Tour essentials - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 01:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I am NOT a minimalist when traveling. I ride solo, always, so I get to pack whatever I want whenever I want by using the saddlebags, trunk and big case on the rear seat. To me it's not a contest of how little it takes and I'd rather not be in laundromats or using facilities in cheap motels so to pack for 6 or 7 days with clean unsmelling clothes is required. But it's also something you learn as you go along. You'll get better at it as you travel more. Things that are important to me:

- some sort of roadside assistance. AAA was mentioned above, I use the AMA. Well worth it when I needed a rollback ride from 80 miles away:
- join the FJR Assistance List, it's free. See my signature for link;
- do you wear glasses or sunglasses? I put a drug store glasses kit in my underseat tool pouch;
- I utilize the saddlebag liners to pack in stages. That way I don't have to remove/unpack/repack anything unnecessarily. Segregating clean and smelly is simple if you toss in a tall kitchen trash bag or 3. The trunk I use for light stuff- rain gear, maybe a half cover, wind shield cleaner/wipes, etc. The seat bag for awkward & heavier stuff;
- tire repair plugs, installation tools and air compressor. Been utilized many times. I replace plugs and glue yearly, they get awfully hot under the seat. I also test my compressor every spring. Don't want to be surprised far from home. Stash a good Leatherman-type tool with them. Get good quality easy to use air pressure gauge. You'd be surprised just how big a PITA checking tire air pressure can be with the wrong tool;
- personal protection? That's a question, don't know how you feel about carrying or the legalities of where you are or where you'll be. No judgements here, just something to consider.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 07:35 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I think everything has been covered. I also camp and it seems I'm inevitably setting up after dark so I have a couple of led headlamps (with extra batteries). And a stocking cap because some places (like a few miles south of RedLodge MT on Beartooth Hwy) can get pretty cold at night even in July or August. Sunny but cold first thing in the AM. Don;t mind the date stamp - it is obviously in error. It was July 19, 2010.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MC 202.jpg (403.0 KB, 16 views)
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 09:34 PM
FJR Top Gun

Oops I forgot to list one of my most essential items for touring and motorcycle riding, a small digital camera on a lanyard around my neck and a spare battery. Never leave home without it. Really important for bringing home those trip pics especially from places you may only get to once in your life.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 10:17 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I believe this is one of the most important things I wear when I am on the bike. If I go down, who knows where my wallet will end up.

https://www.roadid.com/pages/choose-wrist-nylon-loop

I wear this when I ride the motorcycle or the bicycle and when I run.
the Ferret and lumpytaters like this.

1973 Honda CB750
2001 Honda VT1100C Shadow Spirit
2001 Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S
2003 Honda ST1300
2008 KTM Superduke R 990
2011 Honda CB1000R
2014 Triumph Thruxton
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 11:11 PM
FJR Top Gun

A little ganja for a relaxing evening and a good nights sleep is not a bad idea either.
FjrjrF and Jingo Solo like this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 11:15 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Riding from CT to CA this summer with 2 friends on their Harleys. Trip has been planned for 2 years so hopefully things will be better by then. 3 tshirts,1 extra pair of pants,hygene stuff ,rain gear and tire repair kit. I always packed too much so keeping it minimal. One thing I did learn is to get a thin raincoat where it fits under my riding jacket and hood under the helmet . The rain going down my neck and back annoys me. Also have a cooling neck gator to keep the sun off my neck. May order an air cushion for the seat for insurance as I had a couple surgeries down there . But looking around incase a comfort seat pops up within my budget. Just can't find the liners for the side cases anywhere.

2016 ES. in Ct.
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 01:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
A little ganja for a relaxing evening and a good nights sleep is not a bad idea either.

Joking right? Unless you stay in your local jurisdiction, touring like this might make a speeding ticket much worse.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 04:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon77 View Post
Riding from CT to CA this summer with 2 friends on their Harleys. Trip has been planned for 2 years so hopefully things will be better by then. 3 tshirts,1 extra pair of pants,hygene stuff ,rain gear and tire repair kit. I always packed too much so keeping it minimal. One thing I did learn is to get a thin raincoat where it fits under my riding jacket and hood under the helmet . The rain going down my neck and back annoys me. Also have a cooling neck gator to keep the sun off my neck. May order an air cushion for the seat for insurance as I had a couple surgeries down there . But looking around incase a comfort seat pops up within my budget. Just can't find the liners for the side cases anywhere.
Thanks for the reminder! Add to my lists above:

bug spray. And as a Pastey White Boy I always have sunscreen on hand. Always!

Russ
2007A

post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 06:38 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have roadID on my watch band. Has my emergency contact info as well as what meds I am on (post heart attack) and my med allergies. Have never had to use it, but glad it is there.

https://www.roadid.com/products/appl...nless-sport-id

Dave

'07 FJR1300 (Black Cherry...fastest of the REDs.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 09:22 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon77 View Post
Just can't find the liners for the side cases anywhere.
ebay is your friend.

I found a pre-owned set of the KJD liners there, and they are very nicely made.

2007 FJR 1300AE ("Cerulean Silver") - 2003 V-Strom ("Pearl Orpiment Yellow")

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page