavy neck sock for cold and a silk neck sock for hot(keeps the sunburn off the back of your neck and sometimes keeps hornets and wasps from getting you in the neck) 3 sets of gloves for hot, cold and in between temperatures, and finally, the very essential rain gear, and the utmost essential camelbak hydration pack. I’ve built a checklist that I follow when packing and have honed it down to the basic essentials that have come in quite handy more than once over the years.
FjrjrF, the Ferret, Kelvin and 2 others like this.

2015 Yamaha FJR 1300ES
2015 Yamaha R1
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS

Last edited by Yammieboy; 06-02-2020 at 09:56 PM.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 09:57 PM
FJR Top Gun

Yammieboy is right in that you will eventually narrow your list down to things you feel you cant live without on the road. I'm not a mechanic so no use of me packing tools, hence the AAA card with 150 mile towing, but knock on wood, have never had to use it. Modern bikes are pretty reliable but flats still happen hence the tire repair kit.

At first you will pack way too much, but after carrying it a few times and not using it, you'll dump it from your personal essential list.
Dan Kim, Yammieboy and Sete Bond like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 10:07 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Clothing: Helmet, jacket, 2 pairs of gloves, riding pants, riding boots, socks that are washable in the sink (3 pr), shirts that are washable in the sink (3), and undershorts that are washable in the sink (3)...(I wear C9 athletic stuff shirts & under shorts, under my riding gear) a pair of jeans w/thin belt for running around at night and going to breakfast, a flat bottom pair of gym shoes for casual wear, plus a thin windproof jacket liner (think golf type) that can be worn under my coat or as a separate coat off the bike, add a silk balaclava if it's going to get under 50 degrees. Also a Frogg Toggs rain suit

Shaver, medicine, toothbrush toothpaste, deodorant, spare glasses, small bar of soap from home, small first aid kit, a small motion light for the hotel room.

AAA card, Credit cards, Insurance cards (health & Bike),Drivers License, registration, spare key to bike, small amount of cash (plus a small amount of cash hidden on the bike),

Small spritzer bottle for glasses/face shield/windshield plus a microfiber towel.

Everything gets packed in individual zip lock baggies. This keeps me from forgetting something in the room. If a bag isn't filled..somethings not packed.

You will need other stuff for camping. I quit camping maybe 10 years ago when I turned 60 and found it difficult to get up and down off the ground and that I had to do that several times a night lol

I think that is the most comprehensive answer you will get! Great list.
the Ferret likes this.

Steve in Katy, TX
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
2007 Yamaha Road Star Warrior
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 10:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

and...not to forget, some means of listening to music (unless you donít feel safe listening and riding) and if youíre travelling with another rider(s) an intercom system. I could never go back to the days of no music or intercom...it makes the whole experience much more enjoyable, especially being able to talk with your buddy(ies). Iíd highly recommend Scala Packtalk with the JBL speakers, best system Iíve used yet. Just make sure whatever you get is rated IP67 for water resistance, as many are not.
bigjohnsd and Versatek6 like this.

2015 Yamaha FJR 1300ES
2015 Yamaha R1
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 10:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

I put the sleeping stuff on the back seat, with a small cooler full of frozen half cooked meat wrapped in tin foil & frozen waters for ice. I wedge it on top of the exhaust pipe on the right side , cooks right up. I like the challenge of seeing how long I can go without spending anything (except gas & coffee) I can make it about 3 days, then I open up the wallet. Tent goes on the top box rack & whatever light stuff can strap on there too. I learned my lesson on over packing clothes & stuff, otherwise its turns into a big pain trying to keep organized, it takes some discipline. After a few trips I figured it out tho.
flys low likes this.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 08:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I pack using Eagle Creek Cubes/Half Cubes/Quater Cubes.

For a trip of over a week, I never pack more than 1 pair of long pants, 2 pairs of shorts and t-shirts, 3 days of socks and underwear, 1 pair of sneakers/sandals, and hygiene stuff. What I wear when riding is my riding jacket, pants, boots, gloves. I pick riding gear so that its shell is water (resistant) with vents so that I don't have to also pack a rain suite. Underneath that are t-shirt, undies, socks, and maybe shorts.

