Helmet question - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Well I pulled the trigger and bought a HJC i70 Eluma. Plus I got my Sena 10S unit all put in it as well. Much better fit for the speakers than my old HJC CL-SP. Got it just as rain set in for a couple of days so it may be a while before I get out to test it.

2014 FJR1300 ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 04:47 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Forgot to mention WebBikeWorld, They do a pretty good job of reviewing helmets.
snikr and Bill Lumberg like this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 09:17 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I use a Bell Riot helmet. It has a clear face screen which can be flipped up or replaced easily. I've always thought that Bell manufactures a quality helmet which provides good protection at a reasonable price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bell Riot Helmet.jpg (16.3 KB, 1 views)

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 09:23 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinFJRguy View Post
I'm going to suggest a Shoei RF1200. Here's why:

I was recently GIVEN an RF1200, and man am I impressed. I've heard it praised over and over again, but figured it couldn't be that much better than what I had. I was wrong. It is the smoothest and quietest helmet I've ever had.

Now, all that said, any polycarbonate helmet I've had has been quieter than the composite RPHA. So the i70 might be fine. I actually considered that helmet before I bought the RPHA 70. But I now see why the RF1200 gets praised. It is pricey. If you can afford it, I'd suggest it.

I also have a Shoei RF1200 and boy is it quiet and a top brand for helmet safety. I will only put Shoei, Schuberth or Arai on my head. You need your brains!

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 12:08 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdunc View Post
Quote:

I was recently GIVEN an RF1200, and man am I impressed. I've heard it praised over and over again, but figured it couldn't be that much better than what I had. I was wrong. It is the smoothest and quietest helmet I've ever had.

Now, all that said, any polycarbonate helmet I've had has been quieter than the composite RPHA. So the i70 might be fine. I actually considered that helmet before I bought the RPHA 70. But I now see why the RF1200 gets praised. It is pricey. If you can afford it, I'd suggest it.

I also have a Shoei RF1200 and boy is it quiet and a top brand for helmet safety. I will only put Shoei, Schuberth or Arai on my head. You need your brains![IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
Have one too. Shoei only for me. I find it funny that in the world of motorcycling people will ride on $25,000 motorcycles... with $150 lids on...lol. See it all the time in Atlanta. Helmet is not the area to skimp.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 09:05 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikr View Post
I'm thinking of replacing my 5 1/2 year old HJC CL-SP with a new helmet. I was thinking about the HJC i70 and I'm wondering if anyone has one and if they like it. I know a helmet is something that while someone may like it the next person may now. I'm just looking for some feedback before I try to find a dealer near me that might have one (Vermont dealers sometimes don't carry a lot of helmets). Thanks.
I just purchased an HJC F70 and installed the Sena 20B comm system. Feels and functions great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F70.jpg (142.5 KB, 8 views)

Ducit amor patriae
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 02:24 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRiderrr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdunc View Post
Quote:

I also have a Shoei RF1200 and boy is it quiet and a top brand for helmet safety. I will only put Shoei, Schuberth or Arai on my head. You need your brains![IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
Have one too. Shoei only for me. I find it funny that in the world of motorcycling people will ride on $25,000 motorcycles... with $150 lids on...lol. See it all the time in Atlanta. Helmet is not the area to skimp.
I don't really agree with you here. I don't think spending $4-600+ on a helmet means much of anything.
I was turned on to scorpion helmets by a WERA guy who doesn't skimp on safety, and they fit me really well. I like them better than many others I've tried, and they aren't very expensive at all. I spent $100 on my last EXO. My friend Mark likes Shark helmets. They're not expensive, either, but get some great results in testing and crashing.
I think if it fits right, has features you like, and tests well, the price is irrelevant.
snikr likes this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 06:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRiderrr View Post
Two and a half months ago, I had to put my FJR down on the pavement in an accident. Slid 40 feet with all of my safety gear with body armor and helmet on. Minimal road rash - almost gone now.

My clear face shield on my Shoei was scratched - that's it. My brain is fine.

Remember, it can and will happen. Been down twice and will never skimp on a helmet. $600-800 may seem to be a lot of money but when you go down, but it's easily a $5,000-25,000 cost to get your body and bike right (and that is you don't get really hurt). I controlled going down and only suffered a fractured index finger and broke a few ankle bones. Healing fine.

But please, save the money for a really good helmet. Bones and skin can heal but brain injuries tend to be permanent and catastrophic!

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Just to let everyone know I finally got out on a ride with my new HJC i70 and I really like it. It is lighter than my old HJC, quieter and the Sena 10S fit and works great. Thanks so much for all your input.
mobilemike likes this.

2014 FJR1300 ES
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 08:03 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikr View Post
Just to let everyone know I finally got out on a ride with my new HJC i70 and I really like it. It is lighter than my old HJC, quieter and the Sena 10S fit and works great. Thanks so much for all your input.
Great looking helmet, and got excellent crash ratings. Glad you like it.
I'm likely going to get a new lid this season, and that one is on my short list to check out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page