Few questions after a few months of ownership - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Few questions after a few months of ownership

Purchased a 2019 in February so I'm coming up on three months now, love the bike and just have a few questions.

1. I shift into neutral on this bike more than any bike I've ever owned (which is quite a few). More often than not this happens while accelerating hard so I send the poor engine for a spin upon landing in neutral while expecting second. Is this a problem anyone else has experienced? I'm still on the dealership oil, so I'm hoping my first oil change might help with this a bit since the gearbox shares the oil, not sure if there's any logic to this hope though. Alternatively perhaps changing the shifter would help?

2. After hard braking, something feels slightly weird with the front brake. Like a very mild pulsating or grinding feedback in the lever. Not this is after the hard braking, so it's not ABS.

3. At around 80-100 km/h (50-60 mp/h), if I set the cruise control and take my hands off the bar, after maybe 5-10 seconds it goes into a speed wobble. Obviously it's not designed to be ridden with no hands so maybe this isn't a problem, but wondering if it's an early indication of any sort of alignment/balance/etc issues? The front tire has moderate scalping - perhaps this is the cause?

4. I've seen a ton of positive reviews on heli-bars on here and they'll likely be my next add-on. What I haven't seen is much comparison of Heli's vs the other cheaper options. Seems like lesser names can be as much as 1/4 of the price as Heli's - is there any reason to go with Heli's?

5. Based on forum posts I'd like to add a compressor and plug kit under the seat, but the Slime compressor that most seem to recommend either isn't available anymore or isn't available in Canada that I could find. Any other recommendations for something that will fit under one of the seats? Don't want to allocate saddlebag room for this

6. Speaking of saddle bags, Yamaha says not to run a top box in conjunction with saddlebags for fear of overloading the back end. Is this still a problem with a subframe in place?

Sorry if these have been answered before, I did try the search function for most and couldn't find what I needed.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 02:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerdFerguson View Post
5. Based on forum posts I'd like to add a compressor and plug kit under the seat, but the Slime compressor that most seem to recommend either isn't available anymore or isn't available in Canada that I could find.
Cheers!
Terd, saw this one at Princess Auto last week $15 not sure if it would fit under the seat

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...or/A-p8922320e
TerdFerguson likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 02:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
1. I shift into neutral on this bike more than any bike I've ever owned (which is quite a few). More often than not this happens while accelerating hard so I send the poor engine for a spin upon landing in neutral while expecting second. Is this a problem anyone else has experienced? I'm still on the dealership oil, so I'm hoping my first oil change might help with this a bit since the gearbox shares the oil, not sure if there's any logic to this hope though. Alternatively perhaps changing the shifter would help?
Cheers!
I didn't have the same "finding Neutral" issues, but experienced the "overall improvement" in shifting (precision and comfort) after I started using my "composite toe safety boots" last year, had to adjust the shift lever a bit. Was using Alpinestar S-MX6 waterproof motorcycle boots before, and experienced discomfort and redness on the top of my foot, after long rides in the twisties.

Otherwise like you said try the R-1 "upper shift linkage" as it will provide shorter throw.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-...e-upgrade.html

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/11-...t-linkage.html

https://www.sport-touring.net/forums...?topic=21488.0

Last edited by Damir; 05-22-2020 at 02:58 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 02:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

Congrats on the new FJR!
I’ve not had issues when shifting from 1st to 2nd and I haven’t heard of this being a common issue. Perhaps try an adjustment to your shift lever in order to suit your foot position and how you shift, to give a more positive engagement. Pulsating at the front brake lever, other than ABS, isn’t normal or typical. I’d suggest check your front rotors for excessive runout, seems unlikely that they’d be warped, but you won’t know without checking. Regarding speed wobble, at around 80 km/h under hands off deceleration, it isn’t uncommon. Some say switching to tapered head bearings (stock are ball) fixes the problem. I’d suggest checking your head bearing play and re-torque if necessary as it’s common for the head bearings to be on the loose side, even from new...I know mine were, and I’ve adjusted them twice in the first nearly 50,000 km. That can help, as can a new front tire, but it doesn’t always fix the wobble completely. As for the top box along with panniers, don’t do it unless you’ve reinforced the subframe (many use either the Givi 357 rack which inherently strengthens the subframe where it’s weakest, or use a “stiffy kit” or sometimes both). Without adequate reinforcement, FJR subframes have been known to fail with use of a loaded top box.

Last edited by Yammieboy; 05-22-2020 at 02:59 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 07:13 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Hi Terd,

My 2018 was purchased new in October 2019.

I noticed at the first oil change that the factory oil seemed very thin.

I get the pulsing in the brake lever too, but it has lessened considerably with miles. I now have around 4000 miles on the clock.

Yamahaís optional aluminum rear rack strengthens the rear subframe somewhat but is a PITA to fit.

Hope this helps.