Stop every 3rd day where they have a laundry at the hotel/motel.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks everyone. These are good suggestions that will set me off on my trip with confidence. I’m riding alone with a Sena for tunes. When not camping overnight, I have plans to stop over with friends and relatives which will help define my route. I hope to have to time to complete a tour around Lake Superior while out. Did that once before and loved it. Leaving out of Denver around the 13-14th of June. Dropping my bike off today for fluid changes, torquing, and inspection.

Any more ideas/suggestions? I’m all ears.

Thank you.
Michael
2012 FJR1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ruhs View Post
Been riding my FJR for years. Routinely head out for 250-300 mile day-rides in the Rockies. Planning to do a long US trip soon. Don’t know where I’m going or when I’ll be back. Plan to travel light. Will camp and cook. Have a top case and two side cases. Those who’ve travelled long distance, what essentials do you recommend?
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammieboy View Post
Aside from personal essentials(phone, wallet, ID, health and bike insurance cards, first aid kit, cash, credit card,non-polarized sunglasses etc) and clothing, my bike related must haves...spare keys, disc lock and cable, maps and gps, spare intercom unit, comprehensive tool kit(sockets, allen keys, spare fuses, safety wire, duct tape, electrical tape, paracord, etc), sticky plug puncture kit and C02 inflator, small hand pump backup, leatherman multi tool, small flashlight, spray polish and cloths for visor, a heavy neck sock for cold and a silk neck sock for hot(keeps the sunburn off the back of your neck and sometimes keeps hornets and wasps from getting you in the neck) 3 sets of gloves for hot, cold and in between temperatures, and finally, the very essential rain gear, and the utmost essential camelbak hydration pack. I’ve built a checklist that I follow when packing and have honed it down to the basic essentials that have come in quite handy more than once over the years.
Quote:
Yammieboy is right in that you will eventually narrow your list down to things you feel you cant live without on the road. I'm not a mechanic so no use of me packing tools, hence the AAA card with 150 mile towing, but knock on wood, have never had to use it. Modern bikes are pretty reliable but flats still happen hence the tire repair kit.

At first you will pack way too much, but after carrying it a few times and not using it, you'll dump it from your personal essential list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW007 View Post
Quote:

I think that is the most comprehensive answer you will get! Great list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammieboy View Post
and...not to forget, some means of listening to music (unless you don’t feel safe listening and riding) and if you’re travelling with another rider(s) an intercom system. I could never go back to the days of no music or intercom...it makes the whole experience much more enjoyable, especially being able to talk with your buddy(ies). I’d highly recommend Scala Packtalk with the JBL speakers, best system I’ve used yet. Just make sure whatever you get is rated IP67 for water resistance, as many are not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
I put the sleeping stuff on the back seat, with a small cooler full of frozen half cooked meat wrapped in tin foil & frozen waters for ice. I wedge it on top of the exhaust pipe on the right side , cooks right up. I like the challenge of seeing how long I can go without spending anything (except gas & coffee) I can make it about 3 days, then I open up the wallet. Tent goes on the top box rack & whatever light stuff can strap on there too. I learned my lesson on over packing clothes & stuff, otherwise its turns into a big pain trying to keep organized, it takes some discipline. After a few trips I figured it out tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I pack using Eagle Creek Cubes/Half Cubes/Quater Cubes.

For a trip of over a week, I never pack more than 1 pair of long pants, 2 pairs of shorts and t-shirts, 3 days of socks and underwear, 1 pair of sneakers/sandals, and hygiene stuff. What I wear when riding is my riding jacket, pants, boots, gloves. I pick riding gear so that its shell is water (resistant) with vents so that I don't have to also pack a rain suite. Underneath that are t-shirt, undies, socks, and maybe shorts.

Stop every 3rd day where they have a laundry at the hotel/motel.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 11:48 AM
FJR Top Gun

Traveling light and camping/cooking do not go together. I prefer cheep hotels and greasy spoon diners. Local dive bars are great for entertainment and a lot of them have surprisingly good food.

I have never ridden long enough to employ this method but packing less clothes and buying socks, underwear and T-shirts at a local thrift shop or walmart is a great way to lighten the load.

A tire repair pump kit and some protein bars are a necessity.
bounce and passx like this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page