Motorcycle transport recommendations? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 07:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

I shipped a K1200RS from Daytona, FL to Kokomo, IN for $500 using Keyboard Motorcycle Shipping.
GOV5 likes this.

Blchandl2
'15 FJR1300 (Primer)
PEACE, Something to shoot for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 09:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Right now I would say the best option is go drive and get it yourself if you can take a Uhaul trailer with you if your car/truck has tow package.

Last year I did a Uhaul motorcycle trailer with my SUV, a 4runner from Wheaton, IL to Missouri and back to Chicago same day. I left 4 am and was back 10 pm same day ! I think 1100 miles or so round trip

Many uship drivers are not going these days but you can make a listing online and see if someone available your route.

I would say at the moment just wait till things get back to normal in May !
N4HHE likes this.

Current Motorcycles

2014 FJR 1300 A Red

2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 Carburetted
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 11:14 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick80134 View Post
I'm looking to pull the trigger on an 07 about 400 miles away. Flying right now doesn't appeal to me. Anyone have experience with a Motorcycle transport company? What were the per mile costs?

Thanks,
Rick
Yes buddy last week i done it. I used enclosed motorcycle transport as i want optimal protection.
I shipped my bike using this motorcycle transport company (Citienshipper) as i got quality service over there. The pricing was pretty descent there.

I think for your 400 miles there can be a possible pricing near $200.

Best regards

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 10:16 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I trailered a bike from Shreveport, LA to Aggieland. 230 mi one way.

One day trailer rental, couple tanks of gas, for my '95 Rodeo, Coupe of stops for food, and bio. It was a great day, and only cost me $1,500 for the 1980 XS11SG, and about $100 for everything else.

Can you rent a car one way, and have a blast getting to know the new bike, on the way home? I might consider that!

It is stupid pricey, but what the heck, how about a "trailer in a Bag?" https://www.stingertrailer.com/produ...iler-in-a-bag/

It fits in a trunk, unassembled, and can bring a bike anywhere! Says it has a 2,000 lb axle.

Might be a good tool to have a club buy!

'06 FJR1300A Orion the Hunter

Greg
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 10:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

We eventually found a used Kendon single-place fold-up trailer at a tolerable price locally. These are absolutely excellent trailers and fit into a 2x7' space with ease. The Missus has no trouble unberthing, unfolding, and hitching up the thing to her car.
It's been used for several project bikes and probably has paid for itself in some different ways.
We had high-quality hitches installed on both her new SUV and my older Astro van (which gets the dog-body work of course).
A little bit ago I finished up a project bike I wish I'd kept, a crashed Ducati ST2. I managed to get it into pretty fine shape and running very nicely (for a spaghetti-bender with marinara for an ECU).
A buyer bit hard and really wanted it. He was a long-ago Duc owner and was hot to get back on a two-valver. But he was in the Detroit area and just plain couldn't figure out how to get the bike the 300 miles home.
He tried shippers and looked at renting trucks and trailers and what-all, but just couldn't get it done.
Finally, I got to the point where I said, "if you pay the asking price, I'll ride it there to a hotel next to the Dearborn Amtrak station and you can pick it up there."
He agreed, and I spent a lovely day with the Eyetie charmer, plunking along on US 12, the Chicago Road as the Michiganders call it until we met up as described. He paid in Venmo, I spent the night and grabbed the Wolverine back to Chicago Union (for a measly thirty-eight bucks), and thence home via Metra commuter rail. Pretty as a picture.
Too bad I started to fall in love with the stupid thing on the ride there.
Then I just recently picked a low-priced V-Strom 650 off of the Madison, Wisconsin Craigslist and just couldn't handle the thought of dr-dr-driving a c-ca-car all that way (170 miles).
So I zipped into downtown Chicago on a near-deserted commuter train (eight cars, a thousand seats, and maybe 30 people on the whole train), grabbed an intercity bus to Madison, where the seller met me at the bus station. Fifteen minutes later, I was homebound on a dubiously-maintained Wee with socked-out steering head bearings and who knows what else not in order.
But it got done.
Yes, I felt pretty darn lucky when I pulled into my garage on that one.
Chicago_FJR likes this.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
2004 V-Strom 650
2020 Ninja 400 in the hands of the Missus
2004 Suzuki SV650S, also Hers
2008 BMW F800ST, mixed.
In the avatar: 1966 Velocette Venom Thruxton and 1967 BSA Royal Star.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 08:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Iíve ridden us12 across Michigan multiple times, beautiful ride ! Very relaxed ride, you canít be-in a hurry. Hopefully you avoided I94 which is just pure craziness there. US12 would certainly be fun on a Duc !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 09:06 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Well, now I gotta go look at US12 on a Geo map!

When I can't ride, I go look at a map in satellite mode and dream of that ride...

'06 FJR1300A Orion the Hunter

Greg
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 09:19 AM
Farkle Trainee

Ha. US12 in Illinois and Michigan isn't a technical road in terms of curves and challenges, it's just an old, traditional two-lane main through highway between downtown Chicago and Detroit.
I don't normally get east on 12 past Niles, Michigan, or so, so it was a good trip. And paid for, making it even better.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
2004 V-Strom 650
2008 BMW F800ST, mixed.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 09:24 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'm confused. Why would anyone trailer an FJR when they could ride it? I saw a trailering of less than 500 miles which confuses me even more.
Haynes likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 09:30 AM
Farkle Trainee

Well, if you're by yourself and you need to get a bike home, it's the usual choice, since you need to get to the bike first.
N4HHE likes this.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
2004 V-Strom 650
2008 BMW F800ST, mixed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page