MarkD
Dallas, TX
2009 Triumph Rocket III
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 07:18 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
3- yes, change the front tire ( once you feel you got enough use or money out of) .. personally went to Roadsmarts and made all the difference .. and yes , the FJR does eat front tires , anything but those stock Bridgestones
5- look on amazon for small, and low wattage , their are options .. the left front outlet only has a 3amp stock fuse and most car size minis will blow that fuse right away
6 - personally run a Givi V47 topbox , no xtra support, no stiffy , since day one ( yes I realize the risks) and never had a problem yet ( also never load it with more than what a dozen beer and a few groceries would weight) .. not preaching , just saying .. into my 5th season and averaging 12,000 Kms a season
Have fun , and enjoy a fantastic all round motorcycle

2015 FJR1300 A
Grey / Black w/ tall screen
Givi V47 top case
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 09:31 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

1. I suspect shift technique, not letting the shift lever return fully or the position needs adjusting... does it move freely? Perhaps remove shift linkages and grease them, especially the lever pivot.

2. Check the rivets on the brake rotors, are they may have road crud preventing the rotor from properly floating, thus you'll get a pulsing in the lever. Insert a dowel or something in the rotor rivets and rotate them to clean them. Be aware now you may hear a clicking... rotate the rotor by hand (after cleaning the rivets), you'll see that.

3. Tire. Keep your pressures up.

4. Many riser options out there, the blocks only are cheap.

5. Slime compressors at Walmart usually. I have the smallest, haven't checked lately to see what they have now.

6. Yeah, like any of us heeded no top box with saddlebags.... yes take precautions to prevent subframe break, Givi rack my favourite fix.
Sete Bond likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 10:45 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Try this air compressor:

https://fortnine.ca/en/stop-go-porta...air-compressor

I have it for 4 years and it works great. I placed it underneath the rear seat and it fits perfectly. It even has some room for the pressure gauge pen in the case.

Don't connect it to the lighter, you'll kill the fuse . I installed the pigtail directly to the battery and secured it with Velcro. It has plastic cover at the end to protect from weather.

2016 FJR1300 ES
Sargent seat
GIVI Maxia 4
Front & rear cameras
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 06:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

See below.
Quote:
Purchased a 2019 in February so I'm coming up on three months now, love the bike and just have a few questions.

1. Never experienced with either of my FJRís. Not sure itís a bike issue. It may be you. Try adjusting the shifter. Easy to do. //I shift into neutral on this bike more than any bike I've ever owned (which is quite a few). More often than not this happens while accelerating hard so I send the poor engine for a spin upon landing in neutral while expecting second. Is this a problem anyone else has experienced? I'm still on the dealership oil, so I'm hoping my first oil change might help with this a bit since the gearbox shares the oil, not sure if there's any logic to this hope though. Alternatively perhaps changing the shifter would help?

2. Normal. Youíre feeling the rotors. // After hard braking, something feels slightly weird with the front brake. Like a very mild pulsating or grinding feedback in the lever. Not this is after the hard braking, so it's not ABS.

3. Not normal. Donít let anyone fool you. These bikes normally have no wag at any speed.

It isnít likely to be the bike. This is almost always caused by the tire or by something getting bound up on wheel mounting. Easily fixed. Much less frequently, it can be caused by improper steering torque. In those cases, proper torquing does the job. //At around 80-100 km/h (50-60 mp/h), if I set the cruise control and take my hands off the bar, after maybe 5-10 seconds it goes into a speed wobble. Obviously it's not designed to be ridden with no hands so maybe this isn't a problem, but wondering if it's an early indication of any sort of alignment/balance/etc issues? The front tire has moderate scalping - perhaps this is the cause?

4. Helis are the ****. I wonít ride an fjr without them. On my second fjr, I waited to order helis, because I wanted to see if I could force myself to get used to the stock bar positon. **** no. Helis for the win. World class product. Better function than mere riser blocks. Great customer service. // I've seen a ton of positive reviews on heli-bars on here and they'll likely be my next add-on. What I haven't seen is much comparison of Heli's vs the other cheaper options. Seems like lesser names can be as much as 1/4 of the price as Heli's - is there any reason to go with Heli's?

5. Slime compressors are good. I carry the aerostich naked compressor. Got it on sale. Plan on how youíll power it. Cigarette plug in glovebox wonít do it. //Based on forum posts I'd like to add a compressor and plug kit under the seat, but the Slime compressor that most seem to recommend either isn't available anymore or isn't available in Canada that I could find. Any other recommendations for something that will fit under one of the seats? Don't want to allocate saddlebag room for this

6. Itís bullshit. No problem running top case and bags all the time. Even loaded. Subframe is weak period. Sr357 is the gold standard. //Speaking of saddle bags, Yamaha says not to run a top box in conjunction with saddlebags for fear of overloading the back end. Is this still a problem with a subframe in place?

Sorry if these have been answered before, I did try the search function for most and couldn't find what I needed.

Cheers!

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 08:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb29 View Post
Don't connect it to the lighter, you'll kill the fuse . I installed the pigtail directly to the battery and secured it with Velcro. It has plastic cover at the end to protect from weather.
I use a battery tender brand pigtail wired directly to the battery. The 7 amp in-line fuse is too small for many compressors so be sure to check yours if you have one. Because it's a rare and intermittent load, I did some testing and ended up installing a 15 amp fuse.

Russ
2007A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page