no mar tire changer. - Page 9 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 01:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Absolutely zero doubt in my mind that I have better leverage, access and control when changing a tire on a tire changer than changing a tire on the floor.
bigjohnsd, passx and dravnx like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 03:32 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Partially correct.

Pushing against something Adds poundage of pressure.

To push on something waist high your available poundage is from your upper body only. Legs, hips. and butt are out of the equation. The center of your mass is equal or below the object and off to the side,

To push on something on the floor your entire body weight is available. The center of your mass is above the object and can be centered.

Now if you want to throw in more variables like an assisting structure to hold the object, you must account for them equally. You can not compare processes when one has mechanical assistance that the other does not.

When I had my HF changer, I found it too high to get a good mechanical advantage... adequate, though I always wanted to cut it down 6". Cycle Hill for a floor mount as is, is definitely too low but entirely usable..... it was destined to be a hitch mount a fair bit higher... so I just built a sturdy base out of baltic birch and mounted it to a sheet of plywood I'd always have my feet on most of the time. Works great.
I spooned on a pair of dirt bike tires once and wondered how the heck anybody does trailside repairs... well, repairs OK but not replacing a tire on the trail, can't be easy.
passx likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #83 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 04:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Partially correct.

Pushing against something Adds poundage of pressure.

To push on something waist high your available poundage is from your upper body only. Legs, hips. and butt are out of the equation. The center of your mass is equal or below the object and off to the side,

To push on something on the floor your entire body weight is available. The center of your mass is above the object and can be centered.
I can more easily apply my entire mass to something that is waist high than I can on the ground on my knees.

At waist high all I have to do is lock my arms and lift my feet.
Haynes likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #84 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 05:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

If you have to put your entire weight downward on a Nomar, you're not doing it right.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ų bike=miles
smiles ų miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #85 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 09:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
If you have to put your entire weight downward on a Nomar, you're not doing it right.
Nobody said any different.

Wheel at waist high allows one to push or pull, lean into it. But a wheel on the ground requires one to hold it from scooting across the floor while pushing to make it scoot across the floor.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #86 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 10:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Not all tire beads are created equal. Some on a NoMar it is pull down on the bead breaker and the bead is popped and others one is looking for an extension for the bead bar. Harley tire with a tube is a bitch and a Gold Wing one will do once and never want to do another one. I had one where I used a ratchet strap to hold the tire/wheel down on the NoMar while trying to break the bead. I also changed my truck tires with the NoMar that had 8 in wheels.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)
post #87 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 12:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
Not all tire beads are created equal. Some on a NoMar it is pull down on the bead breaker and the bead is popped and others one is looking for an extension for the bead bar. Harley tire with a tube is a bitch and a Gold Wing one will do once and never want to do another one. I had one where I used a ratchet strap to hold the tire/wheel down on the NoMar while trying to break the bead. I also changed my truck tires with the NoMar that had 8 in wheels.
I once cut a tire off with a reciprocating saw. Do enough tires and every now and then one will kick your butt.
passx and ReRose like this.
post #88 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 07:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I once cut a tire off with a reciprocating saw. Do enough tires and every now and then one will kick your butt.
Yepper, mine was my buddies r1200rs this past summer, what a bitch ! Bmw did not have a center under cut in the wheels so there was no place to offset the bead.

I can also add that I ainít changing tires on the floor anymore even if thereís more leverage ! Nomar Classic is some of the best money Iíve ever spent ! I have a lot of spoons & levers intended for truck tires and I use them at times with the no-mar and have used them on a floor mount/dismount but I can definitely say that my back & kneeís love my no-mar !
ReRose likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #89 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 10:43 AM
Farkle Trainee

I've done a GW and used an extension bar and ratchet strap to hold wheel. Had a buddy bring in a wheel off his CBX project. It had a HD tire that was old, cracked, stiff and some kind of run flat thing with a double bead. We ended up sawzalling it off. Couldn't get the bead to break for nothing.
I've never thought to myself "self, wish this NoMar was on the floor so I could get more leverage".
Doesn't matter anymore though. Sold the NoMar, which I bought used, for what I had into it and bought a used automatic tire changer off CL. Life is much better.
passx and ReRose like this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ų bike=miles
smiles ų miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #90 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 12:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Iíve seen the videos but canít seem to hold everything else in the rim groove and walk the bar around wheel at same time. Takes more force than Iím willing to apply. Enough my rim starts slipping in clamps.

No-Mar says the bar/spoons are usually necessary on a GL1800 rear.
I had the same problem. What I have done is cut 1/2x3/4x2 pieces of PVC trim(Home Depot) or wood and have placed them between the rim and tire in several places around the tire, on the bottom and top. Helps to keep the tire in the center
N4HHE likes this.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page