Sunglasses under helmet and without helmet? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Sunglasses under helmet and without helmet?

Good morning all - in these days of COVID-19, it's a bit more difficult to try on glasses. Question: What sunglasses have you found which fit comfortably when wearing a helmet, as well as block wind when riding sans helmet? (Yes, I expect to get lectured on riding without a helmet... )

Thanks!
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 10:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

My helmet has a drop down tinted visor so I don't need sun glasses. I wont ride without a helmet, you make the call if you don't need one. I did learn the hard way to time my long rides so Im not looking right into the sun when its close to the horizon.
bounce likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 10:06 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I don't think you can do it if you just want to rely on ONE pair.

With helmet, the skinny, straight kind will go inside the helmet easily. The wrap-around ones flare out at the sides and interfere with the open and full faced helmet and dig into your head. That's been my experience.

As for the helmets that have the drop-down sun shield, I haven't had one yet that really stops the sun's glare enough for me to ride without sunglasses.
dravnx likes this.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 10:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

I cannot answer your question directly as both of my helmets have the drop down shields and I don't need sunglasses.

I can suggest that you choose a helmet with channels for the glasses. Pop wears prescription glasses both clear and tinted. Our primary helmets are the Shoei Neotec and they have the channels so the glasses are not pressing into the sides of the head. That little bit of difference makes all day riding a lot more pleasant for Pop.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 10:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I snagged a cheap pair of polarized sunglasses my business partner was throwing away. For all his years it would seem he had never tried polarized sunglasses before, and hated them.

I had a pair of the ultra dark over-glasses things from my cataract surgeon that I really liked before the lens rubbed against something and got scratched. I like the cheap thrown away polarized sunglasses almost as much. Asked where he bought them and was told he forgot, but probably came from fishing department at Walmart.

So in short I'm suggesting you go to a sporting goods section and see what they have. The sunglasses in fishing supplies wrap around the face more than those in the fashion aisle. More coverage to keep out bright glare from sides.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 11:18 AM
Farkle Trainee

@N4HHE there is a caveat to the polarized glasses. They don't play well with digital screens. Seeing the GPS, the display on the gas pump or even the digital dash on the FJR can be problematic. It seems to me that the better the quality of the polarized glasses, the worse the problem with the displays. Tinted car windows will show a "basket weave" pattern, all sorts of distortions will show themselves.

Again I don't ride the bike(s) with sunglasses but I wear polarized glasses while driving and Pop's prescription sunglasses (Maui Jim) are also polarized.
bounce, Bill Lumberg and 2GENAE like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 11:38 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I wore my prescription Serengetti's with my Neotec, didn't use the sunvisor unless I really wanted it dark. Neotec's sunvisor is typical of a darker tint, and I did get a gradient very light tint shield and that was a good addition.

With the AGV, the tint on the sunshield is much lighter, initially I though too light, but works well with regular prescription glasses... a hair darker wouldn't hurt, but I can see my GPS without adjusting the tinted sunshield as I had to do on the Neotec.

I don't see any real advantages of either, just what works for you. IMHO sunglasses that protect are desirable, and eye protection if I'm not mistaken is a requirement in every jurisdiction, helmet or no helmet.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 11:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have yet to encounter a quality helmet that didn’t accommodate glasses. I have several pairs of Oakley’s, and a couple pairs of raybans that all fit fine with Nolan or Shoei modulars. I did find that Oakley gascans/fuelcells have temples that are so fat, they are irritating even with a ball cap.
bounce and SpokaneJim like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 12:04 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Wiley-X Gravity with Photochromic lenses. No issues day or night even when worn with my Shoei Neotec.

And because you asked for it, I'll guess you will wear mask over your face while shopping these days but nobody can tell you to wear a crash helmet.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 12:26 PM
FJR Top Gun

I spent years buying Ironman brand sun glasses that can be found on the rotisserie displays at places like Target. They work well, are decent quality for $ 25, and are basically disposable. I usually buy 3 pair in the spring that will last me all summer.

Do not get polarized sun glasses. They react with the visor lens of your helmet and create an iridescent rainbow effect.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page